X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrissB
    • Jul 2005

Room size and 804s

I own a pair of 704s driven by an AZ1 yamaha av amp. I’m thinking to sell them and get a pair of 804’s. My only concern is if my room that is really small (3.75 X 3.40 meters) can handle the bass or it’ll get boomy. I know that I’d be safe if I get 805s but I really prefer floorstanders as to my ears, music has more “body”. Unfortunately I can’t demo any of them in my place as I live in a small town and I have to order the speakers.
    Any advice will be much appreciated.

P.S. Currently there’s no such problem with my 704s.
  • Kobus
    • Aug 2005

A bigger concern will be to determine if your amp will drive the 804's, if not the sound will not improve.

Comment

• ChrissB
      • Jul 2005

You are absolutely right I am going to buy a stereo amp. Room cannot be changed tho….that's why it puzzles me.

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

I have 804's in a 4 x 3m room, and at first I was worried too if they would sound too bass-heavy in such a small room. So I started out with 805's, but after a month or 2 I still wanted 804's so I bought them.
        Have had them for a year now, no problem what so ever.
        Not boomy or bass-heavy at all.
        I do have to say that they sound better in a large room because the soundstage is limited by your roomsize now. But they still sound great, even in a much too small room.

Comment

• nyny
          • Jul 2004

My 804S are in a 5x5m room and initially I do find the bass region to be a tiny bit boomy (due to room layout, the speakers are very close to the back wall). However, the bass region tightened up after I did the following:

1) I switched out the rubber feets with the spikes (noticeable difference);
          2) Break in the speakers (took about 3 weeks in my case);
          3) Added a rug and a larger sofa to my room (I have hardwood floor and the room is not acoustically treated).

Hope this helps.
          Tony
          Tony

Comment

• ChrissB
            • Jul 2005

thanks for the replies ppl, sure they are very helpfull. BTW what kind of amplification do you use to drive your 804s? are 200w/c behemoths needed or is something like accuphase E-308 (100w/8ohms, 140w/4ohms) ok?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"