X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sarsi
    • Nov 2004

HELP: Boomy bass from Sofa

I recently replaced my sofa with a new fat and bulky italian leather sofa 2+1+1 into small living room 4x6m. Now I realised that when listening from the sofa there is a very boomy bass from the low frequency instrument such as bass (at a higher volume can even felt it on the sofa armrest). Curiously, when I step away or sit on small fabric armchair that I had, the boominess does not exist. Could it be the low frequency is resonating with my sofa coz' it may be hollow inside? How can I fix the problem without replacing the sofa or pasting ugly acoustic foam around the wall (which the wife will not appove)? Thanks so much.
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

Hi

Usually, leather furniture are good bass traps, they tend to reflect higher frequencies.
    Can you post a photo of your listening room ?
    How far away are your speakers from the rear walls ? I would try to move them further away from the rear wall and see if it helps.
    Here is a general formula for speakers placement in a rectangular room :
    Speaker to sidewall : Room Width x 0.276
    speaker to rear wall : RWx0.447
    Speaker to opposite side wall : RW x 0.724
    Speaker to speaker : RW x 0.447

Eliav
    :T Socrat

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
      Your problem is probably caused by the sofa being in a different location than your old listening position. You are probably now sitting where a bass standing wave is illumininating the room. The wave was alwas there but you did not notice because of where you used to sit. There are only two good solutions. Either move your speakers or move the sofa. Or build a new room.

You could try bass traps which sometimes help. You could also try opening or closing listening room doors to alter the room size thus changing the rooms resonant signature. For sure, the sofa is not the primary cause.

Sparky

Comment

• sarsi
        • Nov 2004

Hi Karma and Eliav, thanks very much for your suggestions. Btw, what you mean by "try bass traps"?

I will try to find a SLR wide angle to fit the whole setup in a picture. Currently my front B&W 703 (front pot) speakers are 12ft from the opposite wall, 6.5ft from the sofa, 6ft apart and 1.5ft from the rear wall. I have a feeling the speakers is too close to the rear wall but due to the size of my living area I don't think my wife will approve for my to move it any further.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
          Google bass traps or tube traps and you will come up with the answer and where you can get them. Basically, bass traps or tube traps absorb and disturb the the high pressure bass waves which occur at the room boundaries which contribute most to uneven bass response in a listening room. They are most effective when placed in the corners but a really well heeled room will also have them at certain points along the walls. They can be expensive because typically you will need several.

Sparky

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"