• Aug 2003

DSP Install

Pulling the processor out of the rack

Comparing the old and the new

Your new home

comfortably seated

another angle of the new dsp
    Attached Files
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Now the tough Part! Replacing the power cable

the other end of the connection

closed back up. my wife assembling a wagon in the background for her sister!

sitting back in the rack

Starting the software upgrade. the at-t walkers are to make sure it is successful...
    Attached Files

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

sorry for the fuzzy pic. couldnt tell on the iphone the quality. once the upload of software is done, you power back on and it begins to update the software.

The the screen goes black and you are left wondering what to do... I chose to wait... and chose wisely (indiana jones reference).

Pic is bad, but it is basically saying to reboot. it does this two or three times.

The money shot!

The code is labelled as alpha code. I haven't had much time with it. As soon as I finished installing it and checking the inputs, my wife left me with our one month old while she went to the store.

Immediate impressions... am I hearing more bass? channels switch faster. switching from sd to hd is 100 times faster, switching from hd to sd is 50% faster on cable TV. all settings were preserved. I'll probably run through the levels sometime this weekend to check and make sure they are still good. Also, under favorite processing, there is a new selection, Dolby PLIIx Movie.
      Attached Files

Comment

• ryst
        • May 2007

oh, so the unicorn do exist :E

Looking forward to get mine installed

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Did you do the install yourself?

Comment

• ian1975
            • Apr 2009

Hi! Do you need to plug the ssp-800 to the internet for the firmware update or is it already on the new DSP?

thanks!

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
              Did you do the install yourself?
              Yes.

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ian1975
                Hi! Do you need to plug the ssp-800 to the internet for the firmware update or is it already on the new DSP?

thanks!
                No. You perform the firmware update just like all other firmware updates.

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

sorry for the poor quality. iphone pic again. Just wanted to show what bit-streaming looked like. My PS3 can only bit-stream TrueHD, so I don't have a way to test DTS-MA. I sent an email to the powers that be to ask why they decided not to make it say "TrueHD". As you can see tough, it does say "sr:48k".
                  Attached Files

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

Unless you have a brand new slim PS3 it won't bitstream any lossless codecs. All you will get is Dolby Digital and dts for bitstreams. All lossless formats have to be decoded in the PS3 because the HDMI transmitter is not capable of bitstreaming them.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                      Unless you have a brand new slim PS3 it won't bitstream any lossless codecs. All you will get is Dolby Digital and dts for bitstreams. All lossless formats have to be decoded in the PS3 because the HDMI transmitter is not capable of bitstreaming them.

Eric
                      ahh. for some reason I was thinking it could bitstream truehd. ops:

I am upgrading my PC to include a new auzentech home theater card and will be moving it to my theater room by this time next weekend. I know that should bitstream soon, so I will be able to test it.

regardless, it really is not something I am doing other than to say I did it.

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

Are the dealers going to let us do the upgrade ourselves, and is it available at the dealers now, or can I just order it directly from Classe? This would work better for me, as I would have to bring my SSP-800 up to Delaware from a Florida, and then back again. That would be a major pain.

Is it just a matter of swapping a new board like in a computer?

Thanks

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by beden1
                          Are the dealers going to let us do the upgrade ourselves, and is it available at the dealers now, or can I just order it directly from Classe? This would work better for me, as I would have to bring my SSP-800 up to Delaware from a Florida, and then back again. That would be a major pain.

Is it just a matter of swapping a new board like in a computer?

Thanks
                          Classe will not be taking orders directly. You will have to work with your dealer to obtain the upgrade. You will have to contact them to find out if they will send you the board, or if you will have to return the unit.

The board itself was simple to replace. 2 screws and it was off, line up the pins and screw it back in. The tricky part was the power cable replacement.

The software update took 30-45 minutes to complete. at least it felt like a long time.

As of earlier this week, the plan was to start offering upgrade boards in limited quantity to those that were willing to accept test code. They were also willing to fill backorders in limited quantity to customers willing to accept test code.

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                            Classe will not be taking orders directly. You will have to work with your dealer to obtain the upgrade. You will have to contact them to find out if they will send you the board, or if you will have to return the unit.

The board itself was simple to replace. 2 screws and it was off, line up the pins and screw it back in. The tricky part was the power cable replacement.

The software update took 30-45 minutes to complete. at least it felt like a long time.

As of earlier this week, the plan was to start offering upgrade boards in limited quantity to those that were willing to accept test code. They were also willing to fill backorders in limited quantity to customers willing to accept test code.
                            Thanks, I'll contact my dealer to see if they are able to get the replacement board, and will let me install.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• ian1975
                              • Apr 2009

Hi! is there a sign on the ssp-800 screen when you have true-HD sound?

thanks

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
                                • Mar 2005

I'll have to contact my dealer to get my upgrade too.... Eric (aka: Hifiguymi), are you there? : )

Comment

• style
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2006

Hallo,

Sorry but you go to your dealer to have a Beta soft. & a board that can be
                                  a beta???
                                  replace the cardboard will be easy, a part replace the power cable....

if you go make adamage you go have garantie?

I will wait a def. version. if the card is allways the same and you can have one from from dealer ok, but for the replace I will wait a pair week....

Style

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

The board is final. Not everyone will want test code. I don't understand why anyone would be upset that someone chose to take test code while others chose to wait.

I chose to do my install myself. I feel more competant than I believe my dealer to be. No offense to them. Your dealer will probably be the one to make the judgement call.

Comment

• style
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Feb 2006

Hi sikoniko,

i respect your choice. Classe need people like that make "test" of theirs products and come back with a detail liste from what is ok and where is indispensable make other work/change...

2 Type customers:
                                      the first will have always the last news and will try
                                      the other wait, if your system work fine becouse change? He wait
                                      He waits until do the upgrade will be "necessary", don't need "play" whit your units...

Like wrote I have a friend by Classe and normaly Classe (Headquarter) don't go to private consumer but only the dealer. Ii have fortune, i don't pay bothing for extra transfert or others.....come like a friend to my and we make the upgrade or what is to do and we speak over all. At the end we go heat a pizza and stop....

Style

Comment

• sikoniko
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Aug 2003

Eric
                                        OK, I heard back from Dave. The screen will accurately display what signal it is receiving. With the options I have (PS3 and Toshiba HDa35 HDDVD player), the only new signal I was able to see on the screen was "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1." Like I said, I do have a new sound card coming for my PC that will bitstream. I ordered it because there is too much internet content these days to ignore.

Comment

• wildtangent
                                          • Dec 2006

For what it's worth you may want to check the following link.

It’s reasonably up to date and will give you some indication of your BD’s capability.

If your current player cannot bit-stream all of the formats that interest you there is little to gain from the upgrade since your player will either output bit-stream or decoded PCM. If you opt for bit-stream and the play cannot output the hi-res stream it will output a legacy stream such as Dolby Digital or DTS via SPDIF.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wildtangent
                                            [font=Calibri][size=3]If your current player cannot bit-stream all of the formats that interest you there is little to gain from the upgrade since your player will either output bit-stream or decoded PCM.
                                            I disagree. After a certain point, classe cut off bug-fixes on version 1.02, and all fixes were moved to 1.03 (DSP based). I've had some issues with SDDVD audio not playing at random. The only way that fixed it was to power off the unit from the back and power on. The other issue I had was the system would randomly lock up coming out of standby. Again, the only way to fix it was to hard reboot. I call these nuisances more than deal-breakers, but that is my perception. Someone else may find it a deal-breaker. Its all a matter of perception.

So, there will be benefit for people getting the new DSP and code, outside of codec support. It will have fixes for outstanding issues.

Comment

• Hberg
                                              • Apr 2008

Thanks.

Sikoniko,

Thanks for the update and the pictures.

I have contacted my dealer here in the Kansas City area, and I am waiting to hear back from him as to the upgrade. In fact, I did such last week prior to your posting. It is always good to have the information so that we can keep our dealers on their toes, even though the dealers are typically top notch.

Now it is just a waiting game.

H'berg
                                              Last edited by Hberg; 04 September 2009, 07:41 Friday.
                                              "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Gump
                                                • Sep 2005

I disagree. After a certain point, classe cut off bug-fixes on version 1.02, and all fixes were moved to 1.03 (DSP based). I've had some issues with SDDVD audio not playing at random. The only way that fixed it was to power off the unit from the back and power on. The other issue I had was the system would randomly lock up coming out of standby. Again, the only way to fix it was to hard reboot. I call these nuisances more than deal-breakers, but that is my perception. Someone else may find it a deal-breaker. Its all a matter of perception.

So, there will be benefit for people getting the new DSP and code, outside of codec support. It will have fixes for outstanding issues.

Yes, I've been experiencing these same "nuisances" as well. I don't consider these deal-breakers either, but it sure would be nice if they disappeared.

So, what's the story on the power cord replacement? Is it just a general upgrade and is there any noticable change in performance? Why did Dave and the boys feel it was a necessary change? Just curious, as I will also be in the position of attempting this upgrade myself.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2007

The power cord is not the one from the SSP-800 to the wall, it's the cable that supplies power to the DSP engine(s). Early units don't have a large enough power cord for the dual DSP board because they didn't have the devices to know what their current demands are. Newer units won't need to replace it because they have the bigger one in place already.

Eric

Comment

• Gump
                                                    • Sep 2005

Thanks Eric.

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                      • Mar 2006

Finally! It is great to see that the DSP does exist and has been sighted in the wild! Now I feel a bit more comfortable about parting with my hard-earned cash for a new SSP800 to replace my 600.

One question, did I follow the thread correctly where someone said the board is "alpha?" So it is not "final, final?"

Comment

• Hberg
                                                        • Apr 2008

I got told by my dealer today that he received an "service memo" from Classe', and he stated that Classe' is "getting ready to ship the upgrade DSP and they are going to be $1K. If you want one let me know, it is going to be be a great upgrade for the 800 without question."

I told the dealer that it was my understanding that the DSP was suppose to be free to current SSP-800 owners, and that is what I was told originally. The dealer said he thought the same thing, and would check again with Classe'.

Then when I got back to my computer I found the original SSP-800 Leaflet, and I forwarded the dealer a copy. It states in the footnote on page three "The new HD audio codecs may be decoded inside many Blu-ray (or HD DVD) players and output lossless, bit-forbit on HDMI as multichannel PCM. A new dual DSP module is being designed specifically to decode these new codecs inside the SSP-800. When available, it will be offered free of charge to original owners of the SSP-800."

I am not sure what "service memo" the dealer is talking about, but I don't want any other dealer to be confused by this information. If anyone encounters this little bit of confusion, I will be more than glad to forward them the SSP-800 leaflet.
                                                        "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by skuzzyb
                                                          Finally! It is great to see that the DSP does exist and has been sighted in the wild! Now I feel a bit more comfortable about parting with my hard-earned cash for a new SSP800 to replace my 600.

One question, did I follow the thread correctly where someone said the board is "alpha?" So it is not "final, final?"
                                                          the board is final. The software I have is alpha. It is quite stable though. I have not run into any issues as of yet.

also, I was told my software update process took longer than the final experience because my DSP needed to be updated. The boards will not require this when shipped to dealers.

The ability to field update the DSP will offer classe to be able to include new features, such as Dolby PLIIz when it is available.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hberg
                                                            I got told by my dealer today that he received an "service memo" from Classe', and he stated that Classe' is "getting ready to ship the upgrade DSP and they are going to be $1K. If you want one let me know, it is going to be be a great upgrade for the 800 without question."

I told the dealer that it was my understanding that the DSP was suppose to be free to current SSP-800 owners, and that is what I was told originally. The dealer said he thought the same thing, and would check again with Classe'.

Then when I got back to my computer I found the original SSP-800 Leaflet, and I forwarded the dealer a copy. It states in the footnote on page three "The new HD audio codecs may be decoded inside many Blu-ray (or HD DVD) players and output lossless, bit-forbit on HDMI as multichannel PCM. A new dual DSP module is being designed specifically to decode these new codecs inside the SSP-800. When available, it will be offered free of charge to original owners of the SSP-800."

I am not sure what "service memo" the dealer is talking about, but I don't want any other dealer to be confused by this information. If anyone encounters this little bit of confusion, I will be more than glad to forward them the SSP-800 leaflet.
                                                            I know there is a $1000 price increase coming on the SSP-800, but I do not think there is a charge for current customers to upgrade. Your dealer may be confusing the two.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2007

The DSP upgrade is free to the original owner. If someone purchased one used, they have to pay the $1000.00 for the upgrade.

Eric

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Aug 2003

The power cord is not the one from the SSP-800 to the wall, it's the cable that supplies power to the DSP engine(s). Early units don't have a large enough power cord for the dual DSP board because they didn't have the devices to know what their current demands are. Newer units won't need to replace it because they have the bigger one in place already.

Eric
                                                                Received an email from Classe about this. Passing on the info:

I noticed on the forum that there is a comment about the power supply cable being needed because we didn't realize how much power the Dual DSP would draw. That's not exactly true. We knew everything we needed to know (power, heat, size, pin-outs, etc.), but made a running change to what production/engineering felt was a better connector for handling the power. I changed my board without changing the power cable. We include it in the kit because it's a convenient way to bring any updated units up to the current spec and avoid any potential for a problem.
                                                                so there you have it.

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                  • Apr 2008

The DSP upgrade is free to the original owner. If someone purchased one used, they have to pay the $1000.00 for the upgrade.

Eric
                                                                  That is my understanding as well and the footnote that I referenced states exactly the same thing. "A new dual DSP module is being designed specifically to decode these new codecs inside the SSP-800. When available, it will be offered free of charge to original owners of the SSP-800."

I am the original owner, so hopefully my dealer is a little confused by the memo he received from Classe'.

Comment

• Hberg
                                                                    • Apr 2008

Sikoniko,

Since you've upgraded the DSP, what have you noticed from a performance standpoint?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Hberg
                                                                      Sikoniko,

Since you've upgraded the DSP, what have you noticed from a performance standpoint?
                                                                      OK, so I can't pass this up... performance is... well..

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KShkhIXdf1Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KShkhIXdf1Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Just kidding. It is too difficult to say. HDMI switching on cable TV from HD to SD sources and back is consistently better and so far I haven't locked it up.

Comment

• Gump
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2005

Received an email from Classe about this. Passing on the info:

so there you have it.
                                                                        I'm not quite sure I do "have it" completely...

The implication I get from this statement, "I changed my board without changing the power cable.", is that it might not be an absolute necessity to change the cable. Am I misinterpreting this? I only ask because the description of changing the power cable being "the tough part" has me a bit skittish.

How tough is it?

Comment

• Gump
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2005

...and so far I haven't locked it up.
                                                                          This alone is good news for me... 8)

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 2299

Originally posted by Gump
                                                                            I'm not quite sure I do "have it" completely...

The implication I get from this statement, "I changed my board without changing the power cable.", is that it might not be an absolute necessity to change the cable. Am I misinterpreting this? I only ask because the description of changing the power cable being "the tough part" has me a bit skittish.

How tough is it?
                                                                            necessary and recommended creates an awfully big gray area when it comes to warranty support. I would swap it out. It will only take you a couple minutes. My recommendation is to go from the top down. I tried it the other way first and that made it take longer.

Comment

• Gump
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2005
                                                                              • 522

#39
                                                                              Ok Sikoniko, I'll take a crack at it!

My dealer ordered the new board on Tuesday...hopefully it'll only be a couple of weeks and I can put this issue to bed.

Thanks.

Comment

• garak
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jul 2007
                                                                                • 310

#40
                                                                                Is the 1.0.3 code final yet? Or is it still alpha/beta?

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2003
                                                                                  • 2299

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by garak
                                                                                  Is the 1.0.3 code final yet? Or is it still alpha/beta?
                                                                                  no, it is not final yet.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"