X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximumshow
    • Nov 2004

DIY Studio desk complete!

Hey guys, I thought I'd share this with you. I have been helping a friend of mine build up a studio. We both agreed that the cost of a professional studio desk was not worth it. The majority I have seen cost between $1500-3000! I figured that money would be better spent on more audio gear, so I told him I would build a desk for him.

Here is a full shot of the desk in the studio room. Desk length is 99" x 39" deep. Each "leg" of the desk is extra space, built for new rack mountable gear, but right now only the right one house 3 patch bays and the mixer power supply. I believe (if I remember correctly) that each leg holds 11U of gear.

Other angle... we didn't have enough blank plates to fill the left leg but hopefully it will be filled with more gear soon .

Here's the sliding keyboard tray. I wanted to make it very wide to fit some of his more odd shaped items. Silver box is a SidStation, and along side that is the yellow Metasonix TM-1 Waveshaper.

Here is his synth, with easy-to-reach 2 x 6U rack. There is empty space under the rack for all the cables from the synth to pass through easily. Zero cables on the desk surface!

This section was fun to do. 6Us of gear space again to match the right side, but with an angled console to match the shape of the mixing desk. This gives us 7U of space that goes down "in" the desk. It gives it a very nice clean look, and once again, puts everything in arms reach. The empty space is for a piece of gear that is getting rack ears made.

Other angle, which shows the matching lines.

In addition to building the desk for him to save money, I also convinced him that we should build all the cables 8O . Here is a shot of nearly 200 interconnects, of which 80% are hand made by the two of us. The advantage to making our own was cost savings, custom length, and higher quality. Lots of hours here! All things considered it is quite tidy, but I will be organizing them soon.

There is still a lot to do to the studio. Wall treatments, cable organizing, swivel mount for the LCD, etc... I will take some more pics (and better ones) in the near future.

Any advice for me? It's the first studio I have helped build but I am learning a ton!
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

Wow, very impressive! ;x( It's obvious you put a lot of work into it - I'm sure the bulk of the suggestions will be to get the room treatments going. Again, great job.

Comment

• cotdt
      • Oct 2005

Very impressive stuff!

Comment

• KJP
        • Nov 2004

Glad you mentioned wall treatments. That was the first thing I thought of seeing those monitors so close to the ceiling. I might also look at some sound absorbtion for on top of the desk for critical listening sessions.

Master Handbook of Acoustics if you dont already have it is the best $25 you can spend on sound quality.

BTW, nice job on the the desk.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

That's really spiff.... :T

If I were only 40 yrs younger........knew how to play an instrument.......had any talent.......knew what all those knobs were for......

I'd build myself one ..... :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• FlashJim
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW

If I were only 40 yrs younger........knew how to play an instrument.......had any talent.......knew what all those knobs were for......

Yeah, what he said.

VERY cool desk!
            Jim

Comment

• chasw98
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW

I did do this when I was 40 years younger. You did a great job building that desk. We started out with a tascam 12 X 4 and worked up to a trident 32 X 16. BTW, is that a drum machine I see in the top center portion of the desk? I have seen that piece of equipment before!

Comment

• maximumshow
                • Nov 2004

Thanks for all the great comments guys!

BTW, is that a drum machine I see in the top center portion of the desk? I have seen that piece of equipment before!
                It is indeed... good eye. I forget what make/model that particular one is. Out of the picture on the other side of the room he has two more drum machines and some other gear.

ThomasW, I'm not sure if you remember but quite a while ago I contacted you about some spare 15" tempests you had. I wanted those for this very studio. Still not sure if an infinite baffle would be a good idea for a studio. What are your opinions on this applications? The room is approx 14'x10' with a sloped ceiling.

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If there's a good place to put the IB, it will save floor space and provide high quality bass.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                    • Aug 2001

Now that is friggin' cool.

Whenever I see things like the EL Distressor and Fatso, I get a kick out of how much effort is put into restoring things that digital "cured".

Comment

• heebee-jeebee
                      • Dec 2005

dude, killer job on the rack desk!!! you can see the effort and time that went into it. just out of curiosity, what speakers are those? and what type of mixing software do you (or your friend) run?

chris

Comment

• purplepeople
                        • Aug 2004

Nice.

I haven't played around in a few years. Mostly just really amateur FOH and volunteer SR gigs. In fact, the last studio I sat in was at one of the local schools where my cousin is a (paid) audio engineer. One thing that always bothered me was the PC wasn't properly silenced. Those fans can be quite bothersome when you're tracking something and don't want to use the cans.

ensen.
                        Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• WillyD
                          • Feb 2006

;x(

Excellent work! :T

Comment

• maximumshow
                            • Nov 2004

dude, killer job on the rack desk!!! you can see the effort and time that went into it. just out of curiosity, what speakers are those? and what type of mixing software do you (or your friend) run?
                            If I can remember they are Genelec 1031As. And he uses Pro Tools LE which came with the hardware firewire interface. It's the grey unit on the right with the headphones plugged in.

Comment

• Marzen
                              • Jul 2005

Nice job!...and really thought out well! I can't get over how much outboard gear you were able to fit into the control desk. Geez, first time I used a mixer it was state of the art quadraphonic enabled & running into 1" Ampex tape with a big roll-around control head.
                              Oh, how 'bout some task lighting, & a comfy chair? Any inwall wire runs for mics or lines?
                              What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• maximumshow
                                • Nov 2004

Oh, how 'bout some task lighting, & a comfy chair? Any inwall wire runs for mics or lines?
                                Task lighting for sure! Some nice lamps will be going in. Not too sure about a really nice new chair, as he has a small budget now :P.

Unfortuneatly there will be no in wall runs of any wire, as this room was finished before he moved his stuff in there. Maybe farther down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"