X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Help Decide which Speaker Angle is Best ?? A B or C

Here's my situation. I can't move the speakers anymore, this is the best I can do in the room speakers are 802D's F, 804S' S, ASW 825 Sub, HTM2D C. I've found somewhere between closer to B + C might sound best but the are really really toed in.
    What do you think and why please. ??

Face Flat forward

Both Slightly turned in, but the right side more

Both toed in alot
    Attached Files
    Last edited by misterdoggy; 27 August 2005, 07:23 Saturday.
  • xk8boy
    • Jul 2005

depends on you're taste mrdoggy, and how focus you want your imaging to be. personally, i feel speaker are somewhat better sounding when toed in. my preference would be for some where around position C - may be with a little bit less toed in.

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Thats the place its sounding best (between B+C). The problem is the sofa is the "main sitting area and you want ot include the side chairs too. Thats why "B" hits both ends of the Sofa and includes more of the side.
      Listening: 40% Sat optic, 25% DVD movies, 35% CD (no SACD or DVD-A)

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Try positioning them so that the 2 lines intersect 2 metres (6 feet) behind your head, which is somewhere between B and C.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by bigburner
          Try positioning them so that the 2 lines intersect 2 metres (6 feet) behind your head, which is somewhere between B and C.
          Bigburner,

That's the question. Where's your head (Not like where's your head at) . Is it for the "one" person at the center of the Sofa, for the 3 people at the sofa, or the Sofa and the chairs.

There can't be a sweet spot for everyone in the room so there has to be a compromise somewhere.

Comment

• xk8boy
            • Jul 2005

i think you're asking bit too much. you cant make everyone happy. when you have guests i'm sure the music only plays in the background. while watching movies, the side and front speakers are effectly only for effects.

When i have friends around who really want to "listen" to music then, i give up my seating position for him.

Comment

• misterdoggy
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Good points !!!

So,

1. If you have friends over or you are listening to music, you aren't really seated in one place, so that doesn't count

2. The only time people are really sitting is to either watch TV or a Movie so the adjustments should ONLY be for that effects

I think "B" is the best idea

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by xk8boy
                When i have friends around who really want to "listen" to music then, i give up my seating position for him.
                Exactly! My living if very roomy but I've positioned my 805s so that the sweet spot is given only to the center seat of the sofa. It's not angled 100% towards the center, but about 95%. Just to leave a little bit of disbursement and open the soundstage just enough to give the surrounding seats the effect. It sounds good from every seat in the living room (6 seatings) but if I want to show off my system, I'll let the individual sit in my spot.

There is one thing to also remember and do. Seat yourself in the side chairs and listen to the speakers. For music it still sounds good, but for movies, half of the time, if you're sitting on the one side of one speaker's axis, then they're mostly going to hear that speaker. I'm happy with my current angle setup, but I've watched movies from about 4 feet from the sweet spot, and I only hear the other speaker during action parts of the movie, not ambient sounds and things like that. So just keep that in mind when you're playing around with your setup.
                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Well misterdoggy, you didn't mention that you were having the whole petanque team over to audition the new speakers. If they happen to be refugees from the '60s then ask them to sit on the floor while you sit in the middle of your sofa with the 2 lines intersecting 2 metres (6 feet) behind your head.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Yeah, We play Petanque right in the middle of the living room here in France. Didn't you know.

And then while they're all here I play the Marseillaise and everyone stops and salutes.

Very Patriotic people.

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

I was attempting humour there misterdoggy, not having a go at you.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

My answer was made "jokingly" too. Sometimes humor gets lost on the internet.

No offense taken Bigburner. Only kidding around.

I try to keep the petanque balls from hitting my 802d's. :dothewave:

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"