• Show
Clear All
  • Andorian
    • Jun 2005

What's ""wrong""...with my 802D/CA2200

Hi,

Feel free to comment on this!
    To start with, my system is great.

I have two 802D and a Classe Ca2200/pre-ca500.
    I recently bought a AQ Volcano, and Sky interlinks, highly revealling stuff, which revolutionized my listening.

However, I also notice now sometimes unexplainable silences, and tones that are not finished.

Can you speculate on this, i''ll make a start:
    The source is limiting,
    More serious, the cables are TOO transparent for my PowerAmp,
    Is there to less currents for the 802D from the Ca2200, (is this called clipping).

greetings, Andor.
  • krellfan
    • Jul 2005

Andor,

You have a very nice system. Perhaps you could provide a more details of what is wrong with your system and what you would like to improve. The AQ cables are excellent. I am using AQ Dragon and Amazon.

Comment

• Rolex
      • Mar 2005

I would suggest listening to your speakers with a different amplifer. One of my friends had the exact same setup. He switched to the Musical Fidelity KW500 intergrated and the system was completely transformed. THe 802D's need some serious power to come alive.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Andorian,

It is also possible that you have a fauly CA-2200. This is a class A-B amplifier with some tricky circuitry to maintain class A operaiton up to 30% of the instantaneous output power and then seamlessly switching over to class B operation. A fault in this circuitry can have just the effects you are mentioning if it impacts the sound after large transients...

Speak to you dealer and see if you can try a second CA-2200

Geoff

Comment

• Jeff
          • Dec 2004

I agree with Aussie. If you had a test tone cd that may reviel more about the problem.

Your IC's and speaker wire are my dream equipment! :E

Jeff

Comment

• Andorian
            • Jun 2005

Hi,

do some of you find a difference in performance during the day, and at night.
            it may be the actual current source from the wall! (which is shared, i recently realised)?
            I need to move, I guess.

Do you have your system on a separate group (or even more).
            I cannot change this, I am living in a studentshouse.

The diffenrence in the evening around 22.00h- 23.00h this change occurs.
            Andor.

Comment

• xk8boy
              • Jul 2005

Andorian, are you a student? or do you just live with students? i wished i had a house mate that had a pair of 802D when i was a student!!!

Comment

• Andorian
                • Jun 2005

well ,

I am working , just finished My PhD,
                but i do have 3 rooms, in the "" workings younsters wing,
                yet i do share ""currents"" , and that may be not enough at prime times :cry:
                Andor.

Comment

• Andorian
                  • Jun 2005

Hi,

I have been listening again.....very closily.
                  And i am now confince that nothing is wrong.
                  My AMP is ok,
                  The things I was hearing are just taken from the sources.
                  Most live recording are ok, and not interupted at all.
                  Many studio recording are also properly fixed, there are however CDs that are just loosely editted so that I now can hear where they are joined (a price I pay for the good ones :P !).

I do still hear a difference in the dynamic range, listening during the day, as compared to the evening,
                  The evening has more power and subtile increase in dynamic diversity.
                  Any one has the same experience,
                  let me know
                  Andor.

Comment

• Seeme
                    • Dec 2004

"I do still hear a difference in the dynamic range, listening during the day, as compared to the evening, The evening has more power and subtile increase in dynamic diversity.Any one has the same experience, let me know"

I had the same think until I got a dedicated 20amp circuit installed.

I have a Monster Power 5100 line conditioner that I plug everything in except for my amp and sub and in the day it would dip down to 116 volts and go to 120 volts at night. I guess lees depnd at night from stuff like the A/C washing machine and other items. Once I got a dedicated line I get 120 all the time.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Andorian
                      • Jun 2005

What is that, I guess the same as my stuff, right...?
                      I use two ""van der Hul"" gold cables that sets the currents to 230V (in Europe), one for the Pre-Amp/ cdP and one for the PowerAmp.
                      Any more hints??
                      Andor.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"