X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DeepEndX
    • Feb 2005

help to decide between 800D vs 801D

Currently I'm in the process upgrading my B&W speakers. I am debating should I get the 800D or 801D. I checked out the spec's sheet, the 801D has a broader range, but the 800D has a gold crossover. Can anyone help me decide! Anyone know the differences?
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

The best thing to do if you can is to listen to them, I would never buy a speaker if I didnt listen to it first.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• DeepEndX
      • Feb 2005

By the way, i have listened both speakers with Classe Omega amp and Classe Omega pre-amp, just wanted to see how other people felt about it. I realized the 801D has deeper bass than the 800D.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

DeependX,

Why don't you share your impressions with us as well? Only a few are privaleged to have done the comparison.

Personally in the old range I much prefered the 800 Signature to the 801 but I have only heard the 800D not the 801D so I can't comment...

Geoff

Comment

• tboooe
          • Jun 2005

man, I am just jealous that you have the funds to afford either...with two small children and a ridiculous mortgage here in socal, i can only dream of those speakers....in the meantime, I will just have to "make do" with my 805S.

Comment

• Pieter
            • Jan 2005

If you can live with the sound of either and both fit your room in decor and acoustics, then go with the 801D for the sole reason that the 800D has the most hideous looking mounting base.

Comment

• Indytown
              • Apr 2005

once you get the "hideous looking base" with cherry veneer in your house, guess what- it looks fantastic, very art deco, modern, sort of tells you to stay away and not touch, you can not walk right up to the speaker. I thought the same after reading cetain articles.

The base is very unique and appropriate, I think it looks better than the black contoured base of the 802 and 801. Thick brushed metal top with Bowers and Wilkens spelled out on top, black sides on the base, very handsome for a sexy speaker.

Comment

• Pieter
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Indytown
                once you get the "hideous looking base" with cherry veneer in your house, guess what- it looks fantastic, very art deco, modern, sort of tells you to stay away and not touch, you can not walk right up to the speaker. I thought the same after reading cetain articles.

The base is very unique and appropriate, I think it looks better than the black contoured base of the 802 and 801. Thick brushed metal top with Bowers and Wilkens spelled out on top, black sides on the base, very handsome for a sexy speaker.
                There we go, another pony at a different track.

My take: They look like granite tombstones, each fitted with inscriptive metal plaque for want of competent stone engravers, kicked over, on which rise a sculpted work of art.

I have no doubt they're functional. I do, however, think they lack form.

Personal taste.

Comment

• aphexist
                  • Jan 2004

Base? Ahem. I believe you are referring to the "heavy cast aluminium plinth that also houses the substantial crossover."

I'm not sure how this imparts the sense of fear that IndyTown refers to in his post. "Whoa. Better not touch that...it's on a PLINTH!"

Off topic: Why refer to a speaker design (or any product design) as "sexy?" Raise your hand if you pop a boner when you see high-end audio equipment.

I'm going to start describing a speaker's sweet spot as it's "erogenous zone." Or we can call the warm-up/break-in time the "foreplay." Bottoming out your subwoofer can be called "premature ejaculation." I know that some of these tower speakers tend to look a little phallic, but sexy? :nono:

Comment

• Indytown
                    • Apr 2005

very sexy at that friend; no sharp corners, curves, roundness, just like a woman big guy (speaking of the speaker itself).

no offense, try to walk up to a 800D, the plinth's "form" acts as a roped off area; no fear. :T

Comment

• aphexist
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Indytown
                      no offense, try to walk up to a 800D, the plinth's "form" acts as a roped off area; no fear. :T
                      Unfortunately, I haven't had the pleasure yet; when I do, I will remember to keep my distance.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"