X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

Protecting 800 Series Tweeters from Kids

Just wondering if anyone with kids has come up with a creative way of protecting the 800 series tweeters. My problem is not so much with my kids, but with rest of the younger population that come over to our house. I currently have 703s which have a much sturdier tweeter housing to keep out the little fingers. I actually taped mine down so no one could lift up the grille. It's worked great, and doesn't look too bad. My center channel is my concern as it sits on a stand in front of the TV, and is reaching distance from a curious child.

I'm worried about tugs on the microphone as well as pulling the grill off and pushing in the dome. From what I understand, most dealers super-glue the grille on, not sure how many of you do the same or how you feel about it. Does anyone go any further in securing the tweeter housing itself? Caleb: Are you working on this invention next? Or does anyone have any ideas. Please help as this is the only thing keeping me from an 803D or 802D/HTM2D setup in the very near future.
  • Brahma
    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by EAmin

snip

I actually taped mine down so no one could lift up the grille. It's worked great, and doesn't look too bad.
    mmm Your joking right?
    Brahma

Comment

• EAmin
      • Aug 2004

No joke. The cover comes off easily on my HTM7 --- too easy. If you sneezed hard enough, it was off to the side of the speaker. They're nice and snug now.

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

I have used Teflon tape on the threads to hold the cover on, works very well. I have no kids in the house at the moment.

Comment

• caleb
          • Aug 2004

Unfortunately I have not address ed this problem as our boy in now 11 years old and from birth he was threatened with death if he went near my equipment - and it worked!!

Same goes for any visiting brats as well "go near that equipment and you're dead!!"

Gluing the tweeter dome on seems like a good idea, until you want to take it off for any reason.

Your comment about the "microphone" is interesting as even adults have a tendancy to fiddle with this part of the speaker - it's a very tempting item on top where it sits.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I've had two people almost come up and grab it because they said... 'I thought it was a microphone'. Dummies! lol So now that I have a kid (not walking yet) I literally bought one of those 'line borders' you see at the airports. I plan on setting it up so it looks like when you go to the museum and you see something nice, but you're not suppose to get THAT close. I know I'll have him trained well to know better than to cross the line. I did that with my dogs. So just an idea.
            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• kurtholz
              • Feb 2005

Yeah, this is easy, train your kids, i have a room full of Swords,spears, daggers,etc 30 - 40 or more at any given moment, along with over 50 very expensive tea bowls, dating back 800 years

the tweeters on my 803's are the last thing i worry about, my 4 year old has been around this since inception, even his friends have a strong sense of respect when there over'

my favorite saying, " establish alpha male"

:-)

Kurt

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Well put Kurt.

Comment

• EAmin
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kurtholz
                  Yeah, this is easy, train your kids, i have a room full of Swords,spears, daggers,etc 30 - 40 or more at any given moment, along with over 50 very expensive tea bowls, dating back 800 years

the tweeters on my 803's are the last thing i worry about, my 4 year old has been around this since inception, even his friends have a strong sense of respect when there over'

my favorite saying, " establish alpha male"

Kurt
                  I'm sure the swords and daggers help get the message across.

My kids are fine. My youngest is two and she walks up and kisses my speakers. My son (5yrs) is very protective of them too. It's more so for other kids when I'm not in the family room (where all my equipment is) --- when we have parties or the neighbor's kids are over when I'm not around.

Thanks to all for their feedback.

Comment

• kurtholz
                    • Feb 2005

"I'm sure the swords and daggers help get the message across. "

hahahahaha

well, i think it's more me being drunk and swinging them around all the time that does the trick,

hang a few swords on the wall, after a few weeks, it's amazing how the neighbors parents never send there kids down again

bad thing with emails, sometimes they come across as sarcastic or worse, hope mine didnt, it was meant as more of a humorous reply

maybe a nice electric fence around them B & W's would help

Kurt

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Then I recommend EAmin that for parties or something like that, really do put up a barrier like what I mentioned. People will know if it's blocked off then it's obviously something of high importance and something that you don't want people to touch. Set it up like musuem display.

Comment

• EAmin
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kurtholz
                        bad thing with emails, sometimes they come across as sarcastic or worse, hope mine didnt, it was meant as more of a humorous reply
                        I enjoyed it very much. We have to have some fun with each other. I think it's our only outlet for all of the grief our wives put us through about our systems. And it is especially nice to see that other Dads are as protective of their system as I am. Thanks much!

Comment

• wirepuller
                          • Jan 2005

I think buidling a moat with some crocidiles in it would do the trick nicely! Actually , I was at a customer's house once that had a koi pond and they had sprinklers that I think were heat tracking to keep birds and coyotes from eating the fish. Both my boss and I got shot three or four times with water before we figured out what was doing it. Walk to close to the pond and you got nailed with a stream of water. Probably work for kids.

Comment

• chemguy
                            • May 2005

Hi EAmin:

I had to smile at your post...

About a year ago, my two year old son discovered the ports on the back of my 603 S3's. I guess he decided they made a nice hiding place for his small toy cars. Eventually, he pushed one right into the speaker cabinet and it ended up getting stuck on the magnet of the midrange driver. Eventually I was able to fish it out using a little ingenuity and a coat hanger.

Today, all three of my boys are fine with the speakers. They have learned they are "Daddy's toys" and they pretty much leave them alone.

However...I've got the 804S's on order so we'll soon see if the tempting top tweeter becomes an "issue". Wish me luck!!

Comment

• EAmin
                              • Aug 2004

Thankfully the 804S is front ported which will be covered by your speaker grill. That is funny. Congrats on the new speakers and best of luck with the kids.
                              Last edited by EAmin; 15 June 2005, 02:16 Wednesday.

Comment

• kurtholz
                                • Feb 2005

That's way to funny, hot wheels in the old ports, is that a new tweak?

did it broaden the soundstage and tighten the bass, hahahha

i'll probably come home to a Samurai sword sticking out of one of mine someday, i"ll let you know if it's a tweak or not :-)

you think B & W warrants that?

best of luck from me to

Kurt

Comment

• martino
                                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by EAmin
                                  I enjoyed it very much. We have to have some fun with each other. I think it's our only outlet for all of the grief our wives put us through about our systems. And it is especially nice to see that other Dads are as protective of their system as I am. Thanks much!
                                  I agree..the first night i had my 803S's running my 8 yr old son was playing with a nerf ball and it bounced near the speaker...i freaked out..wife told me to chill..big fight...me sleeeping alone..anyway that night i realized how goofy i was and the next day my son and i took turns trowing the nerf ball at the side of my 803S's..However i carfully explained how deicate the tweeters are and that he ever touched them we would discontinue his education!

gotta love the wives and kids!!

Martin

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by martino
                                    I agree..the first night i had my 803S's running my 8 yr old son was playing with a nerf ball and it bounced near the speaker...i freaked out..wife told me to chill..big fight...me sleeeping alone..anyway... ...However i carfully explained how deicate the tweeters are and that he ever touched them we would discontinue his education!

gotta love the wives and kids!!

Martin
                                    :lol: Gotta love your sense of humor! :lol:
                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"