X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyH
    • Sep 2005

704 vs 705

Quick question for you all. I am getting ready to order a set of 705's and I wonder if anyone has compared the 704's to the 705's. By the time you buy stands for the 705's, you could almost buy a set of 704. It would be coupled to a HTM7 Center, ASW675 Sub and some DSC6 surrounds. All Rotel gear as well.

Thanks
    John
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

The 705 are better suited to the HTM7 center than the 704, that is the only reason to choose them. If stereo music is important to you, get the 704, if movies are important get the 705 + HTM7. The extra bass driver in the 704 makes a world of difference, and is preferable to 2x 705 with a single sub. I compared, and bought the 704.

Comment

• ChrissB
      • Jul 2005

I've had both 705s and 704s and both of them are great speakers But I think u'll be better with 704s.

Comment

• JohnnyH
        • Sep 2005

Thanks for the replys so far guys. Music and Movies will be equally as important with this system. Music probably slightly more.

Comment

• Armbender
          • Jul 2005

If the 705's are more suited to the HTM7, than what would the 704's be matched up with? I too am looking at this set-up in the near future
          Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• ChrissB
            • Jul 2005

Well a friend of mine has 704s for fronts, htm7 for center and four 705s for surrounds....IHMO htm7 is fine with 704s.
            As 2 channel stereo is equally important to you, you must keep in mind that 705s will behave like monitors (so music wont have "full body"). Between the 2 I think 704s are great for HT and better for music. Try to audition all of them 1st as personall taste is always a big factor.

P.S. excuse my use of English as it is not my native language and I might write in a funny way

Comment

• dan87951
              • Nov 2005

Since you are doing a dual duty system (music/movies) I would do the 704's and HTM7 setup. If I was you I would look at a different sub other than the ASW675. For movies the ASW675 did not provide the punch that I expected at all. Very disapointing! Bass and SPL was lacking terriably with this sub. If you have a large room and you put this sub in there it will be very apparent that this sub lacks the bass. B&W builds great speakers but subwoofers im not so sure about unless your spend thousands! If your dealer is a Paradigm dealer as well I would look at the PW-2200 v.2 instead of the ASW675, they should be about the same price.
              dan87951
              audio guru

Comment

• JohnAng
                • Sep 2005

i would go the 704's. In HT use just cross them over at 60Hz along with your centre and rears and let the sub take care of anything bellow that.
                This way t least the 704's and htm7 will be better matched.
                In 2 channel mode you can then run it in bypass mode and run the 704's at full range.

Comment

• thyname
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                  If stereo music is important to you, get the 704, if movies are important get the 705 + HTM7. The extra bass driver in the 704 makes a world of difference, and is preferable to 2x 705 with a single sub.
                  Good to know! How about 704 compared to 703? Is there a big difference, apart from an extra bass driver? I plan to use a sub for a 2.1 stereo anyway.

Comment

• csuzor
                    • Nov 2004

I had to listen very carefully, and make quick A/B comparisons, to clearly identify the advantages of my 703 over my 704. But yes, once you know what you're listening for, the advantages are evident. The FST driver makes female vocals more realistic, and the extra bass driver helps create more clarity.

I did this test before upgrading my source, and now my sony sacd also helps in these same 2 domains, so perhaps the difference will be more obvious now? Anyway, the difference is a little like upgrading a source component, you have to listen carefully, and find music that shows the difference.

Let me be clear in my opinion: if movies are >80% of your intent, get the 705 + HTM7 + sub, otherwise get the 704 for stereo music.

Comment

• JohnAng
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by thyname
                      Good to know! How about 704 compared to 703? Is there a big difference, apart from an extra bass driver? I plan to use a sub for a 2.1 stereo anyway.
                      As mentioned above, its not just the extra river, but the FST midrange driver used in it. There is a difference, i listened to both the 704 and 703 and found the 703 to be better with vocals and overal midrange clarity.
                      On the other hand though, they may not be suited to all as the top end can be a little bright if not matched with the right amp, so definately try and audition them with the amp you are going to use to make sure they suit your needs

Comment

• thyname
                        • Jan 2005

Thank you for the info guys, the different (FST) midrange had escaped me. I am going to use my future speakers in a stereo setup with Rotel RB-1080/RC-1070 combo with RCD-1072 cd player. Any experiences with the above setup and 703s, 704s??

Comment

• JohnAng
                          • Sep 2005

i am running the 703 with the 1098 pre, 1080 power and 1072 cd player.
                          It is an awsome setup, but like everything else i strongly recommend you have a listen to that combo for yourself. It may not suit everyone.
                          The sound can be very forward and bright with this setup, and in the wrong room, could sound terrible. If your room is not sound friendly deffinately consider the 704's.
                          What i loved about the 703's was the midrange and top end clarity. Vocals are amazing with these speakers.
                          The bottom end at first i thought was a little shy but once run in, they play down to 40Hz very well, its still not wall shaking type bass, but blends in very well with the rest of the sound.

Comment

• Mitchell
                            • Sep 2004

I have 703's. I drive it with the exact setup you describe, 1080, 1070 1nd 1072.
                            I started looking at the 705's as you did. We live in an apt in NYC and while a relatively large apt, saving space is always a good thing. But the 705's just didnt cut it with me. Anemic low end and they just did not have the fullness of sound I wanted in an expensive system. I then auditioned the 704's and finally settled on the 703's after deciding that the 800 series while even better was not affordable. I had to draw the line.
                            The 703's had good low end great midrange and a clean sound I love. Some argue that they are a little bright. I find it really depends on the source. they are very revealing. Bad recordings sound bad, good recordings sound good.
                            My system is all music no Ht and I listen to rock, jazz and classical. I find they really shine for jazz.
                            IMHO the best thing to do is audition, audition, audition and then buy the best you can afford knowing full well that there is almost always better unless you have an unlimited budget.
                            I hope this is helpful.
                            Mitchell

Comment

• JohnnyH
                              • Sep 2005

Thanks to everyone for your advise. It sounds like almost everyone chose the 704 over 705's. I'm just concerned how the HTM7 will sound with the 704. Guess I'll have to listen to find out.

John

Comment

• JohnAng
                                • Sep 2005

i'd say it would be a good match with the 704, the 703 on the other hand have a different sound due to the mid.
                                i run the 703 with the HTM7 and 705 for rears, and yes you can tell the difference when listening to tones and setting up, but in all seriousness, during movies, you won't notice it

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"