X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seeme
    • Dec 2004

Stop the Press!! 802 owners need to read

Guys,

I was in Seattle recently and I was checking out the local audio stores as I always do when I'm traveling and I came across the Musical Fidelity kW 500 connected to the new 802D's. I know it's an integrated amp but it made the 802's sing. If you get a chance give this a listen.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

I've got a funny feeling that 802D's will sound good with lots of different amps!

Comment

• Cowanrg
      • Feb 2004

SO not true. they sound terrible with a LOT. they are very picky with power. a KW500 is one of the good options.

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Cowanrg
        SO not true. they sound terrible with a LOT. they are very picky with power. a KW500 is one of the good options.
        That still leaves LOTS of amps though, doesn't it?

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

In my years I have found B&W speakers to be very picky with what you power them with. Certain amps and pres sound great while other sound aweful.

B&K sounds really good with the older N803's and 4's. I liked it much better then Rotel.
          Then theres Krell which I found to bring out all kinds of detail in the N803's.

You gotta hear differnt stuff to decide which is right.

mantis

Comment

• Seeme
            • Dec 2004

I too have found B&W speakers to be very picky in regards to the amplifier selection and that's one of the reasons why I decided to let everyone know about the kW 500. It's hard for us to be able to listen to all of these great amps, as some are not even carried in our area, so I thought it would be good to share another option for those that can not find local dealers. I think as it stands Classe, Krell, and Mac's are no brainners when it comes to B&W's but I agree with Cowanrg and Dmantis. I have heard so many amps connected to the 802's that left me saying "Why would anyone spend this amount of money on these speakers" but I was glad to hear the 802's on a good amp finally that changed my mind and I'm glad I did.

Happy Listening.

Comment

• aphexist
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seeme
              I have heard so many amps connected to the 802's that left me saying "Why would anyone spend this amount of money on these speakers" but I was glad to hear the 802's on a good amp finally that changed my mind and I'm glad I did.
              Don't be so coy. What were the "bad" amps? And where was this 802 listening party that you apparently attended?

Comment

• Seeme
                • Dec 2004

Well... The listening party for the most part took place at my house I have been blessed enough to be able to bring home a lot of great amp's to audition with the 802's.

Here is a list that I have personally tried to name a few: "I have been able to hear all in my home except for the Music Fid., Levinson and Halcro but those three had the same Meridian Pre-Amp as I do connected to them."

Proceed AMP5 - Didn't like
                Aragon 8008ST - Didn't like
                Krell TAS - Loved
                KAV-250 - Didn't like
                Blue Circle BC202 - Loved
                Krell FPB350Mc - Loved
                Jeff Rowland 302 - Really Loved
                Linn Klimax - Didn't like
                Bryston 14Bst, 7Bst 9BST - In-Between
                Theta Dreadnaught - Didn't like
                Aragon Palladium Mono Amps - Didn't like
                Halcro - Liked
                Classe - Loved
                Music Fid. - Loved
                Mac - Liked
                B&K - Liked for the price
                Levinson - Liked some and Loved others -

My opionion is only based on the B&W 802's and 804's. Not on the amp's but how the amps made the 802/804 sound. JMHO

Basiclly what we are saying is that, they are a ton of great amps but in the end it comes down to system synergy with regards to the 800 series speakers.

I have heard other amps through my travels but they where connected to different equipment and I didn't like the way they sounded or they where connected to other equipment.

The only other Amps I would like to hear are as followed:
                Pass Lab
                Boulder
                Lamm
                Audio Research
                Bel Canto
                Sim Audio

Comment

• Blazar
                  • Feb 2004

I personally want to know how they 802D would sound with Nuforce 9's or a PS Audio ICEpower based product.

I am waiting personally to change my rotel 1095 5 channel amp to one of these switching class D units but ONLY when they reach a signal to noise and THD threshold that is significantly better than class AB units.
                  Blazar!
                  (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

• xk8boy
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Blazar
                    I personally want to know how they 802D would sound with Nuforce 9's or a PS Audio ICEpower based product.
                    Anyone???

Comment

• Seeme
                      • Dec 2004

Unfortunately, I have never come across either of those amps in my travel. Hopefully someone in the forum has tried them. Sorry.

Comment

• dan87951
                        • Nov 2005

My local dealer had a set of 802D's connected to a Rotel RB-1090. Absolutely stunning the sound that was coming from them, but at 10k+ a pair it will be a while before I can afford them.
                        dan87951
                        audio guru

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"