X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammie
    • Oct 2005

Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P

Just thought that I would post that I replaced my Denon 3808CI with this new Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P.

I also moved from RCA's to XLR's in the upgrade.

I did my "Phase I" and installed it last night. Phase II will be the Audyssey calibration (probably tomorrow when no one is home). Phase III will be cable management and another calibration just to make sure everything is still good (probably Friday when I have the day off).

All I did was remove the Denon from my cabinet and replace it with the Onkyo. I did not do any cleaning (other than the shelf the Onkyo went on) nor did I do any additional cable management.

Some of my initial thoughts are as follows.

Pros:
    • Solid construction
    • Metal faceplate
    • Cork feet (versus all plastic ones on Denon)
    • Intuitive setup menus
    • Cosmetically pleasing OSD
    • Sound out of the box appears to be better than the Denon

Cons:
    • OSD is not transparent.
    • Audio and video is disrputed when you enter the setup menus.
    • Harmony database is not complete. Many of the buttons need to be programmed. (I know its not Onkyos fault, but still a complaint. )
    • No switched outlet. (I liked to have my AppleTV plugged into the Denons port so it would not have to be on all the time. I need to look for alternative solutions.)

Here are some pictures of the Onkyo compared to the Denon:

Side by side comparison of the fronts:

Side by side comparison of the backs:

Artistic angle of the fronts:

Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P Front:

Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P Front (open door):

Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P Rear:

Panasonic TC-P65VT30
    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
    Next Upgrade: Cables
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Awesome... keep us updated as you get it all integrated.
    -Chuck

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

I have been swamped at work so I have not been able to play with it at all. Everything is pretty much at the default settings.

All I can say is that the sound quality is miles above the Denon that it replaced. Detail and dynamic range seems to much stronger. Even my wife feels that things sound better (and she thought the Denon sounded great).

I had a moment and thought I would give a quick update.
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• specialized
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Hammie
        I have been swamped at work so I have not been able to play with it at all. Everything is pretty much at the default settings.

All I can say is that the sound quality is miles above the Denon that it replaced. Detail and dynamic range seems to much stronger. Even my wife feels that things sound better (and she thought the Denon sounded great).

I had a moment and thought I would give a quick update.

Since we have similar spekaers, and i also use Denon 3808 as pre/pro and im very interested about Onkyo, can u put more detailed thoughts about u'r Onkyo SC-5508 pre?

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Hammie
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by specialized
          Since we have similar spekaers, and i also use Denon 3808 as pre/pro and im very interested about Onkyo, can u put more detailed thoughts about u'r Onkyo SC-5508 pre?

Greetings

Darko
          Hey, Darko.

I can't recall ever seeing your setup. I'd be interested in seeing it. I love looking at what others have done and if there is anything that they did that I may be able to incorporate into my own.

Back to the 5508... I think the biggest difference has come from two things: 1.) Denon's sound versus Onkyo's, and 2.) Audyssey MultEQ XT32.

Over all, in my opinion, the Denon, in comparison to the Onkyo Pro, was like listening to everything with a head cold or water in your ear. It may have been that Denon has always been known for their laid back sound and Onkyo for their forward sound. And maybe it is just that B&W speakers prefer the more forward sounding equipment. However, I really like the more open, forward sound I am getting with the Onkyo.

On the other hand, I think that the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 has made a world of difference. I am hearing details that I never knew were there... and this is from both my mains as well as surrounds. Someone said that this may be from the more forward sound, but I would like to attribute it to the XT32. :T

Speaking of surrounds, they have absolutely come to life with this upgrade. The amount of activity on them is amazing. Keep in mind that the activity is not a negative here. In a few cases, going from Stereo mode to Direct (with a 5.1 blu-ray) made very little difference. I did not feel as engulfed in the scene. Now, the little nuances of birds chirping behind you can be heard. Again, not in a distracting way.

I used all 8-points in my Audyssey XT32 calibration (I only used three with the Denon's XT implementation). Since my couch is along the wall, I used this configuration:

---WALL---

Where 1 is the sweet spot, 2 and three were in the two other seating positions on the couch, 4, 5, and 6, were 2 feet in front of 1, 2, and 3. 7 and 8 were one foot in front of 1, 2, and 3 and equal distance between the spacing.

One note I feel I need to disclose, as it may or may not have made a difference, was that when I installed the Onkyo, I immediately added XLR cables (from the same company and series as the RCA's that I was using). I am not sure if this added any of the additional dynamics that I am hearing.

BTW, I will be ordering new speaker cables today or tomorrow, so we will see if I hear any additional improvements. I have spoken with a number of users of these speaker cables on another forum and they really feel that these wires will take my system to yet another level.

One last note, if you controlled your Denon via the website, you will be disappointed that Onkyp doesn't have this implementation. I have, however, purchased an app for my iPad to control the 5508 over my wireless home network. The product is called oRemote and I think he is or already has an iPhone/iPod Touch version. I highly recommend it. I can even control my Oppo BDP-83 through the HDMI CEC implementation that Onkyo has implemented. Oh, and if you have a Harmony remote. All commands are in the database already.

Next will possibly be amplifier upgrades. I am looking at McIntosh. :-y

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions that you need answered, I will be happy to do so.
          Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• specialized
            • Apr 2008

Hey, Darko.

I can't recall ever seeing your setup. I'd be interested in seeing it. I love looking at what others have done and if there is anything that they did that I may be able to incorporate into my own.

I made few changes and i hope it's final now.. I have B&W 803S/HTM3S/805S, and few weeks ago for stereo i was using McIntosh C2300 + Rotel RB-1080 (One AMP BiAmped per speaker). Then i add Benchmark DAC1 PRE for stereo as source (as transport im using Pioneer DVD 610AV-S) For Surround as processor im using Denon 3808. Then i had a chance to try Krell FPB-300C (i tried McIntosh before). And realized how good is it (very dynamic, detailed, open..) So i sold one of the Rotel's (now im using One RB-1080 for the center, One RB-1080 for the rears), and got this Krell as my main amp. I Also sold McIntosh C2300 and now im using Benchmark directly connected to Krell. Denon is connected from preout left/right to the Analog In in Benchmark (i fix the volume, and adjust everything with auddisey).

The sound in stereo is amazing, and for surround i feel Denon is weak link. And that's why i think to upgrade to Onkyo SC-5508 or Marantz AV7005 or Maybe Pioneer.

However, I really like the more open, forward sound I am getting with the Onkyo.

This is what i need Clean, open dynamic sound..

On the other hand, I think that the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 has made a world of difference. I am hearing details that I never knew were there... and this is from both my mains as well as surrounds. Someone said that this may be from the more forward sound, but I would like to attribute it to the XT32. :T

U can try it if u turn off auddisey.. If u still have that dynamics, open and clear sound then it's from Onkyo

I used all 8-points in my Audyssey XT32 calibration (I only used three with the Denon's XT implementation). Since my couch is along the wall, I used this configuration:

Why u didnt use all 8 on Denon as well?

One note I feel I need to disclose, as it may or may not have made a difference, was that when I installed the Onkyo, I immediately added XLR cables (from the same company and series as the RCA's that I was using). I am not sure if this added any of the additional dynamics that I am hearing.

Hmm Im not sure if Onkyo is true balanced design and if there is difference on shorter cables XLR vs RCA if it's not balanced...

BTW, I will be ordering new speaker cables today or tomorrow, so we will see if I hear any additional improvements. I have spoken with a number of users of these speaker cables on another forum and they really feel that these wires will take my system to yet another level.

Could u send me pvt msg which cables they are?

Next will possibly be amplifier upgrades. I am looking at McIntosh. :-y

Try Krell.. Specialy if prefer neutral, detailed, dynamic sound and not coloured.. I tried Mcintos MC501 and everything was too round, too kind.. Also when i had a McIntosh i found my self listening like vocals, thrio etc. With Krell i like big bands, orchestra, and dynamic music.. (also vocals sound very good)

I hope this helps. If you have any specific questions that you need answered, I will be happy to do so.

Thank u Also im very intersted how Onkyo sound as stereo Preamp? Do u use OPPO as player for stereo?

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Hammie
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by specialized
              Thank u Also im very intersted how Onkyo sound as stereo Preamp? Do u use OPPO as player for stereo?

Greetings

Darko
              Sometimes, when playing SACD's (I play all of my SACD's in Stereo except Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which is usually played in its 5.1 glory). Most stereo playback comes from my turntable if I am not streaming music through my Apple TV. In order of music playback, my Apple TV gets about 90% play time followed by my turntable and then Oppo for SACD's or DVD-A's.

The phono stage in the Onkyo is worlds better than the Denon. I still plan on getting a dedicated phono stage (maybe NAD PP3i or rumored Emotiva one), but this is making me happy in the mean time.

Doh... I just realized you answered me and in return asked some questions in-line to my previous post...

I made few changes and i hope it's final now.. I have B&W 803S/HTM3S/805S, and few weeks ago for stereo i was using McIntosh C2300 + Rotel RB-1080 (One AMP BiAmped per speaker). Then i add Benchmark DAC1 PRE for stereo as source (as transport im using Pioneer DVD 610AV-S) For Surround as processor im using Denon 3808. Then i had a chance to try Krell FPB-300C (i tried McIntosh before). And realized how good is it (very dynamic, detailed, open..) So i sold one of the Rotel's (now im using One RB-1080 for the center, One RB-1080 for the rears), and got this Krell as my main amp. I Also sold McIntosh C2300 and now im using Benchmark directly connected to Krell. Denon is connected from preout left/right to the Analog In in Benchmark (i fix the volume, and adjust everything with auddisey).

The sound in stereo is amazing, and for surround i feel Denon is weak link. And that's why i think to upgrade to Onkyo SC-5508 or Marantz AV7005 or Maybe Pioneer.

However, I really like the more open, forward sound I am getting with the Onkyo.
              WOW, you have made some changes. In looking at the Onkyo, Marantz, and Pioneer, I have read that the Marantz has the same laid back sound as the Denon's since they are all under the same company. The Pioneer is VERY forward almost harsh at times and when paired with the wrong speakers. If you are running forward speakers, this may be too much. On the other hand, Onkyo is very much the sweet spot, IMO. I love the sound. Very rich and not harsh sounding. I would not say it is warm, because I feel the highs and mids are not muffled (best way I usually describe laid back sound). It seems to be a great pairing with the B&W's. I'd be interested in hearing how different amplifiers play into the sound. I want to start making a list of potential candidates and get opinions on how they sound is -- forward, neutral, or laid back.

U can try it if u turn off auddisey.. If u still have that dynamics, open and clear sound then it's from Onkyo
              Okay, I think I turned off Audyssey. I turned off Audussey Dyn EQ, Adyssey Dyn Vol, and put the Listening Mode to DIRECT. There was a change in sound. It was still pretty dynamic, but I felt it is a little smoother in STEREO mode with Audyssey Dyn EQ turned on and Audyssey Dyn Vol turned off.

Audyssey seems to have more of an affect with the Onkyo than I remember with the Denon's version.

Why u didnt use all 8 on Denon as well?
              I did not learn until after getting the Onkyo how to do a proper 8-point calibration when the seating is against the back wall. I only thought a 3-point was able to be done.

Could u send me pvt msg which cables they are?
              PM sent...

Try Krell.. Specialy if prefer neutral, detailed, dynamic sound and not coloured.. I tried Mcintos MC501 and everything was too round, too kind.. Also when i had a McIntosh i found my self listening like vocals, thrio etc. With Krell i like big bands, orchestra, and dynamic music.. (also vocals sound very good)
              Interesting... I hope I may be able to try a few different ones in house with my setup. I have not even really went to any dealers yet. Maybe later this summer I will start looking seriously. In the mean time, I just want to get my "filler" amps so I have 5.1 surround again.

BYW, any specific Krell models that I should look into?
              Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• specialized
                • Apr 2008

[QUOTE=Hammie]Sometimes, when playing SACD's (I play all of my SACD's in Stereo except Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which is usually played in its 5.1 glory). Most stereo playback comes from my turntable if I am not streaming music through my Apple TV. In order of music playback, my Apple TV gets about 90% play time followed by my turntable and then Oppo for SACD's or DVD-A's.

Before i got Benchmark DAC1 PRE i prefered SACD's and depened on mood i played on stereo or surround. Now i found enjoying high resolution flac's 24 bit 96 Khz and playing from laptop.

The phono stage in the Onkyo is worlds better than the Denon. I still plan on getting a dedicated phono stage (maybe NAD PP3i or rumored Emotiva one), but this is making me happy in the mean time.

I had a McIntosh c2300 which have good phono stage, but i dont have turntable so i never tried the glory of that , and becouse it's hard to get music on vynil here, i never started to look for a turntable.. After Benchmark I sold McIntosh..

I'd be interested in hearing how different amplifiers play into the sound. I want to start making a list of potential candidates and get opinions on how they sound is -- forward, neutral, or laid back.

From my my experience.

Mcintosh - A bit laid back sound, sweet but colored. I miss the impact and bass and details.. As first sound very nice, but after a while it was too soft, too kind for me.. (I make comparation with someone who is too polite, too kind that start making u nervous at the end ). Also with McIntosh i found that im listening female vocals, small bands.. Like it was lacking dynamics or something..It maybe different with new line of amps which i never had chance to listen..(MC452 or monos MC601). I Tried McIntosh MC275 and MC501

Classe - I had a audition very short time on B&W Cm9 and i didnt get impressed.. I can't say something was missing, but it didnt involved me in music..

Krell - My first auditions on Krell was like oposite from McIntosh.. First few auditions i got feeling like it's harsh and too much bass.. Then i had a chance to listen Krell EVO 302 with Magico Speakers and i was impressed.. Everything so clean, tight , dynamic.. That audition make me want to listen Krell on my setup as well. My Friend was selling his Krell FPB-300C and i got a chance to audition it at my place.. First days of listening i worried that's it's so detailed and clean that it could be harsh.. After a while i realized that this Krell its so tight and clean, very dynamic, sound very neutral not colored. Also the drums or piano never sounded that good.. (on part with drums it's make me wanting to blink )So after a two-three weeks of listening i realized that offer me all what i missed before. Never a problem what u listening.. Just vocals, or big band or filharmony.. If u have a chance to try, there is a big chance that u gonna like it. The only problem is becouse sound so neutral if u play bad recording u'll hear that is bad

About my Denon.. When i sold McIntosh which have proper pass trough mode to be able to integrate in surround, i connection Denon front pre/out in Analog In in Benchmark. As first the surround was muddy and not good.. But i realized what is the problem. Benchmark offer with jumpers to adjust Balanced gain.. Seem that it was too silent for the Denon.. When i tried auddisey fronts was adjusted to maximum gain (+10), and center and rears to -6. Then i readjustet gain in Benchmark (from -30 db, to -20 db setting). Rerun the auddisey and this way working much better. I watched Peter Gabriel Secret World DVD in DTS and sounded amazing.. For now i'll keep the Denon but im sure i'll upgrade in near future to the Onkyo (problem here is that they dont have on stock, and no chance to try before buy, so ill have to order blindly)

Greetings

Darko

p.s. Also i sold my sub when i upgrade the electronics, since the bass from that sub was muddy compared to bass i got just from speakers.. I realized that prefer tight fast clean bass then deep and muddy.. If my budget allow probably i'll think about more high quality sub which can make the bass i want but deeper then i have it now.

Comment

• HDBLU
                  • Jul 2008

Very Nice Review. Do you have any Photos of your setup with the Onkyo installed.

I just Ordered the Onkyo TX-NR3008 should have it soon. I could not spring for the PR-SC5508P at this time and I needed one now. I also Use Power Amplifiers also from Musical Fidelity and Parasound am only using the 3008 to run my Surr Back Speaker.

Thanks for the Review.
                  2ch Setup
                  Krix Neupohonix
                  Musical Fidelity M6i
                  Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                  Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                  MIT

Comment

• Hammie
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by HDBLU
                    Very Nice Review. Do you have any Photos of your setup with the Onkyo installed.

I just Ordered the Onkyo TX-NR3008 should have it soon. I could not spring for the PR-SC5508P at this time and I needed one now. I also Use Power Amplifiers also from Musical Fidelity and Parasound am only using the 3008 to run my Surr Back Speaker.

Thanks for the Review.
                    Thanks for the kind words.

Sorry that I did not get back here sooner, but work has been a bit crazy lately.

My Onkyo is in the cabinet, but here is what my setup looks like today. (Just a quick shot with my point and shoot camera).

Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• HDBLU
                      • Jul 2008

Very Nice Setup. Love those B&W Speakers.

How are you enjoying the Onkyo. Am Still Waiting on my 3008 to arrive hoping Monday.
                      2ch Setup
                      Krix Neupohonix
                      Musical Fidelity M6i
                      Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                      MIT

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

Now THAT'S what I call a center channel speaker!!. Very nice. My only concern is how close your turntable is to the speaker.......Gonna get some feedback there for sure!!
                        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Hammie
                          • Oct 2005

Very Nice Setup. Love those B&W Speakers.

How are you enjoying the Onkyo. Am Still Waiting on my 3008 to arrive hoping Monday.
                          I love the Onkyo. I feel that either the sound of them has changed over the years, or my ears have. They sound much different today than when I compared them a few ago and went with a Denon. Far more adept at performing very well with both music and HT duties.

Originally posted by madmac
                          Now THAT'S what I call a center channel speaker!!. Very nice. My only concern is how close your turntable is to the speaker.......Gonna get some feedback there for sure!!
                          The center channel certainly meshes the front sound stage into a unified front. That is for sure.

I do not play too many albums, but I have not noticed any feedback in the 6-8 months that I have owned the TT. Maybe my hearing is not that great.
                          Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• HDBLU
                            • Jul 2008

I got my Onkyo yesterday and am over the moon with it. Movies have never sounded so good. I had a 2006 Onkyo Model and that was alright but my new one is awesome.

I watched Unstoppable on BD and you feel like there a train in the room when it goes past.
                            2ch Setup
                            Krix Neupohonix
                            Musical Fidelity M6i
                            Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                            MIT

Comment

• Hammie
                              • Oct 2005

I got my Onkyo yesterday and am over the moon with it. Movies have never sounded so good. I had a 2006 Onkyo Model and that was alright but my new one is awesome.

I watched Unstoppable on BD and you feel like there a train in the room when it goes past.
                              Glad to hear that you are enjoying it! :T
                              Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• LCSeminole
                                • Apr 2003

Hammie,

I'm waiting on my dealer to get one of the 5508's for me, but a question on your going from RCA to XLR. I know the 5508 does not have balanced differential output stages, and I'm not going to have long runs to my power amplifier so what differences/advantages are you seeing in using XLR cables?

Comment

• HDBLU
                                  • Jul 2008

XLR is really good for long runs if you are only running 2m just save your money and get RCA. You should not really hear any difference with XLR vs RCA with short cables.
                                  2ch Setup
                                  Krix Neupohonix
                                  Musical Fidelity M6i
                                  Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                  MIT

Comment

• Hammie
                                    • Oct 2005

Having issues with mine now. I think it is an HDMI board issue. Looks like this is a common issue (as far as the Internet is concerned ).

Since it is out of warranty (by 6 weeks), I need to see if Onkyo will honor the replacement/repair.
                                    Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

Having issues with mine now. I think it is an HDMI board issue. Looks like this is a common issue (as far as the Internet is concerned ).

Since it is out of warranty (by 6 weeks), I need to see if Onkyo will honor the replacement/repair.

Ahhhh....the wondeful HDMI technology!. :roll:
                                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• John Holmes
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Hope they step up since it's so close to being out of warranty
                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"