Should I get 804S or 703? What's the difference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Should I get 804S or 703? What's the difference?

Hi,
    I have Rotel RC-1070 and RB-1080. I want to get a pair of B&W and i'm in between 804S and 703. Which one should i go with Rotel gears? I heard 703 at the store, but not 804S.

By the way, what the difference between these two models? i can't tell.

Any suggestions and opions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

Go with 804s all the way!! :T If you did had a chance to hear them, you wouldn't be asking this question. The 804's are far superior to the 700 series in every respect. From the cabinet design to the drivers to the looks. The highs will be silky smooth, the mid range has amazing clarity and the woofer are their newest design.

The 703 are not bad at all. In fact I'm sure you like the way they sounded. If your a 2 channel fan, you'll be delighted with the 804's. With HT there won't be as dramatic of a change. The 703's will be just fine

Jeff

Comment

• nyny
      • Jul 2004

audiofan, I have to agree with Jeff on this one, go with the 804S! I recently conducted several extended listening sessions to compare the 703, 804S, and 803S. I ended up purchasing the 804S (would have purchased the 803S if it has a smaller cabinet).

I found that the difference in sound between the 804S and the 703 are very noticeable. The 804S has tighter bass and much better highs. Someone once posted that the 804S sounded more "out of the box" comparing to the 703, I didn't really understand what he meant until I did my comparison. Once you get a chance to listen to both, there is no doubt in my mind that you would pick the 804S over the 703 :T
      Tony

Comment

• audiofan
        • May 2004

Thanks for replying. I certainly will listen to 804S. I don't know if i should ask, but i was wondering what mspr of 804S is?

Comment

• nyny
          • Jul 2004

The 804S are listed as $4000 US per pair. I got a 12% discount from my dealer.
          Tony

Comment

• audiofan
            • May 2004

Another question related to room size.

Since my room is only 12 x 14 and the listening position is 9ft from the speakers. Do you think 804S is too much for this size of the room ? Should 703 is enough? or it does not matter?

nyn...12% is good. My buget is around 3500. IF i could get 15% , it would be great.

Thanks.

Comment

• misterdoggy
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I just sold my 703s and bought the 804S and they are superior. The 703 wasn't bad, but......... you get what you pay for

Comment

• jim777
                • Mar 2005

Depends on your budget and a little on what music you listen to (do you listen to old led'zep or other badly recorded/mastered stuff..)

I'm very satisfied with my 703's but I didn't listen to the 804S's yet..

Comment

• audiofan
                  • May 2004

I listen mostly to Jazz, classical music, some pop and rock.

Comment

• js24
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by audiofan
                    I listen mostly to Jazz, classical music, some pop and rock.
                    then no doubt the 804S
                    I listen to classical 90%+ time (and 90% of the remainder 10% is Jazz)

I like my 703 but the old 804N sounded better with my music preference

Comment

• jim777
                      • Mar 2005

Well even if I have 703's, with what you listen to, get the 804S's since it seems that you can afford them. I got 703's because I listen to jazz and rock (with some bad recorded rock and stuff like that). They forgive a bit more than 800 series...

Comment

• csuzor
                        • Nov 2004

No doubt the 804S sounds better, I was convinced within 30sec of A/B comparison, even if the 703 is a fine speaker.

However, I just bought 2x 703 at a big discount, to complete my system (see profile). The good news is that, once home, with all 5 speakers turning my lounge into a musical scene with surround sacd, I can easily forget the advantage of the 804. I saved some money, and I still have to buy the 750 sub, but getting more music is the priority now. The EUR1500 I saved will buy me at least 50 albums, and that will be more enjoyable than better speakers to play just a few albums.

My advice, buy the best you can afford, match with what you have already, and don't forget the other items on the shopping list.

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

I was considering the 703's or 804S's also. I ultimately settled on the 803S's but it was the jump in sound from the 703's to the 804S's that got me there. Once you consider the discounted price difference (~$800-$900 US) between the 703's and the 804's you will quickly realize that it is money very well spent. By the way, my musical preferences are very similar to yours. The 800 series is perfectly suited for these types of applications.

P.S. My Rotel RB-1080 drives my 803S's with aplomb. As such the 804S's will work just fine with yours.
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• audiofan
                            • May 2004

Looks like i'm going to demo 804S. Since the holiday is coming (July 4th), i hope i can get discount. Thank you all for your great suggestions.

Comment

• martino
                              • Aug 2004

Go with the 804S!!!!

my philosiphy...figure out your budget...then spend more!...Take it out of your 401K...do anything..just get your "dream" speakers now!...enjoy life while you are living (does that make sense?).

What the F*** are you waiting for!

Martin

Comment

• SPACEMANRICK
                                • May 2005

"enjoy life while you are living does that make sense?".........I just had my 804S speakers delivered this Monday and 2 days later at the doctor's office I found out I have Lupus. Probably not life threatening but a definate change in my lifestyle and outlook. I have been spending at least 3 hours daily on "therapy" in front of my 804's every night :-)

I agree spend as much as you can on what you will enjoy for many years.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SPACEMANRICK
                                  I agree spend as much as you can on what you will enjoy for many years.
                                  My neighbor across the street has been living with Lupus for many years and she seems to cope with it pretty well. She maintains a positive out look and lives it up by playing music in her garage, many a night.

Here's "listening to the music" with you SPACEMAN! :T
                                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• gregoree
                                    • Feb 2005

Audiofan I am also considering these 2 speakers but my listening preferences (at the moment) is primarily HT. Jeff, you state if used for HT the 703's would be ok, but for music the 804's would be the choice of the two. Is that to say the 804's would be wasted on HT?? Price wise the 703's would suit me as here in NZ the price difference between the 2 models is fairly substancial. Only trouble is, not too keen on the 703's matching centre channel - looks ugly to me - too tall and very "boxy". Any thoughts/comments on the 703's being used mainly for HT would be appreciated. Thanks.

Greg

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

Wow, so many similar experiences. I started with 703's then took the leap to 804S' and the difference was great. True less forgiving with bad recordings, but is that a reason to get "less detailed" speakers. Me thinks not. So now I've ordered a pair of 803S and will use the 804S' for surrounds. This will add a little more attention to the front with the Htm3S. So if you can afford the 804S I would go for it. I mean do you want to avoid buying "bad" cd's or do you want to enjoy the detail of a good recording.

Originally posted by gregoree
                                      Only trouble is, not too keen on the 703's matching centre channel - looks ugly to me - too tall and very "boxy".

Greg
                                      Gregoree I think you are refering to the Htm7 center speaker. I had it and it really was an eye opener when I changed to the htm3S. It was the single most dramatic change in the system. It was as if a blanket had been put over the htm3S when compared to the htm7. In a home cinema the B&W technician at B&W told me "It is the most important speaker in a home cinema"...... So its important to invest $$ That is New Zealand $$ in the center speaker.
                                      Last edited by misterdoggy; 19 June 2005, 12:57 Sunday.

Comment

• gregoree
                                        • Feb 2005

Misterdoggy thank you for your comments on a centre speaker - much appreciated. I must agree will you in saying the centre speaker is the most important speaker in a HT setup. Did you use your HTM3S with the 703's?? - if so, how did it sound? Would you recommend using a HTM3S with the 703's? Did you use a subwoofer prior to getting the 804's? How do you like your B&W sub? - did you consider any other subwoofer brands other than B&W? Thanks

Greg

Comment

• gregoree
                                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by gregoree
                                          Misterdoggy thank you for your comments on a centre speaker - much appreciated. I must agree will you in saying the centre speaker is the most important speaker in a HT setup. Did you use your HTM3S with the 703's?? - if so, how did it sound? Would you recommend using a HTM3S with the 703's? Did you use a subwoofer prior to getting the 804's? How do you like your B&W sub? - did you consider any other subwoofer brands other than B&W? Thanks

Greg
                                          Any or all comments welcome

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

The Htm3 with the 703's Hmmmmm... The Htm3 is quite a speaker and I think it might be too much for the 703's. I mean I felt it was too much for the 804S' even though B&W recommends them together. The sheer size of the beast is a lot. Maybe the htm4S, but I'm not familiar with it. I think you want to keep series type together. There are others that might be able to recommend something, but all I can say is I was disappointed with the htm7.

Comment

• csuzor
                                              • Nov 2004

Re the HTM3S with the 703 fronts: the B&W product manager did say the HTM1 or HTM3S is the best match to the 703, but is not ideal, and the better match is HTM7 with 704, or skip the 703 and go for 804S + HTM3S, but the best is 3x identical fronts (actually he is also a mch recording engineer, and he insists on 5x identical speakers, he uses 801 for work and 70x at home I believe). He claims no magnetically shielded center can be a perfect match to fronts.

So I am thinking about putting the screen high enough to squeeze another 703 under it. I have the HTM7 now, and the biggest mistake with this speaker is to put something above it: it needs room to breath above, no glass, no wood, no TV, nothing... then it sounds fine, but missing a little bass (but crossing it over at 60Hz significantly reduces its presence, so I still consider it as a large speaker in the setup).

Ideally, I'd like to get 3x 803S up-front, and use the 703 + 704 to get 7 channel surround... but that is all beyond my budget for now!

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"