X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FiberTek
    • Nov 2005

Better Amp Improve My B&W CDM1-NT's?

Hello,
    I have a pair of CDM1-NT's currently powered by a Pio Elite 56Txi. This setup works well for HT but recently I've been using the system more for music. I was considering adding a 2ch amp to power my fronts. I am not looking to improve the sound at louder levels, I live in an apartment so I don't have a chance to listen at high levels, so my goal is to achieve a more detailed, open sound. Would an amp help this to happen? I am not sure if the Elite's pre section will color the sound too much voiding the benefits of an external amp. The amps I've been considering are the Classe CA-100 & Musical Fidelity ACR3.2. I understand that most would suggest a seperate pre but I cannot afford one at this time. Thanks for any suggestions.'

Jeff
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

Those speakers can't be *that* hard to drive, so not sure that a new amp would change much. If you listen to more music, you would get the biggest benefit by upgrading to full range speakers like the 704's, left-over CM's, XT's, or what-ever you want..

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

I would agree...I don't think you're going to gain that much over your Pioneer. The 56Txi is a nice reciever, and should handle them just fine. I used to have a 45tx that I used with 1NTs and 602s. I had to upgrade to an external amp when I upgraded to 9NTs for fronts, however, 'cause they are a bit harder to drive (can dip to 3 ohms on loud passages, explosions, etc.).
      Brad

Comment

• FiberTek
        • Nov 2005

Thanks for the info! I think what I'll do before spending any $$$ on upgrades is work on my rooms acoustics. BTW, are there any "monitor" speakers that might be better for music such as 705's or 805's? I don't have a lot of room but perhaps if I rearange things I can fit some 704's in. How do the 704's compare to the 7nt or 9nt? Also, if I do move up to the 805's or one of the three mentioned models would the 56txi be enough to drive them?

Thanks again!
        jeff

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
          Since "loud" is not your goal, why not consider a used small tube amp? Say 35 or so W per channel. Compared to what you are considering, you will hear a real difference and may learn something valuable. If you don't like the results you can sell the amp and not loose a great deal. My bet is you will like what you hear a lot.

Sparky

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Jeff, that Classe or MF idea you had would be a big improvement for you.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• JKalman
              • Nov 2005

Can't go wrong with either of those quality products, and then you'll have a nice amp if you decide to upgrade your speakers later on.

Comment

• FiberTek
                • Nov 2005

Thanks for the suggestions! I've still been searching for an amp at a good used price. I've seen a couple and unfortunately the listings seem fishy. It appears that there are a lot of bogus listings these days. The only experience I have with tube amps is on the musical side. I use to play bass and I had an ampeg tube amp. It was awesome and blew away most solid state amps. Any suggestions on good, reasonably priced, tube amps? I'm still leaning toward classe, and mf presently.
                Jeff

Comment

• GregLett
                  • May 2005

May I suggest PrimaLuna Prologue four or five.
                  High-fidelity music systems. Precision selected rare tubes. We treat your system like it's our own. This is Music Illuminated.
                  Greg

Comment

• texasbwfan
                    • Sep 2005

How long have you owned your PrimaLuna amp? What speakers are you driving with the amp? What amps have you owned in the past that you could compare this unit to? I'm curious as to how these amps compare with higher priced alternatives such as: McIntosh, Krell, Classe, Music Fidelity, etc. Thanks!
                    texasbwfan

Comment

• GregLett
                      • May 2005

I actually don't have the PrimaLuna amp, I have their preamp. One of my listening buddies has the PrimaLuna Prologue Two INT.
                      He is driving Paradigm Monitor 11's with his amp, and it does an excellent job.
                      hearing that amp got me interested in the PrimaLuna line. I like what the Preamp does for
                      my system, I'm not convinced that I wan to go all tubes though. I actually like
                      the sound of my system (except bass) at the moment. I'm replacing
                      my current speakers with B&W XT4's in a couple of weeks.

I've only owned Rotel amps. I've had in home demo's of Classe ca201,
                      and Bryston 3B SST Those demo's were done when I owned
                      the Paradigm S2 speaker. It's a tough choice between them, I would
                      pick any one. The Bryston and the Rotel RB-1080 were the same to me
                      I would not spend the extra money for the Bryston 3B. The Classe actually
                      gave the speakers some weight, so If I had to pick a winner I would say Classe.
                      Greg

Comment

• FiberTek
                        • Nov 2005

Well after doing a lot of reading I'm now going to give a tube amp a try. I'm about to pull the trigger on a TAD-60. The price as new is very good. I am impressed by what I have read about the product & the person, "Paul Gryzbek," who builds this amp. He also sells a TAD-150 pre that's capable of HT Bypass so that may also be a purchase to be made. I'll be sure to post my experience. Thanks
                        Jeff
                        Last edited by FiberTek; 03 December 2005, 14:56 Saturday.

Comment

• GregLett
                          • May 2005

The price is nice h: Keep us in the loop.
                          Greg

Comment

• FiberTek
                            • Nov 2005

I purchased a TAD-150 preamp and TAD-60 tube amp. So far I am impressed! For 2ch listening there is no comparison. My speakers sound as if they previously lacked range that in comparison to what I hear now. With the new setup I hear a more detailed wider sound. The music sounds layered. From what I understand this equipment sounds better after 30hrs of use so I'll post more after this is reached. I am using the TAD-150's HT bypass so I'm getting the best of both worlds, great HT from my 56txi and superb 2ch from the TAD eqpt.
                            Jeff

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"