X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeepEndX
    • Feb 2005

Krell and Classe Combination on B&W

I have a pair of 800D's. I am using Krell as my power amp because I like the strong bass, clarity, detail, power with authority, and Conrad Johnson as pre-amp, which balances Krell's lack of warmth, thickness and brings life to the music (also kind of solve the problem of Krell's brightness).

Has anyone tried Krell and Classe combination on B&W speakers?

RH
    Last edited by DeepEndX; 01 February 2007, 22:19 Thursday. Reason: grammer
  • Aldo
    • Sep 2005

No, but I really do not like the idea of mixing amps on the same speaker!

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

Hi
      it will be like having a Bull (Krell)and a race horse(Classe) to pull the same cart... :W
      Eliav
      :T Socrat

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Eliav
        Hi
        it will be like having a Bull (Krell)and a race horse(Classe) to pull the same cart... :W
        Eliav
        Perfectly put, Eliav. :T

Although I seem to prefer the

... it might be possible to tame the beast by introducing some refinement & warmth in the form of a Classé source (CD / DVD player). The best is to try and audition for yourself so as to formulate your own opinion which will be right for you. If you decide to experiment, please keep us posted. Could be very interesting.
        Attached Files

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by DeepEndX
          I have a pair of 800D's. I am using Krell as my power amp because I like the strong bass, clarity, detail, power with authority, and Conrad Johnson as pre-amp, which balances Krell's lack of warmth, thickness and brings life to the music (also kind of solve the problem of Krell's brightness).

Has anyone tried Krell and Classe combination on B&W speakers?

RH
          I have mixed tube preamps (I assume the Conrad Johnson is a tube pre) with SS amps. It works very well. As long as the input impedance matches between your pre and power amp (usualy shoot for a factor of ten) your preamp wil be able to drive the power amp just fine. If you found this mix and like it, stick with it.

I have heard that Bryston preamps can be bright. I use a Musical Fidelity preamp (known for not being bright) with Bryston 7B ST's on N801's and the sound is very detailed but not too bright at all. The nice thing is that the treble has enough presence to give the "air" around instruments without fatigue.

If you are running tubes, FWIW, I gave up on them after chasing rare tubes and having too many problems. The Musical Fidelity preamp was the perfect fix for me. If you use new tubes you probably do not have any problems. The "NOS" (yea right) is where the problems are.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"