X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pedro77
    • May 2010

Entry level tube/valve amp advice

Hi

I'm interested in getting a tube amp and was hoping someone here may have listened to a couple of the amps I'm considering. I basically got interested when I read some rave reviews about the great value of the Miniwatt S1, which has since been superseded by the N3.

As 2 of these amps are shipped directly from manufacturers I haven't been able to audition them myself. I have gone to a local stereo store and compared a Prima Luna Prologue One and the Cayin A-55TP and to my ears the Prima Luna sounded amazingly rich and superior to the Cayin.

I'd like to set up one of these amps to listen to music on my front speakers (Orpheus Aurora 2.3) over an Airport Express streaming lossless music files. And for convenience possibly have the tube amp connected to the front pre-outs on my surround amp and have the tubes drive the fronts for all sources.

So my current list is out of three amps which span the entry level price point and all use different tube types. They are:

1. MiniWatt N3 ($480 AUD delivered) 2x3.5W 1x12AX7 2x EL84 Pros- Cheapest Cons- Perhaps underpowered although a couple of positive reviews say it's enough

2. Neuhaus Labs T-2 ($934 AUD delivered) 2x20W Tubes 4-6N7 2-6N1 2-6N3. Pros- Includes Optical and USB in and has remote control and headphone out Cons- Is the digital input just a gimmick and is the DAC in the Airport Express or Onkyo 705 sufficient?

3. Prima Luna Prologue One ($1500 AUD demo stock with scratch RRP $2500 AUD) 2x35W Tubes 4 x EL-34, 2 x 12AX7, 2 x 12AU7. Pros- I've listened to it. Saving $1000 for a scratch. Cons- Minimal features for price. Is this overkill for entry level?

So if anyone has any opinions I'd really appreciate your advice. Reviews on all of these has been positive, as are most reviews I've looked at on entry level tube amps. It's hard to find a good comparison guide. Look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers
  • twitch54
    • Apr 2006

Of the three you mention I'm only familiar with the PrimaLuna, with that being said I can't imagine the Miniwatt N3 being capable @ only 3.5 watts no matter what 'the reviews' said....remember, the room demensions and accoustics Do have an effect. While your speakers are quite efficient there's just no amount of head room with that little amp and I suspect your highs will be noticeably rolled off and forget about control in the bottom two octaves.

As for the Neuhaus, again I have no working knowledge of that piece either

as for real advice, here's mine.........if this is your first foray into valves / tubes stay with a well known company if for no other reason than ...SUPPORT, Warranty, etc. I believe Prima Luna in conjunction with Upscale Audio gives you that.

I will offer you one or two other affordable suggestions as well......Rogue Audio and Jolida. I own both and know the owners of both companies and consider them to be fine components for the $$ spent combined with excellent support.
    Dave

Comment

• pedro77
      • May 2010

Hi twitch

Thanks for the advice and info. Bit the bullet and went with the amp I first heard and liked immediately...the PrimaLuna Prologue One. It was more expensive than I had originally planned but it was nearly half its retail price and it's sounding awesome so far. A nice, rich and warm sound and a great soundstage that sounds like I have the centre speaker running as well.

Thanks again for the helpful thoughts and tips.

Cheers
      Pete

Comment

• jpedro
        • Jun 2010

Oi Pedro77,

I have a PrimaLuna Prologue one. Is the best buy.
        With a B&W 805s is a sweetness.

Cheers,
        JPedro

Comment

• 2gumby2
          • Jun 2010

Take a look at what Niteshade Audio has to offer at the link here. I think Blair could set you up with something you would like.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I've never heard any of the Niteshade lines, but if they sound like they look then WOW! Beautiful amps. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"