X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Need Help with Amp Selection

I have been auditioning amps to improve my two channel system. At the Classe, B&W and McIntosh dealer, unfortunately, the dealer's 803Ds were damaged, and I (had to) listen to the 800Ds instead (these are great speakers). They were using a Meridian pre-pro.

I listened to the Classe CAM-400s (monos) and to the McIntosh MC501s (monos). The dealer felt the difference was not worth changing my CAV-150 with the new Delta Series CA-2200/CA-3200/CA-5200 multi-channel amps.

I later also went to another dealer and auditioned a pair of Krell 350 MCX mono amps through the Krell LAT-1000 speakers and using a Krell pre-pro.

It's tough to do these type of auditions as one truly can't compare, and can only imagine what these amps will sound like in your own room and system.

At the Classe dealer and at the Krell dealer, their audition rooms were very dead sounding, where mine is large and has exciting acoustics (approximately 39'L, by 18'W, with 24' ceilings), and is more like listening to a live presentation (not too lively IMO).

Listening to the Classe monos with the 800Ds, the sound was somewhat sedated, yet full, detailed, and smooth throughout the ranges. Even at low volumes, the bass was articulate. It may have been the room, and we listened to many different genres, but it was almost too smooth and not heart pounding exciting. But, this would most likely change in my room so I'm keeping an open mind. (I am looking for something that will stand my neck hairs up, and wow me when I listen . . . because it is that good). But, I do not want a sound that is too demanding to listen to during long listening sessions.

Listening to the McIntosh, and while it was also excellent gear, the sound was different than the Classe . . . but for some reason not as pleasing to me overall. The demonstration could not readily switch back and forth between the two, so it was difficult to put my finger on the true differences, but I felt I was not as satisfied with listening to the McIntosh as compared to the Classe gear. I also felt that since I leaned towards the Classe, the sound would synergize better with my current Classe pre-amp and my current amp that would then be used for the center and surrounds in HT.

Both of the amps powering this system were very refined and extremely good, but, I did not get that WOW -- I have to have it right now knee jerk reaction. Going to the Krell dealer, I was hoping to get the listening excitement like I felt when I first heard, and later purchased my first decent system back in the 70's (memories are always better - right!).

The Krell dealer had the demo ready for me when I arrived, and it was down to listening. I listened, and the sound was incredibly exciting. We listened to many different genres, and the more I listened, the more I felt that this was a great set-up for rock n' roll. Listening to jazz or orchestral pieces, the output was not as pleasing or refined as compared to the Classe or the McIntosh through the 800Ds (most noticeable with female voices). And, it was very difficult to determine wether it was the amps or the speakers that were creating the feeling of listening to a live concert. But, whatever was creating this listening experience, it was a very good combo. I sensed however while listening, that this system made poorer recordings sound naked, and harder to listen to.

I believe my 803Ds may be a bit quicker and less refined/liquid in the mid ranges than the 800Ds. Although difficult to do anything but surmise, the 803Ds may be a more exciting match with the CAM-400s (to my senses), than are the 800Ds that are much more majestic. On this line of reasoning, the Krell amps may also be a good match, as I tend to lean my preferences towards a more exciting, live concert like presentation. But, as the B&Ws already tend to reveal poor recordings, would the Krells make many of these recordings even harder to listen to?

Then the consideration is for cost. All of these amps are on the very expensive side new. So, in doing some research, I have been able to locate a used pair of CAM-400s (about $6,600 delivered), a used pair of CAM-350s (about 4,300 delivered), and a used pair of Krell MCX 350s (about $7,200 delivered). I have also since researched (have not been able to listen to yet), and found a pair of Linn Klimax 500 Solos for (about $6,400 delivered).

For me, obviously the CAM-350s are easier to handle financially, but if I'm going to do this, I also want the most bang for the buck.

Any and all suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by beden1; 13 May 2008, 17:38 Tuesday. Reason: added room measurements
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Well these are all good choices and come down to a personal choice. You are absolutely right your room will make all of these speakers sound very different.

I tried this at home in one room (19Lx18wx10h) my 802D are more subdued and sound great. When I move them in an other room (19wx20Lx28h) they seem to have more air and sound live.

I drive them with Classé CA-5200.

Also 800D and 803D are quite different speakers and I would not compare. It is like driving a Mazda RX7 and a Ferrari both are fun but quite different. So you should get amps on loan so you can demo them in your room with your speakers. For what it's worth.
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
      Well these are all good choices and come down to a personal choice. You are absolutely right your room will make all of these speakers sound very different.

I tried this at home in one room (19x18x10) my 802D are more subdued and sound great I drive them with Classé CA-5200. When I move them in an other room (19wx20Lx28h) they seem to have more air and sound live.

Also 800D and 803D are quite different and I would not compare it is like driving a RX7 and a Ferrari both are fun but quite different. So you should get amps on loan so you can demo them in your room with your speakers. for what it'is worth.
      Testing them in my room before purchasing would be the ideal scenario, but, since I will no doubt buy them used, I don't want to put a dealer through any hardship.

My room measurements are: (approximately 39'L, by 18'W, with 24' ceilings)

I don't really agree that the 803Ds can be compared to a Mazda RX7! A better comparison may be the BMW M5.
      Last edited by beden1; 13 May 2008, 14:36 Tuesday. Reason: added room measurements

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
        Testing them in my room before purchasing would be the ideal scenario, but, since I will no doubt buy them used, I don't want to put a dealer through any hardship. My room measurements are: (approximately 39'L, by 18'W, with 24' ceilings)
        Are we talking feet I assume, the volume of your room is over 16,848 cubic feet. You need the better amplifier you can get. Classé CAM-400 would be my recommendation or Electrocompaniet Nemo 600.
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• dmccombs
          • Sep 2006

Beden,

Even before you got down to your comments on the Krell, I knew it would get the best review for the day from you. Its not because I am a Krell fan, but because you described the Classe and McIntosh as "not exciting".

The Krells are anything but boring.If you are seriuous about the Krell, go listen again, and check for brightness issues. Some people will cal the Krells bright, others call it detailed. I think it depends on your room, speakers, and other electronics. If you have a well dampened room, the Krell could be a good choice as teh bass and quickness of the amp can be terrific. But if your room is neutral or bright, I would consider the other choices.

I have the Classe Cam-350s for my LRC. They are good amps, with a sweet high end, clear mid range, and decent bass. It isn't as exciting as the Krell, but it will makes female vocals sound incredible.

I can't help you on the other amps as I have not heard them. I dont think you can lose with any of these choices. Even the lease expensive option is terrific.

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Darrell:

Thank you for the in-put. I have been thinking about the experience and my impressions that I had in auditioning the various amps and systems.

My listening preferences (or musical benchmark) are no doubt an accumulation of my own personal experiences. I have to keep reminding myself that much of the music I listened to while growing up in the 1960's and 1970's, was through less detailed stereo systems that produced a higher level of distortion, and that this distortion formulated it's own sound. It is also influenced by the fact that I used to go to a good number of live rock concerts, and I also played in a number of school bands and rock groups, and that these venues produced a sound of their own that is not in a vacuum. I also think that not listening to vinyl records is what keeps me sensing that something is missing in much of what I listen to today. In my mind, the records seemed to have produced a fuller and richer sound, particularly when played at lower volumes.

When I listened to these high line systems, I think what I found missing most, is the fullness of musical sound. These systems reproduced music in a way that is extremely fine and articulate, but also maybe too good to be reality. Possibly the word is sterile?

Maybe it's the digital music that is the culprit, but whatever I'm finding missing, may not be able to be replicated for my mind ever again . . . like you can never go home again!

But, getting on the subject, I am happy to read that you are very pleased with your Classe' CAM-350s. That is a great system you have assembled by the way.

Comment

• dmccombs
              • Sep 2006

Beden,

If you are looking for a fuller sound, maybe you need to sprinkle in a tube amp, tube pre, or tube source into the mix. Since you like the excitement that a Krell amp brings, you should go with that, and a tube source to provie the fullness you are looking for in your 2-CH listening.

I have a Sonos unit and recently bought a jitter reducer. In playing with this setup, I also swapped out the digital cable (which I never thought would have an effect). In the end, by nealry eliminating the jitter on the source, the digital edge was removed. This leads me to the tube source suggestion. Maybe if the source doesn't sound digital, then the output won't either.

I've heard the Krell amps with a turntable driving it and it was far from digital. It stil had the Krell low end, and the highs weren't harsh.

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Darrell,

I had another listen to the Krell amps and I am still on the fence. Great sounding articulate amps with exciting bass output, but I'm concerned that they may skew my lively room into the bright side. Unfortunately, it was connected to a music server source, and I'm sure this was influencing the audition . . . probably not in a good way.

I'm not ready to give up the ghost yet though, and will have to make a decision this weekend on the Classe, or this deal will go away . . . or just decide to wait until I have fully explored some options like tube pre-amps. (I used to have a tube McIntosh set-up back in the day, and the tubes were a pain in the back side for maintenance. Have they become less worrisome?)

I hooked up my turntable (one of the original Thorens with a middle of the road vintage Ortofon cartridge) to my other system in PA, and the sound was very rewarding as compared to the CDs. In this system however, I'm using a Pioneer Blu-Ray player for CDs, and it doesn't compare to the overall quality and "closer to analog" sound that my Sony XA9000ES produces in my FL system.

Listening to songs on records again produced more open space, warmth and body. The experience definitely makes me want to add a turntable to my FL system, regardless. The movement away from playing records to the convenience of playing CDs for pure music listening pleasure, is one that I don't think I can exclusively live with any longer. And fortunately, I have a large record collection that is in very good shape. It will be fun and interesting to play the records and then compare them with their CD versions. I'll have to enable my CP-500 for phono, and I can always bring down my Aragon 24K II pre-amp to use in the interim.

One thing is for sure, this is an interesting hobby when one starts to really explore all of the nuances.

Thanks for your in-put.
                Last edited by beden1; 16 May 2008, 16:01 Friday.

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Well, after much deliberation, I pulled the trigger and bought a pair of Classe' CAM-350s. I should get them in about a week or so, and will have to wait a bit 'till I get back down to Florida and hook them up.

In the end, I felt it was the best synergy with my current Classe' CP-500, the Classe' CAV-150 that will now drive my center and surrounds, for my 803Ds, and for the dynamics of my listening room. I also feel it was the "Best Bang for the Buck", and their more manageable size and weight is a big plus!

I'll let you know how they sound when I get connected.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Well, after much deliberation, I pulled the trigger and bought a pair of Classé CAM-350s. I should get them in about a week or so, and will have to wait a bit 'till I get back down to Florida and hook them up. I'll let you know how they sound when I get connected. Thanks for your help.
                    Never heard of them were they the old model, I know about the CAM-400?

or CA-3200 http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/specs/ca3200.htm

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Never heard of them were they the old model, I know about the CAM-400?

or CA-3200 http://www.classeaudio.com/delta/specs/ca3200.htm
                      They were released in 2001, and I believe they were replaced by the re-styled Delta Series CAM-400.

Stereophile Review: http://www.stereophile.com/solidpowe...304/index.html

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

They were released in 2001, and I believe they were replaced by the re-styled Delta Series CAM-400. Stereophile Review: http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramp/304/index.html
                        I see, they sure have improved the look, thanks B&W.

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

I see, they sure have improved the look, thanks B&W.
                          That may be an in the eyes of the beholder type of an issue. I don't see an issue with the way they look, and they will work better for me in size.

The bottom line is that they should sound very good, and they were a big difference in cost being used. I prefer to get the biggest bang for the buck where I can.

Comment

• dmccombs
                            • Sep 2006

Beden,

I agree with you. I care how my amps sounds, not how it looks.

I have (3) CAM-350s for the LRC and think they are a good bang for the buck. I have thought about upgrading, but to get any real improvement, you need to spend a lot more.

This is especially true for those of us wanting 3 identical channels. There aren't many 3 channels amps that beat the CAM-350s. The other options are to buy (2) 2-ch amps, or 3 monoblocks. All the solutions are significanly more expensive.

Given your requirements, and considering cost, I think you made a good choice.

Let us know your impressions when you get them set up. I think you will especially like female vocals with these amps.

Regards,
                            Darrell

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Originally posted by dmccombs
                              Beden, I agree with you. I care how my amps sounds, not how it looks. I have (3) CAM-350s for the LRC and think they are a good bang for the buck. I have thought about upgrading, but to get any real improvement, you need to spend a lot more. This is especially true for those of us wanting 3 identical channels. There aren't many 3 channels amps that beat the CAM-350s. The other options are to buy (2) 2-ch amps, or 3 mono-blocks. All the solutions are significantly more expensive.
                              Given your requirements, and considering cost, I think you made a good choice. Let us know your impressions when you get them set up. I think you will especially like female vocals with these amps. Regards, Darrell
                              Good for I was just saying that the new design is a bit more spiffy not saying the old ones where bad or anything!

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

Good for I was just saying that the new design is a bit more spiffy not saying the old ones where bad or anything!
                                Dale Carnegie may help!

Comment

• dmccombs
                                  • Sep 2006

Don't worry Wettou. I am used to your posts now. Irregardless of what the original poster says his requirements or limitations are, you are going to tell him/her to get Classe CAM-400 amps, a SSP-800 (even though you can't get it yet), and a set of 800D speakers. If rear speakers are mentioned, then of course you will recommend another set of 800Ds (even if the OP says he has a small room). I almost forgot the 800D Center channel. It makes the display hard to see, but it sounds great. :T

You know if you put those recommendations in your signature, you could save a lot of typing. :rofl:

Comment

• beden1
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2006

The Classe' CAM-350s were delivered today in like new condition. I am impressed that they look like super quality and are even better looking than I had first imagined.

I can't wait to get them to Florida and hook them up in a couple of weeks.

Comment

• dmccombs
                                      • Sep 2006

Beden,

Enjoy!!! The CAM-350s should drive your 803Ds nicely.

Be sure to bring some of your favorite female vocalists along to Florida for the listening session. If they can't come along, bring thier CD. :rofl:

Classe amps brings out the best in a Jennifer Warnes, Diana Krall, Nora Jones, etc., piece of music.

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

Beden,

Enjoy!!! The CAM-350s should drive your 803Ds nicely.

Be sure to bring some of your favorite female vocalists along to Florida for the listening session. If they can't come along, bring thier CD. :rofl:

Classe amps brings out the best in a Jennifer Warnes, Diana Krall, Nora Jones, etc., piece of music.

Darrell
                                        Maybe I can discover some new females down there, even if they can't sing! :T Except my wife of 31 years may not be so thrilled with that idea.

I'm also bringing down my turntable and some selected records to see how the system sounds at optimum.

I also got two BDI Axis 6 shelf equipment racks, and a BDI Axis 48" three shelf flat panel TV stand that were delivered there last week, so I'll have plenty of room to display the new toys. I'm looking forward to working on the new set-up. I was going to have something custom designed/made, but decided these will probably have more flexibility and be easier to work with in the long run:

Stands and Mounts is will help you find the right tv mount, tv stand, monitor stand or any av furniture you desire. We are staffed with experienced audio video and home theater installers.

Stands and Mounts is will help you find the right tv mount, tv stand, monitor stand or any av furniture you desire. We are staffed with experienced audio video and home theater installers.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

B&W + Classé are an unbeatable combination for female vocals (and Smooth Jazz). :B

Have you heard of Kelly Sweet or Stacey Kent? They sound AMAZING!!!
                                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• dmccombs
                                            • Sep 2006

Rebelman,

I will definetly check them out. Rhapsody is my friend. I have Sonos unit with a Genesis Digital Lens. It does a pretty good job for sampling new (to me) artists. If I like the music, I then purchase the CD/SACD/DVD-A for beter SQ.

Thanks for the suggestion...

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                              B&W + Classé are an unbeatable combination for female vocals (and Smooth Jazz). :B

You turned me onto Kelly Sweet about a year ago. Her voice is incredibly sweet. I have not checked to see if she has another album out since?

Since your last music suggestion was so good, I'll have to check out Stacey Kent as well.

Thanks.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

You turned me onto Kelly Sweet about a year ago. Her voice is incredibly sweet. I have not checked to see if she has another album out since?

Since your last music suggestion was so good, I'll have to check out Stacey Kent as well.
                                                I haven't heard if Kelly has a new disc in the works. She has been on tour so I doubt it. A friend of mine (ShadowZA) turned me on to Stacey. I recommend Brazilian Sketches (specifically tracks 4, 7 and 10) as a starter disc. She teams up with her husband Jim Tomlinson on this disc. Great stuff.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

I have Sonos unit with a Genesis Digital Lens. It does a pretty good job for sampling new (to me) artists.
                                                  How do you like the GDL? I have high hopes for my Sonos (streaming AIFF ripped CDs) and the SSP-800. Do you think it would still be necessary?

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                    • Sep 2006

How do you like the GDL? I have high hopes for my Sonos (streaming AIFF ripped CDs) and the SSP-800. Do you think it would still be necessary?
                                                    Rebelman,

Despite Sonos's claim that the Sonos has low jitter. most people have found that adding a jitter reducer inline helps improve the sound.

I am guessig that most of the higher end Prepros have similar jitter rejection capabilities. The Denon prepro benefits from the GDL being inline. I would guess that it would help as well with the SSP-800.

The GDL did a great job of cleaning up the sound. The sound with the GDL inline has a tighter, more powerful bass, cleaner highs (cymbals are more crisp), and the soundstage is better define. You can hear more seperation of the instruments.

The Sonos almost sounds as good as my Denon 3930ci player now with the GDL. Before the GDL, there was no contest.

The old GDLs are hard to find. Some people are using the Monarchy DIPs. The DIPs are a little different, but people have reported positive results as well.

Now some DACs do some form of jitter reduction. I don't know if one of those would be as effective with the Sonos. I have a Cullen modified PS Audio DLIII DAC on the way. I will be testing that with and without the GDL. I can let you know the results if you are curious.

Darrell

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                      • Sep 2006

WOW!!! :T

I got to check out Kelly Sweet last night. You are so right. What an amazing voice. I will be picking up her CD. What a great recommendation.

Thanks,
                                                      Darrell

Comment

• dmccombs
                                                        • Sep 2006

Rebelman,

I checked out the Kelly Sweet CD via Rhapsody/Sonos and liked it very much. I picked up the CD now.

Her voice is spectacular, and the imaging is amazing. This CD is mastered very well. The sound quality is superb. What a terrific recommendation.

Thanks,
                                                        Darrell

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Rebelman,

I checked out the Kelly Sweet CD via Rhapsody/Sonos and liked it very much. I picked up the CD now.

Her voice is spectacular, and the imaging is amazing. This CD is mastered very well. The sound quality is superb. What a terrific recommendation.

Thanks,
                                                          Darrell
                                                          Glad to hear (pun) you enjoyed it! :T

Like you I was not only taken with the artist, whom I first heard of at a Dave Koz concert last year, but by the quality of the CD.

Comment

• beden1
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2006

I'm nearly finished setting up the equipment in the new cabinets and am awaiting my new HTM2D. The electrician ran the wires and installed twin separate circuit 20 amp outlets, and I've also had the opportunity to spend some time listening to two channel with my new (used) CAM-350's.

The difference is night and day, and is like I've never heard my 803Ds before. The mid range and highs are stunning and authoritative. The bass is crisp and and full bodied. The CAM-350's are nothing short of spectacular in my listening room. I now wish I had three for the front speakers, and Darrell's system must sound amazing.

There is no substitute for power, and I can say now that the 803Ds absolutely need this amount of power to enable them to perform as designed (at all volume levels)! I now want to listen to the 801D/800D's - bi-amped with two CAM-400s. I think the lack of excitement I heard during my audition of the 801Ds with a single CAM-400 would produce much more positive results.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain expounding the virtues of powering B&W 800 Diamond Series speakers with 200 watts or less, as the lack of power just cripples these dynamic and exciting speakers.

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"