X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AudioAddict
    • May 2004

My 1st B&W Speakers and got some questions

Hello,

I'm new owner of B&W 604 S3 speakers connected to B&K Components PT5 / ST 125.2 Amp. I know for most of you 600 series is pretty much low/mid range but I couldn't afford 800 series, and so far I think they are awesome. OK, enough of going out of topic. My first question is about burning-in the speakers, what doses this mean? I have done some research and most people was telling me that you need to burn-in the speakers for about 50 to 100 hours, for example let them play at moderate volume. So I left them for 12 hours playing at-50 db on my amp, today will be the 5th day. But few times I turned them up to - 30 db, I hope it didn't make any damage to speakers? Question number two, I know that most of B&W owners using Rotel or Classe Amps. I got my B&K Components pre-amp and amp, it plays OK with my speakers. I was just thinking about changing the amp for something like Rotel 1070(pre-amp) / 1080(amp) or Krell KAV-400xi but is it worth to spend more money? What you think of B&W 600 series and B&K Components combo, I'm just not familiar with B&K brand - you can't find them in Europe, especially Poland the country I come from. So I would appreciate any of your input, also waiting for any suggestions.

Best regards,

AudioAddict
  • Trevor
    • May 2005

The burn in process is actually combined of two things. The first being the listener getting used to the new speaker and second the actual speakers breaking in. The cones need time to loosen up which in return will create a different sound.

Comment

• AudioAddict
      • May 2004

Trevor,

thanks for your respond, really apreciate. As far getting used to the sound of new speakers I love it already. They are so much better than my Monitor Audio Silver S2's, I actually have picture of amy system on Desktop of my PC @ work and few pictures in my office. Everyday I can't wait to get back home ASAP just to listen to my new speakers. Acording to B&W loosening and/or getting use to new environment for the Low freq. cones (aluminium) should take up to a week and Mid freq. cones (kevelar) up to a month. Does the listening level matter for example can I listen a little louder or should I keep them at lower level? I know that on this forum is a thread about having the covers on or off the speakers, so I have a quick question. Should I live my covers on while I'm not listening to speakers, or just keep them all the time off. Sorry for asking for same thing again. So far so good, thanks for your input.

Best regards,

AudioAddict

Comment

• Trevor
        • May 2005

I would play music on the speakers at a moderate level. I have the 604 s3 and noticed a change around 50 hours or so. Just give them time and you will love them. Remember that it is not how loud but the quality of amplification that will harm your speakers.

In regards to the covers yes they do sound better but how much better I can't tell you. I listen to my speakers with the grills on except if I am going to listen for a longer period of time.

Just do yourself a favor and do not let yourself listen to a better speaker unless you have the money to upgrade. It is torture to hear better speakers because every time you listen to your's you will notice the sound difference.
        That is why I am going to upgrade myself to the 703 or 804's if I can get them used from the dealer.

Trev

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by AudioAddict
          I know for most of you 600 series is pretty much low/mid range but I couldn't afford 800 series, and so far I think they are awesome.
          What!? Don't say that... just stick to 'they are awesome'. I had the 600s and 601s. I loved them. I've moved up to the 800 series, but I loved the 600 series. It was what first exposed me to the beauty of B&W. I thought these were the last speakers I would upgrade to, but then heard the 800 series and fell in love, started making more money, and poof!

But... I say if you think your speakers are awesome, then be happy. Don't get media-driven like so many people do and start thinking you should upgrade thinking 'I wonder how much better it'll sound if I..." You know what I mean.

Congratulations on joining the B&W world.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"