X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALIEN
    • Jul 2005

805S for HT and music...

Hi folks,

I discovered your fine forum a few days ago and have done much reading. I hope to get some input on a potential system I am investigating...

I plan on dumping my first entry level system. I have Axiom 60's, VP150 Center, Klipsch bookshelf for surrounds, HSU sub and a Yamaha 2400 AVR.
    This system has served me well for HT for a couple of years. I am now ready to move on and I hope up. I am not happy with this set-up for music like DVD Concerts and Two-Channel. I listen to Coldplay, Eagles, Mellencamp, Fleetwood Mac etc.

My room is not big. It is about 14x16. I am thinking of the following set-up:

4x805S (for front and rear)
    1 HTM4S Center
    Velodyne or Revel sub.
    Arcam's new separates. The separate Amp is 7x135.

Do you think this is a good match for my size room? I am a little worried about going to a bookshelf from the floorstander but I think the quality of sound will be so much greater with the B&W and a higher end sub, I think it will equal out.

Do you all have any experience with Arcam? The separates are new and most folks don't have them yet. I really like their AVR300. Would 7x135 be enough for this set-up?

edit: How is the HTM4S center?

I have listened to the 805S and the 803S for a short period of time. I will go back and do a much more intensive trial next weekend.

Any thoughts are appreciated and I am glad I found this forum.

Regards,
    Geoff.
    Last edited by ALIEN; 18 July 2005, 01:17 Monday. Reason: add another question!!
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Hi Alien, welcome to the HTG forums.

I can't speak on behalf of the 805S, but I do have the previous Nautilus 805. I just moved and my new living room is 18x20. My system is composed of a Marantz pre-amp, Parasound amp, and only two 805s. (I'm buying an SVS or Velodyne sub next month). I was actually surprised that the room seemed to be just right for these speakers. It filled up the whole living perfectly, and didn't seem as restricted as they were in my last home (small living room).

I went from a 5.1 system with the B&W DM601 for fronts, DM600 for rears, LCR60 for center, and just a Marantz AV receiver. It was great for movies, and worked alright for music, but because of the various types of music that I listen to, I wanted something smoother, more transparent. So I sold my speakers, and moved up to a pair of 805s and added a Parasound power amp. The combination is awesome for music. With movies I'm actually surprised because seriously, those two speakers alone cover the front stage amazingly. I don't get the full surround effect, but if positioned correctly, I get a very nice half-surround effect (nothing behind me, but up to my sides I can see hear effects and voices). With that said, I would think that a full surround of 805S would sound incredible.

I'm sure a floorstanding 804S would sound better than the 805S in music, but for home theater you're gonna want a sub. I can not imagine your setup going wrong. I'd go for it if I were you, and if later in the future you feel you want more, then just upgrade the front two channels. Good luck.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• scottielee
      • Apr 2005

i think it would sound great. my sub works great with my monitors, enough for me to not think about upgrading to floorstanders for a while. i believe the velodyne eq system is key to successful integration with my monitors. i am feeding both monitors and sub the same full signal without using the sub's crossover, while setting the sub's upper response limit to 60hz.
      best of luck!

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"