X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ED K
    • Apr 2005

B&W 802d and Mcintosh

Does anyone have any experience with the B&W 802D speakers and Mcintosh MC402 amp? Just blew one of the bass drivers on the 802D speakers. The volume was not that high. I'm concerned that this will happen again.
    Those who know it all know less than those who don't
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ED K
    Does anyone have any experience with the B&W 802D speakers and Mcintosh MC402 amp? Just blew one of the bass drivers on the 802D speakers. The volume was not that high. I'm concerned that this will happen again.
    There are lots of B&W dealers who sell Mac too.
    I haven't heard a thing.

Comment

• Jeff
      • Dec 2004

Over the past year there have been a number of members who have heard this combination. It's the general opinion this it's an incredible combination. When I upgrade the amp for my N802's it'll be to either Mcintosh or Classe.

Jeff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Ed,

Most likely you had a faulty driver on the 802D (there have been a few in the 802D and 800Ds which have blown in the first week or two us use...

The MC402 just doesn't hav the power to exceed the 802Ds capability (500W+ each)...

Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Jeff
          Over the past year there have been a number of members who have heard this combination. It's the general opinion this it's an incredible combination. When I upgrade the amp for my N802's it'll be to either McIntosh or Classe.
          Hi,

My dealer had been a big McIntosh / Nautilus fan however having heard the 800 series with some other amps as well as the McIntosh's I am increasingly of the view that McIntosh's need to be used with discretion with speakers as revealing as the 800 series. Basically the McIntosh impart a certain "warm lushness" to the sound (seems to be a house sound of McIntosh). For my ears an all McIntosh set-up (CD, Pre and Amp) is just way too warm and lush. Adding just the McIntosh amplifiers to a an otherwise dry sounding system (or bright system) can "tame the sound".... Certainly until you have heard better the McIntosh’s can soak you up into the sound like few other amps.. Some people just love the sound...

However for the 800 series I am now a fan of more transparent, neutral amps such as the Classe and the Krell or digital amps like Bel Canto or NuForce.... I recommend you listen and decide...

Geoff

Comment

• jericho
            • Dec 2004

Your not the only one who has blown a speaker in the new 802D.I have a friend here in Belgium with the same speaker 802D on the McIntosh 501.He also blew one of his speakers and didn't pass the 6dB on the scale of the amp.
            According to the sound, I heard McIntosh and also Classé Ca M-400.My ears loved the Mac combination instead of Classé.

Comment

• ED K
              • Apr 2005

Thanks for the input. I have had the 802D speakers for about two months. So I was surprized when the base driver on one of the speakers blew. They do sound great with the Mcintosh system.
              I should be getting the replacement driver any day(I have a GREAT dealer who ordered the driver as soon as I got off the phone with him). Looking forward to getting the music back in my life again.

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                For my ears an all McIntosh set-up (CD, Pre and Amp) is just way too warm and lush. Adding just the McIntosh amplifiers to a an otherwise dry sounding system (or bright system) can "tame the sound"....
                Hum.. I "only" have 703's with a MA6500, but I was thinking about changing my Rotel RCD-1072 for the new McIntosh MCD201 stereo CD/SACD player that is coming out very soon. You make me wonder if it is really a good idea

Comment

• akhter
                  • Jun 2005

Heard the setup at my dealer...simply incredibly!!!!

Comment

• Jeff
                    • Dec 2004

Jim, I own the Rotel 1072 cd player. I've heard others say and I must agree the 1072 doesn't play hard rock as well as jazz or classical. Not sure why. I wouldn't count the Mcintosh cd player out though. There are many great products in that price range... I have no plans on selling the 1072.

Jeff

p.s. I know...this is off the thread subject. ops:

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                      • Mar 2005

Ed K; I think you got a bad unit (base driver). My 800D actually shipped and when we set it up, the driver was blown fron the beginning. Real easy to replace.

Comment

• bigburner
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                        For my ears an all McIntosh set-up (CD, Pre and Amp) is just way too warm and lush. Adding just the McIntosh amplifiers to a an otherwise dry sounding system (or bright system) can "tame the sound"....
                        Hmmm, doesn't sound too bad...

Comment

• ED K
                          • Apr 2005

Just got the replacement bass driver last night (took only 5 days to come in). Took a few min to install and I was in musical bliss again. Dealer looked at the old bass driver and it looked like the cone was rubbing something each time the driver went in and out. Bottom line, all is well and I STILL love the 802Ds!

Comment

• jlr_1304
                            • Aug 2005

I've blown one woofer on my N802 with MAC's MC7300 bridged @600w.

Comment

• ED K
                              • Apr 2005

I agree with you assessment of the sound of an "all" Mintosh system. But, I guess it all depends on what you enjoy and what you feel sounds right. I really do enjoy my system (tried other manufactures before I made the plunge with Mcintosh everything).
                              Now that the bass driver has been replaced, I am enjoying the mucic again.
                              Thanks for you time in responding to my first posting.
                              ED

Comment

• ED K
                                • Apr 2005

Jim777
                                Thanks for your comments. As far as your comment of having "only 703s", They are GREAT speakers
                                Ed

Comment

• jim777
                                  • Mar 2005

Jim777
                                  Thanks for your comments. As far as your comment of having "only 703s", They are GREAT speakers
                                  Ed
                                  Ed, did you compare Rotel CD players to McIntosh's with B&W speakers?
                                  Thanks.

Comment

• ED K
                                    • Apr 2005

I had Rotel some time ago but, not the CD player. I was very happy with the Rotel pre/pro and amps when I was driving the CDM7s I had. After I retired and decided to make my (lifes purchace) I decided to go to the Mcintosh system and B&W 802Ds.
                                    From my experience, Rotel makes a fine product
                                    Ed

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"