X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monkeyboy69
    • Oct 2004

well I've done it

today saw me have the 2nd demo in as many weeks of potential speakers on my hit list. I chose 2 very different souding speakers the m+k 150 and the b+w 805s. Coming from 602 I was keen to see the improvements to the 800 series.

The m+k setup had 3 150 at the front with k4 at the rear and a velodyne 1200 splII for sub purposes. After several fantastic dvd demos I was really warming to this setup there was lots of clarity , dialogue was precise and the movie surrounded you to the point that you didn't want to change disk. Particular favourites heard were the blue man group in 5.1 ( this has got to be on everyones demo disk catlogue for sure) and varying perspective from a F1 motor car while it hurtles around a track. This was absolutley jaw droppingly good. I then proceeded to 2 channel stereo and I'm afraid it all went to pieces, couldn't clearly define instrumental parts and they blended together too much which is strange as the 5.1 dvd sounded the opposite. It seemed to back up what I'd heard on forums as great for movie but lacking when you come to pure music. Now this coudl have been due to the setup not being done correctly for the room, but if someone want me to spend that sort of money they should have that side of things sorted ...no

Today I went and heard the 805s with a htm4 , scm in the rear and a 8225 sub. started on 2 channel this time and instantly I can only describe it as the "grin factor" Here was the clarity I was after. Surprisley they went lower than I expected on the large setting, but obviously there needed to be a sub in there for the real low end stuff. Instrument were so easy to pick they were extremely easy to listen to, mid and treble were the absolute dogs danglies.
    Moving over to film the HTM4 really bought some detail out of disks I'd heard many times before but had failed to hear properly. A very nice front soundstage that blended easily when sound panned across it. The scm were extremely good at the back even though these weren't an option I was looking at, by throwing all sorts behind me. The Pod scene from star wars 1 (call me predicatble) was given a new lease of life.

looks wise, well .. no comparison b+w hands down. Bear in mind that these speakers both sell for the same price. I couldn't move the salesman on the m+k , no chance while the b+w could be negotiated with.
    I felt I could be happy with the m+k particularly film wise but would slightly cringe on music and couldn't justify spending that sort of money feeling "if only I'd bought ...."

so I signed on the dotted line and now have the 805s with a htm4 , should be with me in a couple of days
    :lol:
    Last edited by monkeyboy69; 06 November 2005, 10:10 Sunday.
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Nice choice for speakers & pre/pro/amp. You will need to add a sub though - happy hunting. I just got a discontinued B&W ASW800 for a steal. You may be able to find them still around.

Comment

• 77engineer
      • Mar 2003

Congragulations on your 805s. I am kind of in the same boat I put in an order today for some 804s in cherry. I should be able to pick them up in a week or two. The only problem now is I need to come up with some way to get a center channel to match up with them.

AC

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

monkeyboy69, kudos on your speaker selection. I always felt that a set of 805S's, SCMS's and HTM4 made a great combination for HT buffs.

77engineer, are you planning to mate the HTM3S with your 804S's?
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• 77engineer
          • Mar 2003

The HTM3s is my ultimate goal but since my dealer will let me upgrade over time I may go with a HTM4s and upgrade it a little later down the line. Once I get them I hope to post some pictures in the picture thread.

Comment

• monkeyboy69
            • Oct 2004

in an ideal world I would have loved to have got the 804 or 803's but think if I ever heard them I'd only pine for them, but think the marriage might go down the pan. So I've come to the conclusion of not listening to anymore and just be happy with what I've got, which under the circumstances 805s , htm4 being driven by the arcam av8, p7 isn't that bad :roll:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"