• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • legion1capone
    • Oct 2008

Tube amp question

I am running a Modified Jolida 302B
    With Tung Sol EL34B power tubes

Roughly 2 months ago I heard a loud pop through my speakers. I didn't see the tube blow but when I checked it, it was blown. I ordered 2 pairs of new power tubes for my amp. I only replaced the side that needed replacing with 2 new power tubes and left the left side alone (just rebiased).
    I have been noticing that I have been getting more volume out of the right side than the left, and the bass is greatly amplified compared to the left side.

1. Could this be caused by the new tubes on the right channel and the older tubes on the left channel?
    2. Should I replace the old tubes in the left channel with the new power tubes I have and rebias again?
    3. Would this have something to do with the 12AT7's or the 12AX7's? I'm guessing not but I thought I'd ask and make sure.

I also notice with the balance at dead center that the soundstage is just to the right.
    4. Should I just use the L&R balance, stop being picky and listen to the music?

Any input would be much appriciated.
    Thanks, Kelly
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

I think the transconductance of tubes change over time, and they wear out. Hence, the need for rebiasing. So, that could be the reason you have more gain in the right channel. But, seems kind of strange that the transconductance would increase over time (I don't know tubes very well, but I love to speculate) and the right tubes are older.

Also could just be that the new tubes you bought have slightly different specifications. Probably best to buy all new output tubes when some wear out.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Bob Scott
      • Apr 2009

Trade the tubes from L-R and R-L. See if the problem follows the tubes.
      I have never heard of a tube "popping" and then being "blown". What is the current definition of "blown"? If the heater were to go open suddenly, the sound would slowly fade, not pop. It sounds more like a problem with a cap or resistor. You will find out if the problem does not follow the tubes when you swap them.

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Ditto what Bob says! First, see if the fault moves with the tube, but I suspect you've blown something passive in the amp itself. Tubes sofen over time (plate wear or oxydisation), they don't blow, unless its the heater in which case it'll be dead (no light inside either). You should probably get someone to check the amps.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"