X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kylek100
    • Jun 2005

speakers for real men

Has anyone heard of a new B&W line coming out? My girlfriend's dad had a layover in salt lake the other day so he spent it going to speaker stores, and one of them had a full home theater system they were setting up that they said belonged to B&W. They called it "speakers for real men" i believe....He said the front three speakers were 15k each, and the whole 7 channel system was around 100k. According to him, the build quality on these things were unlike anything he had EVER seen, and he's not a B&W fan in the least. I did a little search on the internet but I am not seeing anything. From what he said the tweeters were not like the nautilus either....from what I remember the front speakers were a 4 way design that had a tweeter in the center that could be rotated to aim at the listener. Anyone heard anything about this?
    Denon 3805
    B&W 805S
    B&W 601 S3
    B&W HTM7
    Velodyne Digital Drive 12
    AudioQuest Clear 2 Hyperlitz
    AudioQuest Emerald Hyperlitz interconnects
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Only thing I could think of at that price is the B&W Nautilus 800 Signature. It was like $12k-13k each. The next speaker higher up in price is that snail speaker which is $20k a piece. To make $100k would mean he bought 7 of the exact $15k speakers. 7.1 did not exist 'back then' so that cancels any older speaker. Honestly, I don't believe the guy. Any one who would say "speakers for real men" sounds like someone full of it.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• johan
      • Dec 2004

Maybe it's theese ones..?

Comment

• Ryx
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by johan
        considering those were at a show from over a year ago, i would say they were a prototype, however would I ever like to take a close look (and listen) to those crazy looking things :E

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Those are new cinema line from B&W made just for high end HT use, and yes they are very exspensive.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• tdiciple
            • Nov 2005

Those look a little bit out of ordinary. I like it. I am just not sure I like the price though.

Comment

• Ryx
              • Oct 2005

ahhhh, that makes sense.

now to find a list of addresses for all the theaters that are equiped with those bad boys!! :B

Comment

• Ryx
                • Oct 2005

oh, for high end "home theater" use, sorry I missread that ops:

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

that is the CT (custom theater) range. My dealer is thinking about doing a room with them. problem is, there is not much information on them. he said the american distro equity had not sold any as of yet.

he was also saying that the sub does not come with the external bass management and that they daisy chain off of the left and right speakers.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• kylek100
                    • Jun 2005

how would these custom theater speakers sound compared to doing a whole 800 series theater? I'm just curious as to why we've not heard much about them...
                    Denon 3805
                    B&W 805S
                    B&W 601 S3
                    B&W HTM7

Comment

• Mitchell
                      • Sep 2004

I believe that the "real men" line of speakers has a bbq grill on top and beer holder on the side of the speaker. The speaker is acoustically tuned to resonate properly when filled with an average beer and some steaks.
                      I hope this is helpful
                      Mitchell

Comment

• speakerboy
                        • Nov 2005

If he visited the one and only B&W shop in Salt Lake, perhaps he was in the Wilson Audio theatre room?

Comment

• azsyno
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mitchell
                          I believe that the "real men" line of speakers has a bbq grill on top and beer holder on the side of the speaker. The speaker is acoustically tuned to resonate properly when filled with an average beer and some steaks.
                          I hope this is helpful
                          Yes... I think you have it covered. Are there any girls with high performance tweeters though? That's the part I think they're gonna miss. English lasses are lacking in the nice tweeter department. :-)

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Perhaps he was referring to these?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• kylek100
                              • Jun 2005

you guys act as if we know nothing about speakers. No they're not wilson maxx 2's....i have not heard them, but he flew to chicago and was less than impressed with them, surprisingly.
                              Denon 3805
                              B&W 805S
                              B&W 601 S3
                              B&W HTM7

Comment

• bigburner
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

Close. They're the Wilson Alexandria. Large and foreboding like a couple of blokes waiting to thump you at the end of the alley.

My post was making fun of the "real men" comment, nothing else I assure you.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by kylek100
                                  you guys act as if we know nothing about speakers. No they're not wilson maxx 2's....i have not heard them, but he flew to chicago and was less than impressed with them, surprisingly.
                                  Then please give us details (actual model name of the speakers) and pictures. You say 'we', but you haven't actually seen or heard the speakers yourself. Which is why I said that I think HE, not you.
                                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Cat Man
                                    • Jun 2005

May be the CT8

Greetings, I posted the following back in June...I think these speakers are the ones you a talking about......

B&W CT8 unveiling
                                    Last Thursday, June 23, '05, I went to a Home Theatre show put on by a high-end dealer here in the Evergreen State of Washington. Their location is only 3 miles from the World Headquarters of Microsoft and the North American headquarters of Nintendo, (Nintendo of America). It seems money is no object when it comes to the gear offered at this location.
                                    I was curious to see the theatres they had at their shop. There were 7 full-size home theatres and a couple more listening and viewing rooms. Mainly interested in Rotel and B&W, I was glad to see they had 4 reps there to talk about their product, (there may have been more, there was a dizzying amount of equipment shown).
                                    B&W unveiled (world unveiling according to them, at least in a retail environment) their new CT8 Loudspeaker. It was coupled with a Runco VX60 projector ($150K) and, I believe, a line of Classe` power. The CT8 are designed to be placed into in-wall cabinets, custom entertainment centers, etc. The CT8's are B I G. And the sound is B I G G E R. WOW factor off the chart.
                                    Put together and shown on a curved Stewart screen, the demo with the Runco was a true 2.35:1 Cinemascope Widescreen for your home.
                                    One last toy to mention...the D-Box motion simulator theatre chairs. Their rep said they have over 400 movies programmed for their tilting, jumping, rockin, scare-the-****-out-of-you, luxury seating. Again...WOW

Comment

• beehive
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by azsyno
                                      Yes... I think you have it covered. Are there any girls with high performance tweeters though? That's the part I think they're gonna miss. English lasses are lacking in the nice tweeter department. :-)
                                      this one is funny

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"