X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • azsyno
    • Oct 2005

New member - with new 703's

Guys - thanks to a lot of reading I've been doing in this forum as of late, I went ahead and ordered a set of black 703's last nite. Now I'm in the hurry up and wait mode for Friday when they will be set-up and calibrated to my system. *hurry!*

Currently my system is pretty mid-range...

Yamaha RxV-1400
    Marantz DVD
    Samsung DLP
    4 - B&W 602 S3 (edited!) (front two will be replaced by the 703's)
    ASW-600 Sub and the matching Center Channel

I'm looking (thanks to you and my audio store) to add a Rotel 1080 to run the 703's.

I'll post pics when they arrive. Meanwhile, if anyone has reco's for inexpensive cabling to tie these two together I'd appreciate the info. with the speakers and the amp, the budget is already blown, but as always, I'll listen to your advice and make decisions according to what I want, not what is reasonable. :-)

Thanks in advance for your reco's!
    Last edited by azsyno; 26 October 2005, 06:18 Wednesday.
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

It'll be interesting to hear what you think of the 703s...

if at first you aren't happy with them, it's probably because of the yamaha. I had the 1400 and heard it on the 703s and 803s and couldn't stand how it sounded, but liked it with the 604s. Since then I've gotten the RSP-1098 and the 1095...and can say that those work much better with the 700 and 800 series.

I think you just got bit with the upgradeitis bug!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
      if at first you aren't happy with them, it's probably because of the yamaha.
      That is pretty true; FST-equiped B&W's reveal not only the music, but the electronics (amp & source) quality or harshness too

Comment

• azsyno
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
        I think you just got bit with the upgradeitis bug!
        I knew that!

Problem is that I want to use the system equally among movies and music - and the Yamaha is pretty good at allowing max flexibility with HT. As I get more into this I'll probably, as you suggest, get a better AV Receiver/Amp. For now, the Rotel is looking like something I can add now, and still keep regardless of my receiver choice.

Thanks for the words though!

Comment

• Mitchell
          • Sep 2004

I have 703's and a 1080 for 2channel music only.
          I am very happy and was not a believer in break in. I am now. Big difference over time.
          I dont know much about cables but lots of people speak well about cat cables the sponsor of this forum.
          As I have found this and other HT forums very helpful and enjoyable, I will make a point of at least exploring cat for any upgrades I do.
          I hope this is helpful.
          Mitchell

Comment

• JohnAng
            • Sep 2005

what i would do as the first step in the upgade path is to use your yamaha as a dd/dts processor and use it to power your centre and rears. Then get yourself a Rotel 1080 for the 703's thats a match made in heaven. Later down the track you could add a 1075 or 1095 for your centre and rears and if you feel you need to eventualy get a new pre

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

they started making the 600s in S4 now? Or is that just a typo?

Comment

• azsyno
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
                they started making the 600s in S4 now? Or is that just a typo?
                Typo - and edited in the original thread. Ha - I needed to look at the speakers themselves to know for wure. :-)

ME = Newb.

Comment

• csuzor
                  • Nov 2004

Great choice azsyno, love my 703s. The 1075 was a better choice for me than the 1080, because of mch music (3x 1080 would have been better, but unreasonable). Now, I'd go for the 1077 (pending a good listening session at the store).

You'll want to upgrade the center channel soon, and that is when the choice becomes difficult. B&W just isn't listening to us, the HTM7 is not appropriate.

PewterTA, what have you done to the Trans AM ?? How could the Semi Truck and You both win this contest ?

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
                    PewterTA, what have you done to the Trans AM ?? How could the Semi Truck and You both win this contest ?
                    His TransAm lost but I guess he won by not being hurt...

Comment

• azsyno
                      • Oct 2005

you'll want to upgrade the center channel soon, and that is when the choice becomes difficult.
                      Interesting comment - if I were looking for one, where would the board point me? For now I am fine... but inthe future, I'd be willing to entertain a good solution for the center piece.

Today was a good day... 703's are in early and being brought over and calibrated tonight. AND, I will have a 1080 installed tonight too...

Yay!!!

Comment

• grit
                        • Jan 2005

Sweet! Despite the natural urge to want to use the sub, be SURE to try your source in analog bypass mode. There's a chance (depending on the DACs et. al. components) that it may sound better than digital PCM mode.

Comment

• csuzor
                          • Nov 2004

I forgot to add, take your time with the 703s, I bought a new 703 and compared to 6m old 703 in my system, and the difference was very audible... especially the 2 bass drivers which need time to reveal their ability. At least 24 hours continuous music at reasonable levels. I suspect the ASW-600 is not going to add much to the 703, make sure you don't cross them over too high... 703 are good down to 40Hz! And don't decide on the sub settings until the 703 are broken in.

Comment

• grit
                            • Jan 2005

I suspect the ASW-600 is not going to add much to the 703, make sure you don't cross them over too high... 703 are good down to 40Hz! And don't decide on the sub settings until the 703 are broken in.
                            I have 703's and ASW-700, and almost never dream of using it for 2-ch music. Wouldn't run HT or DVD-A without it of course.

Comment

• JohnAng
                              • Sep 2005

I forgot to add, take your time with the 703s, I bought a new 703 and compared to 6m old 703 in my system, and the difference was very audible... especially the 2 bass drivers which need time to reveal their ability. At least 24 hours continuous music at reasonable levels. I suspect the ASW-600 is not going to add much to the 703, make sure you don't cross them over too high... 703 are good down to 40Hz! And don't decide on the sub settings until the 703 are broken in.

Have to agree on this one, and the other thing i noticed was when first fired up they were a little bright, once things settled down they are a beautiful sounding speaker.
                              No regrets with them so far.
                              I have the ASW750 sub and never use it for 2 channel. I used it 2 times just to play things bellow 40Hz but found i realy didn't need it.
                              Besides i prefer to run my 2 channel i bypass mode

Comment

• jim777
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by grit
                                I have 703's and ASW-700, and almost never dream of using it for 2-ch music. Wouldn't run HT or DVD-A without it of course.
                                Doesn't it give an extra touch to full-basses (like in Norah Jones) and to heavy music? Said otherwise, does it sound more or less natural with the sub (in 2-ch music)? I always wondered what a sub would add to my 703's... I would want "better" (lower) bass, not more (louder) bass

Comment

• grit
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jim777
                                  Doesn't it give an extra touch to full-basses (like in Norah Jones) and to heavy music? Said otherwise, does it sound more or less natural with the sub (in 2-ch music)? I always wondered what a sub would add to my 703's... I would want "better" (lower) bass, not more (louder) bass
                                  I'll start with saying the sub is beautifully matched to the 703's.

I, like you, wanted "better" bass, and was looking for a way to do it and still use analog bypass mode. In my opinion, the sound quality I gave up by switching to PCM stereo (to use the sub) was not worth the relatively minimal advantage I got from using the sub. And in several cases (despite being beautifully matched), I felt the bass sounded more natural coming from just the 703's. If it wasn't for HT, I'd probably prefer no subwoofer and instead use the money on nicer 2-ch speakers or other equipment.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"