Its only as good as your weakest link !!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Its only as good as your weakest link !!

I've got my 802D's hooked up to Krell amps, Halo C1 processor, top quality cables $$, but when I unhooked my Ayre D-1 DVD/CD Transport and used my Pioneer 868avi (European top of the line DVD etc player)

It didn't matter that I had all those nice items, it sounded like sh*$% !!Even my wife, who could care less, thought I blew something somewhere.

The difference was like night and day. No detail, no focus, no transparency, no presence and no ambience.

To think that's what I was listening to before and thought was great.

Moral of the story: No matter how good your speakers, amps, wire, processor or source is, Its only as good as your weakest link !!
  • Andorian
    • Jun 2005

you are right,

I kept my denon SAcd player, and tried it,
    with 802D, CA2200,500, AQ Volcano and Sky!
    oh boy, i switched back imediately to CA-CDP-100, without SA...
    Andor.

Comment

• johan
      • Dec 2004

misterdoggy,

Were you using only digital outs on both those players? I'am just curious if a transport makes that much difference considering you're using the dacs of the processor.

johan

Andorian,

What Denon model was it? How dig you connect it, digital or analog? Could you describe the difference in sound Denon vs Classe..

johan

Comment

• misterdoggy
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by johan
        misterdoggy,

Were you using only digital outs on both those players? I'am just curious if a transport makes that much difference considering you're using the dacs of the processor.

johan
        johan
        Johan,

The transport I have "only" has digital outs, as its a "transport" only means it doesn't convert. If it did it would be a Player. It sends only digital signals in either AEU or RCA.

Its a good question and for the moment I am using the Parasound Halo C1 Processor's DAC's but am changing to a Goldmund for the "stereo" portion only in the bypass direct mode.

As it is the transport and the 802D's are heavenly combo

Comment

• csuzor
          • Nov 2004

Hi Bruce, that is really very interesting...

are you saying that the Ayre transport makes a big difference compared to the Pioneer transport, using digital out on both? Or are you comparing the Ayre transport + Halo C1 decoder, to analog out on the Pioneer universal player?

BTW, if you were watching Mezzo last night, there is a great hybrid SACD from the same group, Les Musiciens du Louvre with Marc Minkowski (conductor)... these guys are based in Grenoble, close to you. If you weren't, it's playing again saturday afternoon, well worth it!
          A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

Christophe

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
            Hi Bruce, that is really very interesting...

are you saying that the Ayre transport makes a big difference compared to the Pioneer transport, using digital out on both? Or are you comparing the Ayre transport + Halo C1 decoder, to analog out on the Pioneer universal player?

BTW, if you were watching Mezzo last night, there is a great hybrid SACD from the same group, Les Musiciens du Louvre with Marc Minkowski (conductor)... these guys are based in Grenoble, close to you. If you weren't, it's playing again saturday afternoon, well worth it!
            A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

Christophe
            Hey Christophe,

Thanks for the tip on the french marketplace website. I sold some stuff there !

The comparison is either The Ayre digital out or the Pioneer digital out to be decoded by the Halo C1 to Analog out.

Even though the Ayre uses a Pioneer mechanism, the rest is so superior and so evident in the sound quality its even shocking. Of course, if you spend 7000€ euros for one and 1000€ euros for the other, there should be.

Even with the price tag of 7K the Ayre only plays either stereo or 5.1 DVD, not SACD or DVDA. This is my preference as I listen to "pure stereo". This is due to the fact that I have 2 802D's which do that work. I do have the matching HTM2D, but the 804S' for the surrounds would make a mis-match in sound in SACD/DVDA.

Note: When the 2x802D's are playing stereo, the "image" of sound is everywhere, so much so that you would ned to put you ear near the surrounds to make sure they are not playing !! I feel that the Ayre D-1XE has some part to play with this.

I can't wait for the Goldmund DAC which will only add another improvement on top.

Thanks for the heads up on the Grenoble piece !!

Best
            Bruce

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
              Note: When the 2x802D's are playing stereo, the "image" of sound is everywhere, so much so that you would need to put you ear near the surrounds to make sure they are not playing !!
              Wow... that's a nice image that I just pictured in my mind. That's a really ncie feeling. My 805 setup is not quite there yet. lol
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                Wow... that's a nice image that I just pictured in my mind. That's a really ncie feeling. My 805 setup is not quite there yet. lol
                You really have to play with speaker placement to arrive. You would be surprised in the difference with firstly the distance apart of the 2 speakers. This had the most drastic effect for me.

Too far apart loss of image, wider sound stage, too close together loss of image. Then angling in to tweak.

Everything should be done in stages, with slight movements. Live for a few days in each setting. Then finally one day Nirvana will come.

Kinda like searching for Buddha. :T

PS Furniture placement, Rugs, obstacles, walls, curtains can play a role.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"