X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mr_m687
    • May 2005

Do B&W 804s have good bass?

Just wondering if this accurate speaker has a good amount of rich satisfying bass. Listening in a store it sounds kind of weak no deep sound. Anyone experience better lower end in a home setting?
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

I don't know how you would define "rich satisfying bass", but the 804 isn't exactly a bass monster.
    It has a relatively small cabinet, with "only" 2 6.5" woofers so it seems kinda logical that it wouldn't be the ultimate bass speaker.
    In stead it has a fast and accurate bass, which I find much more pleasing than heavy and slow bass.
    If you want more bottom end, i.e. below 40 Hz or have a large room, either add a sub (just make sure it's a good one, or it gets worse), or buy 803's or even better 802's.
    It all depends on the amplifier whether they have a decent bottom end, the speaker can't go lower than it's meant to go, but there sure are very large differences with different amplifiers.
    Ranging from slow and undefined bass, to fast and dry.
    Parasound is a good match, Rotel is less (in my opinion), Classé works great too and I'm sure dozens of other brands will be just as good.
    Just don't go cheap on the amplifier, it makes or breaks everything.

Comment

• aphexist
      • Jan 2004

The Nautilus 804 (which I own) and the new 804S are solid performers when it comes to bass output. Before I bought a sub, I was running mine full-range and music listening was very satisfying. You will not get much gut-busting bass from them, but they are not meant to reproduce such frequencies. A decent subwoofer is needed for home theater.

I noticed a nice increase in bass at higher volume when I went from a Rotel 1075 to an Earthquake Cinenova amp.

I find many people are used to inaccurate, flabby bass (usually from car audio backgrounds), and confuse this with "rich, satisfying" bass.

Comment

• miner
        • Mar 2005

I have had my N804 since Good Friday and at first I was a bit disappointed with the bass. My source is a Denon DCM-370 (soon to be replaced by a Rotel RCC-1055), Rotel RC-1070 pre and RB-1070 amp. My previous speakers were Polk RT-20p with built-in dual 8" subs which produced good bass. My B&W are slowly getting broken in along with amp & pre and each time I listen they tend to sound better ; a fast accurate bass. I too was contemplating a $1500 sub but I am beginning to rethink.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"