X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cat Man
    • Jun 2005

Dipole vs 705s

First Posting question for all
    I am considering the purchase of a surround sound system including B&W 703s for the main, HTM7 for the center, but I'm not sure about the rear set-up. The store sales consultant recommends the DS7 surround sound speakers. I am leaning toward the 705s. The room dimensions are approximately 15 feet by 20 feet with a vaulted ceiling. The power will be a Rotel RSX1067.
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

It really comes down to preference,

What the DS7 offer:
    -Two modes of operation
    -Cheaper, since they require no stands
    -Wall mountable

What the 705's with stands offer:
    -Freedom to setup your rear channels properly regardless of room/wall geometry
    -No need to punch holes in your walls
    -Potentially easier to sell in the future over the DS7's

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

I think the DS7s are a little bit overpriced for what it is. I'd look into a pair of DS6s if you must have dipoles. IMO, dipoles never sound as nice as a quality bookshelf like the 705s, so therefore, I'd never pay the same price for a dipole. Just my opinion.

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

I don't think there is any doubt the sound is better from the 705, and I would recommend the 705 for multichannel music. The positioning will be more difficult though.

For use as surrounds in movies the DS7 may be better, because the sound is more diffused. If there are several persons planning to listen together, the diffusion of the DS7 is preferable, and the positioning will be easier.

With the RSX1067, you'll have 2 unused channels, so you could get both 705 and DS7 for 7 channel surround!

Comment

• weijst
          • Jun 2004

I agree with both Blazemaster (about the DS7 beining overpriced and getting a pair of DS6s) and czusor (regarding the preference for 705's when it comes to multi channel music).
          Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Cat Man
            • Jun 2005

705s seem to be the choice

Thanks for the input. Seems like the vote goes to the 705s. More bang for the buck. I agree with the possibility of adding both to make it a 7.1, but my pockets aren't that deep...more to look forward to. What a long strange trip it's been.

Comment

• perato
              • Jan 2005

There already was a similar discussion on this dipole subject.
              In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• georgev
                • Jul 2004

Go for the 705's for now, which will always stay at the rear, and then later get the DS 7's for the side speakers in your 7.1 system.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"