• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jnbmayhal
    • Oct 2005

Used N803 or New 804s

Greetings!
    I would appreciate some advice from the "wise ones"! ;x(
    I have the option of buying used [1-2yr] N803, or new 804s, at the same price from a local dealer.
    I would be purchasing the Rotel RC 1070 along with the RB 1080 amp.
    All of the above are within my budget
    I am leaning towards the 804s because of their size since I move every several years and never know what size and shape of listening space I will have, being less that optimal in most cases.
    I listen to music of a wide range, from classical to pop/rock, from chant to pipe organ and choral.
    I have listened to the 804s and will listen to them beside the N803 when they are traded in by the previous owner.
    Objectively, which speaker is superior? Which would be the best within the above setup and its limitations?
    Thank you for you advice!
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

Hello,

Used N803 will sell for 3000 +/- 200. So first of all I think you have to reconsider the offer from dealer.

Gr

Gerard

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by jnbmayhal
      Greetings!
      I have listened to the 804s and will listen to them beside the N803 when they are traded in by the previous owner.
      Objectively, which speaker is superior? Which would be the best within the above setup and its limitations?
      Thank you for you advice!
      Welcome to the forum !! Your question is probably the most familiar question that presents itself here. Buy the newer model thats one step down from the older model. New 802 vs old 800, new 803 vs old 802, etc etc.

It seems the new 800 series has made lots of improvements and reasons to step up to the plate. In the end, when a newer series comes out the old ones will be really old and the new ones will be the last ones.

I have the 804S's as surrounds and they are great speakers. The difference between the 804S and 803S or D wasn't enough for me so I got the 802D which are great.

This year B&W has 2 model 803 the S and the D and from what I've heard they are both superior to the older N803.

The bottom line is to try them out in your house in your room with your components and make an A/B comparison.

good Luck

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Yeah... trying them out is a good point.

The 804s certainly are smaller and a better fit. There's a noteworthy difference IMO. The 803s have more controlled, stronger bass and a wider sound stage than the 804s. Given what you said about your environment changing, I'd go with the new 804's. But then again, I'm not very comfortable buying anything used.

Comment

• jnbmayhal
          • Oct 2005

Thank you for your input on my initial thread and the rather trite dilemma of an amateur audiophile but seasoned lover of music and song. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the many threads in this forum. The continuing exercise in audio reproduction intersubjectivity is fascinating!
          Cheers!

John

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"