X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

X-men Origins: Wolverine

I am not a big X-Men fan so you can take what I say here with a grain of salt. I did find the first X-Men movie entertaining enough but have to say Wolverine just didn't measure up to it. It was okay and the blu-ray disc offered great picture and sound, but this is not a movie I'd care to watch again, so it was a rental. In fact, the only X-men movie I own is the first. But for the hardcore X-men fans, I'm sure they will love Wolverine. Others may want to rent it out of curiosity, especially if they have a Blu-ray player.
    My Homepage!
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

I'm not a huge X men fan either. I have read there comic books years ago , I watched the cartoon when it first came out years ago and I own all of the movies including Wolverine.
    I think it was a pretty good movie. I liked it. I own it and will watch it again. I thought the story was cool and the movies flowed well. Good mix of story and action.

As far as Picture and sound on Blu ray, it was excellent. Great recording and well placed action.

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I didn't actually find the PQ to be all that great. On some scenes, it felt a bit grainy. The movie was great to me. It didn't really follow the Weapon X story, but it was still entertaining. Deadpool was just too bad ass in this movie. I actually liked this over any of the other X-Men movies. It was less of a kid's movie though. But I already watched it twice. I'll watch it again.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Industrial
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by audioqueso
        I didn't actually find the PQ to be all that great. On some scenes, it felt a bit grainy. The movie was great to me. It didn't really follow the Weapon X story, but it was still entertaining. Deadpool was just too bad ass in this movie. I actually liked this over any of the other X-Men movies. It was less of a kid's movie though. But I already watched it twice. I'll watch it again.
        Compared to the Wolverine comics, the movie was Disney. I guess they had to keep it light to make money. If they would of make it more like the comic it would be kinda like the last Punisher movie but with claws and hopefully a better story.

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Industrial
          Compared to the Wolverine comics, the movie was Disney.
          Well, they haven't taken control of Marvel yet, but your comment still reminded me of this:

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Comment

• Industrial
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Brandon B
            Well, they haven't taken control of Marvel yet, but your comment still reminded me of this:
            Cute, I knew Disney is taking over Marvel but I didn't even think of that when I wrote my post. I wonder if this will cause all the marvel movies to be "Tame".

Comment

• gross30
              • Jun 2005

I did enjoy this movie, great sound and pic. Good action scenes as well.

Comment

• june
                • Feb 2005

hello all,

who makes the decisions on deleting scenes? the STORM scene could have been left in the final cut. also liked the "memory erasing" scene in the alternate scene better.
                June
                "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• H.T.C
                  • Nov 2003

Compared to the Wolverine comics, the movie was Disney. I guess they had to keep it light to make money. If they would of make it more like the comic it would be kinda like the last Punisher movie but with claws and hopefully a better story.
                  Well,the game version of the movie it was said had more gore than the film.
                  Robert

Comment

• Industrial
                    • Mar 2009

Originally posted by H.T.C
                    Played the demo and it's actually a good movie based game. He's more like in the comic.

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by H.T.C
                      That game is nasty for kids. You can see his ribs and stuff. It's probably the best movie-based game I've seen, but extremely graphic. It would be nice if the ending of the game foreshadowed the next Wolverine (Sentinals saga). :B

Comment

• Bmac
                        • Aug 2006

I was a fan of the comic...so my comments may be too esoteric, but the timeline is totally screwed. Logan's memory was erased, but nobody else had that issue. In later movies these people see each other again, they act like they have never met. I know Cyclops was blindfolded, but come on, no one described the man who set them free. Sabertooth doesn't act like he knows Wolverine in X-Men. These shortcomings are the problems of the X-Men Movies franchise. Could anyone explain, with twenty+ years of comics would you need to struggle with a screenplay? You have storyboards! I've never understood why they remake the wheel. Great artists and writers have given you years of canon, and that's not good enough . I'll get off my soapbox.

Anyway, picture and sound were good, but the movie was more of the same. If you liked X-Men, you'll love this... Me, not so much. Grade: C
                        Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• audioqueso
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Bmac, since you were a fan of the comics back then as I was, then you know you can't watch these Marvel movies with expectations of matching the comic. There are a lot of things that don't match. They don't make it to match exactly. But it's a good story line... it's somewhat solid... and they're entertaining, you know.

Comment

• Bmac
                            • Aug 2006

Bmac, since you were a fan of the comics back then as I was, then you know you can't watch these Marvel movies with expectations of matching the comic. There are a lot of things that don't match. They don't make it to match exactly. But it's a good story line... it's somewhat solid... and they're entertaining, you know.

Agreed, but with movies like Iron Man, 300, and the Watchmen. I think we need to hold them to a higher and tighter standard, they are making a movie based on Battleship the game. They are not above making another Wild Wild West. Yes, the Dark Knight did change somethings, but not a huge risk. I just think that sticking to the story makes and keeps more fans happy.
                            Epson Home Cinema 1080p, Panasonic TH42PX600U, Onkyo PR-SC 886, Earthquake Cinenova 7, Sony 400 Disk dvd, Paradigm studio 20' v.4s, Outlaw LFM-1 & LFM-2,Tripp lite line cond, Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD, Playstation 3, Roku, & WD TV, APC AV H15

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

True. But I'm talking about Marvel though. That's why I mentioned Marvel movies. Marvel movies are always made with entertainment in mind. Iron-Man is the exception... and I think mostly because of Jon Favreau. But you're right... Watchmen was an almost flawless transfer (I read the comic after the movie), and Dark Knight just set a new standard for comic movies.

Comment

• Brandon B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2001

Cute, I knew Disney is taking over Marvel but I didn't even think of that when I wrote my post. I wonder if this will cause all the marvel movies to be "Tame".
                                Don't think so. The acquisition is to acquire some property suited for their most weakly served demographic, teen and older boys. To turn around and water it down and piss off that crowd would be counter-productive. Iger's a pretty on-the-ball CEO, and unlikely to let that happen.

No, my concern is over-saturating the market with a successful product. We don't seem to be able to resist that tendency.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                  • Dec 2008

Funny how when Wolverine pulls out the claws there is never any blood or guts.
                                  I must be an animal LOL.But I understand they have limits.
                                  I have the movie,watched it twice.And again at times.I hope they make another.
                                  At least it was more intense than the previous x-men movies.
                                  A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

They do show that he bleeds (bone or metal)... but only the first time. After that, there's no blood. It was the same in the comics.

...and guts??? You want his skin tissues to go flying out of his hands? ha ha ha

Comment

• Industrial
                                      • Mar 2009

They do show that he bleeds (bone or metal)... but only the first time. After that, there's no blood. It was the same in the comics.

...and guts??? You want his skin tissues to go flying out of his hands? ha ha ha
                                      I think they mean other peoples tissues
                                      Last edited by Industrial; 29 September 2009, 21:56 Tuesday.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                        • Dec 2008

Yes...I was referring to other people.LOLI think there could have been some pretty sick visuals with blood dripping of claws like that.Not even Jason from Friday he 13th stacks up to those claws. But to wolverines credit he did swear.LOL Cover your ears kiddies.
                                        A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

I got a copy from the Red Box last week.

By far, the best of Xmen series, IMHO.
                                          I am no aficionado of Marvel characters, so the storyline was all new to me.
                                          I felt it was a V well done 'fantasy', with excellent script and acting.

I get these types of flicks for pure escape and entertainment, this one delivered the good for me.
                                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"