X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

800 series and tube amps

We have a lot amp discussion here.
    All concerning the well known transistor brands.
    Are there any people using tubes ???
    What are the experiences??

Gr

Gerard
  • Seeme
    • Dec 2004

Hi gerardhn,

I have found that tubes though they sound great in the higher freq. they do not have enough power to push the bass in the B&W's like solid state equipment can. I like a dynamic sound and the tubes are warm and inviting but lack the... as I like to say "Meat and Potatoes: .

JHMO.

Comment

• scottielee
      • Apr 2005

depends on the sensitivity and impedance of your b&w. for my 88db 4.6ohm minimum signature 805, 30 class A tube watts are enough to get me smiling

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

Hi, tubes may be great for a simple speaker like 805, but according to a B&W marketing manager:

Tubes are not appropriate for B&W speakers because of the transformers. That can make a good illusion on simple music but the impedance curve of a modern speaker is much too tormented for tubes. When one compares two B&W on an amplifier with tubes, you hear the impact of the transformers on the frequency filters, rather the quality of the speakers.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"