X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

How to tell authenticity?

I have the possibility of purchasing some N802's for very cheap (~$2K) from someone who unfortunately needs money very fast and is in a tough situation. Since this person is only an acquintance I do not know them very well. Even though their situation is unfortunate, I cannot pass up the opportunity to get a pair of 802 at a ridiculous price.

That leads me to my problem. The price is too cheap. My getting screwed radar is telling me that it is too good to be true. I am thinking that either they are stolen or fake. Is there anyway I can authenticate these speakers? What if I get the serial #? Can I check these on the B&W website?

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

I would be skeptical as well, the expression goes if it is too good to be true it probably is.

That being said, obtain the serial number, (hopefully you will see it for yourself) and possibly verify through B&W tech support via telephone. Also you may want to listen to them prior to purchase. Just my quick thoughts.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Patt
      • Feb 2005

Whats the worst that could happen......

1. They are "hot" (stolen).

2. They don't work.

Can you test to see that they are in good working order before purchasing? If not it sure sounds risky to me. I would not lay my $$$ on the line, sight unseen.
      There was a fellow I bumped into on the forum who bought some 802's for a few hundred dollars from Goodwill, things like that do happen.
      ......Pat

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Even though it's not allowed by dealers, you could get the serial number and find out the build date.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"