Puzzle Do you see anything better to do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Puzzle Do you see anything better to do?

I recently posted images of my HT setup and some members thought I didn't position my system to the fullest. Here is a floor plan. Do you see anything better I could have done ?
    Attached Files
  • JimTW
    • Apr 2005

Just a quick question, what size, brand, and model is that plasma?
    And what front left and front right are those? N803, N804, 803S, or
    804S?

Tks!

Comment

• caleb
      • Aug 2004

If it works for you mate (sorry - mon ami), then it's OK!

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

How about centering your plasma on the side where the piano is at, center your sofa in front of it, and the piano towards the bottom right corner of the picture. Your rears won't be placed so strategically, but I think the front stage is more important. For your audio setup, I think the pros/cons of the sound stage is worth more than a portion of the window view. You can make a real clean look and still have a lot of light coming in. Just an idea.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Its 804S' on either side soon to become 803S' and the 804S' will replace the 805S'. I was also considering 803D's. Sorry thats a 42 inch plasma Thomson (French make)

Problem with putting the screen on the Piano Wall is then the couch's back would be practically against the dining talbe. That was the only other solution but the Piano to the right would be imposing into room. (Steinway model K) Its a tuff one.

Comment

• Ash
            • Dec 2004

misterdoggy,

How about trying to play around with the room and try this. I know its a bit unpractical, just an idea.
            Attached Files

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

I think the kitchen's at the far right side, right?
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Ash

Its a good idea but the 2 chairs are blocking the doors to the porch and the entrance to the room. The doors are glass doors that open inwards on top and sliding glass doors on the bottom.

Audioqueso Yes the kitchen is to the right. The large rectangle is the dining table.

Comment

• Ash
                  • Dec 2004

Can you place the piano in another room. If you can, then I think we are going some where. Check this out. You may try and squeeze the piano where the X is, however, I'm not sure if it fits. Placing the piano in another room would be best.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Verinnal
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ash
                    Can you place the piano in another room. If you can, then I think we are going some where. Check this out. You may try and squeeze the piano where the X is, however, I'm not sure if it fits. Placing the piano in another room would be best.

Or if placing the piano in another room isn't an option how about putting the back of the piano to the back of the couch?

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Ash,

That's a great idea. I ran it by the little lady and she's thinking about it. One problem is that The windows are full sections and look out to the lake and underneath each window is a radiator. My 17 year old son is a pianist and is studying at the conservatory here in Annecy. The Piano is a Steinway $35000 model K German model and I couldn't put it against the radiator or in back of the couch as its an upright and needs to be 4 inches from a full wall for sound.

I did a rethink on your plan below with the piano on another wall, but it still pushes the couch towards one side and then theres no room for the surround speaker which is pretty big 804S. But its an idea.

I can't say how much I appreciate your idea and it opens thoughts to other solutions. Thanks so much !!!

Attached Files

Comment

• aphexist
                        • Jan 2004

I think that solution will allow you to open up your front soundstage considerably, which is more important than surround speakers placement in my opinion.

Rather than using the 804S for the surround duty, could you get a pair of SCMS or DS8 and mount on the wall? With the limited placement options, this might be a better situation.

Comment

• Djas_Puhr
                          • Jun 2005

Hey everyone! Long-time reader; first-time poster.

Misterdoggy: I've had troubles trying to integrate my home theater into a living space also. I was wondering if this solution might work for you. Very similar to your last modification, but just move your rear channels to the back of the room as shown in the image I've hopefully attached. The added distance between you and the rears and the now symmetric placement will give you a much better rear soundstage.

It all comes down to if you have room for a speaker in that upper-right doorway. If you don't, what about wall-mounting some 805S's on that back wall?
                          Attached Files
                          "Don't mock the speakers... They have you surrounded." :

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Thanks guys for the ideas. Djas Puhr your idea can't work for me because the speaker is between 2 important doorways and the main doorway to the kitchen. My wife likes things the way they are. I have shown all the ideas in this thread, but life is a compromise when you are married with kids. The piano has to stay where it is. The Diagonal isn't optimum but I sure would like to widen the soundstage.

Comment

• Ash
                              • Dec 2004

Misterdoggy,

Your welcome! I'm happy that I could help you in this situation. I understand what your going through, because when ever you buy a new system, it is natural that the room in which they are going to be placed in will undergo some serious shifting.

I'm sorry that you weren't able to get a solution for your speaker placement, because speaker positioning and room acoustics really influence the sound. However, we are not the only people living in the house, and we have to consider our wives feeling regarding the overall look of the place.

Let me tell you something. I bet that everyone faces some wife resistance for any speaker or audio addition to the house, but you can always approach the situation cleaverly and rationally. For example, in your situation, you can emphasise on the the fact that the first thing that guest would see is that back of the a plazma TV and cables coming from the back. You can always say that you will just move things around for experimentation and If she doesn't likes it, then you will return everthing to the way it was.

I have been in a similar situation were I did this, and my wife actually liked the new setup (she went from angry to happy). Of course if she didn't I would have returned everything to the way they were.

I hope that this doesn't backfire and she tells you to get rid of the whole system, hehehe.

I also think that If you were able to get your wife a little bit convinced, it would be a good idea to sell the 804S and get something like the SCMs. They will give very good sound for the surround position. You can hang them were you placed the 804 in you last drawing and the other one you can place it above the piano between the door and the chimney. It is actually a good thing to have the surround above ear level (for movies) 2 meters high (I think that the benifit from moving you speaker to there new position with the SMCs would be better than keeping 804s as surrounds while in your current position). You can actually try to convince her with this argument, as the whole setup will be less intrusive, with less BIG speakers and with no plazma, wires and speakers in the middle of the room.

Of course its never a good idea to push things too hard, but its worth a shot.

I hope you find a good solution to your situation.

Good luck :T

Comment

• JetFlyGuy
                                • Jan 2005

Which center channel is in that picture?

I have a HTM3 on order, and didn't realize how big it was! -not that I am complaining!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

That's a HTM3S. Its big huh. That's what made me feel the 803S's were too small. I've ordered a pair of 802D's yesterday. That will put thinkgs in to perspective.

Comment

• aphexist
                                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                    That's a HTM3S. Its big huh. That's what made me feel the 803S's were too small. I've ordered a pair of 802D's yesterday. That will put thinkgs in to perspective.
                                    Ahh, one of my favorite sayings:
                                    "If your speakers don't fit in your room, buy bigger speakers!"

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

exactly my sentiments

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                        What about the HTM2D? You will achieve better timbre' matching with it and the 802D's than you will with the HTM3S and it is only slightly bigger.
                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• aphexist
                                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                          What about the HTM2D? You will achieve better timbre' matching with it and the 802D's than you will with the HTM3S and it is only slightly bigger.
                                          Better yet, move the 802D to the rear, get 800D for the front and a HTM1D for the center. :roll:

Did you ever reposition your equipment? You have a most enviable collection of equipment, but I feel that the effect of any equipment investments you could make right now are negligible in light of the unfortunate room layout you have pictured above.

Your mains and center channel are suffocating. The waves coming from the front speakers are cancelling eachother out not 5 feet from your TV and you are 15 feet away. It is mud by the time it gets to you.

As a favor to me, will you just temporarily pull the front speakers about 3 feet away to each side of the TV and see what kind of difference it makes?

Another suggestion: Is there a rug in front of the speakers? I find that always helps with reflection problems when there is a wooden floor.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

As a favor to me, will you just temporarily pull the front speakers about 3 feet away to each side of the TV and see what kind of difference it makes?
                                            Well I've listened to everyones suggestions and this is what I've come up with. LOOK BELOW AT JPEGS please. Aphexist was right and others who suggested the same thing. I have ordered a pair of 802D's which will go where the 804S' are. The 804S' will take up surround duty. The right speaker is about 2 1/2 feet from the center and the left is a good 3 ft +. This opened up everything. As you can tell from the photo the right speaker is "just" at the entry of the room so I can't push it more. If you look to the left of the plasma you will see the aquarium which I have now moved in on. I wanted to put the stereo where the aquarium is, but the wife will not go for that one. I can't wait for the 802D's to come. Maybe Nirvana is there.
                                            hey Brahmin I just finished Sidhartha, will your book show me the way to Stereo Nirvana ?
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• Kens1
                                              • Mar 2005

That's one nice set up! I'd be happy just to look at that every day never mind the sound - just joking - but it is beautiful.

Comment

• chinets
                                                • Jun 2005

What Amp are you using NOW and what Amp and processor will you be using if you get the 803's? I have the same set up 803's front and 804's rear. Love your components please reveal them to us. Great set up, congratulations..I wouldn't change the settings for anything. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

Chinets
                                                  I will be getting in a pair of 802D's for front duty and the 804S' will move to surrounds. Thats 2 Krell amps Kav 2250 and 3250 and a Halo Parasound C1 processor. I'm getting there...... slowly searching for HiFi Nirvana

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"