X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cruxis
    • Feb 2007

804S to 803D

I'll be making a decision this month on whether to upgrade via the dealers upgrade policy to 803D's, or to possibly add a REL sub to the 804's. It was my dealers suggestion to add a sub based on my slight dissatisfaction with the 804's leanness in the the bass department and also the cost factor. He even volunteered to set it up for me. Cost aside, I'm leaning towards the 803D's for a couple reasons. First, the 804's arent that far off the mark in terms of good solid bass, I just want a fuller low end, nothing earthshaking. Also I'd be gaining the diamond tweeters, which to my ears, sound a bit smoother and sweeter. One possible negative though is my amp, which comes in at the low end in wattage for what is recommended for the 803's.
    However, when I auditioned the 803's at the dealers, it was hooked up to the same amp that I own for obvious reasons, and they sounded great. Also, I should say, that this a 2 channel sytem. I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Oh and please, dont ever audition the 802D's unless your prepared to make the plunge.. :cry:
  • Ted
    • May 2006

I'm not sure what the more experienced members will suggest, but my gut feeling is to go with the 803D's over the sub, especially if you aren't too dissatisfied with your 804s as far as bass is concerned.

What is your amp, that may help others make comments too...
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Cruxis
      • Feb 2007

Its a Creek Destiny integrated amp rated at 100 watts per channel. Its a high current design and I'm hoping that the 803D's won't be too much of a load if I decide to go that route. I figure that would probably the next area of upgrade but it would have to be down the road aways.

Comment

• jayhawk75
        • Apr 2006

go with the 803d you will not regret. i am currently tinkering with subs with them for the home theater side, but for 2 channel i have already decided you wont need to add a sub. the 803d has a better soundstage and the diamond tweeter gives more accuracy to instruments and vocals. i found with the 802d besides the accuracy it also gives separation to each instrument. the 804s seems muddy to my ears side by side to either with the diamond.

Comment

• akhter
          • Jun 2005

I would go for a sub. Use sub in a 2ch setup (using the L+R pre outs). Even a relatively cheap (~USD1000) sub will give you fantastic bass. I also found the bass of 804 lacking and my 100wpc amp wasn't up to sratch. If you get a good sub like Velodyne DD or JL Audio, then integration to the 800 series will not be a problem.

I listen to a lot of rock and house music with kickdrum and hard bass lines so I need my bass. If you listen to jazz/classic, ymmv.

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

1. Auditioned the 802D for fun - I'm still happy with 804s
            2. 803D $$$ (you can still get one or two models of small car in Aus for that price.) 804s and Rel Strata 5 is a good compromise for $$$ and is better than straight 804s
            3. You will buy the 803D because it is better, you have the cash and it worked with your amp in the audition.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

What is the difference in $$ if you trade in your 804 and upgrade to 803D vs cost of adding sub. If much difference, maybe add sub and use leftover $$ to upgrade your amp. I am happy with my N804 & ASW800 sub.

Comment

• Hallett
                • Jun 2006

I should have my DD-18 any day now if i'm not happy with the sub
                & my 804'S i will be looking for some 802's. everyone i have talked to they say the sub will do the trick. will see :W
                Classe ssp-600
                Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
                Classe CDP-100
                B&W 802D :T ;x(
                Velodyne DD-18 :T

Comment

• dami0n
                  • Jan 2006

I made the upgrade from the 804S to the 803Ds a few weeks back and am delighted. The bass on these speakers is much cleaner (if not as deep) than what you'd get out of a sub, and a huge upgrade from the 804S. Imaging is also way better for some reason. Of course you have the diamond tweeter also which is a revelation.

Sensible thing is to confirm this with a home demo before you make your decision.

I would definitely go for the 803Ds as you will get much a much greater improvement than just adding a sub. I also run them off what would be considered on this forum as sub-optimal amplification (2x Arcam P1s @ 180 Watts per channel) and it still sounds fantastic.

I've also read elsewhere that the 804S are as difficult, if not a more difficult load for amplifiers than the 803Ds.

Go for the 803Ds and they should see you through several years of upgrades to your down-stream electronics.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

I have a customer that just did that same upgrade (from 804S to 803D) a month ago and he couldn't be happier. The difference in those speakers is not small. Everything is much improved. He has a small-ish room, it's 20ft x 12ft, and the speakers are on the long wall. He sits about 8 feet away from the speakers and the 803D's sound fantastic. The bass is just as fast but much deeper and more powerful with the 803D. He is using a Krell KAV-400xi and it's plenty of power. He is going to upgrade to Classe sperates soon so he wanted a speaker that would show off better electronics and get him closer to the music. The 803D's do that much better than the 804S's.

As a side note, I own 804S's and love them. However, for music performance if I was going to do an upgrade, it would be to the 803D.

Eric

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dami0n
                      Go for the 803Ds and they should see you through several years of upgrades to your down-stream electronics.
                      I agree. Particularly with speakers, try to buy each piece of your sound system that you are totally happy with, as down the road, it is cheaper than having to upgrade.

For example: Last year in setting up another primary HT system, I initially bought the 703s as my main speakers. I then upgraded to the 803Ds about two months ago, and am using the 703s as my surrounds. I also previously bought the B&W ASW750 sub and upgraded that to twin Velodyne SC15 contractor series subs. I also upgraded the HTM7 center with my HTM1 from another setup. I'll be looking to upgrade this again to an HTM2D down the road.

It's like a never ending scenario . . . fun at times, but having to upgrade is always expensive!

By the way - I love my 803Ds now that I've had ample listening time to appreciate them. And, if you're going to look at subs, the Velodyne Contractor Series Subs are excellent, and the best value out there bar none, IMO.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                        • Jan 2003

I've been using a Rel Storm III with my N804s in a two-channel setup for a few years now and am very happy with what I hear. I preferred this setup in an in-home trial over the N803s. I have had very little exposure to the 803D, so all I can say is make the comparison yourself and go with what sounds good to you. Seems like you already have decided on the 803d and you just needed some support for the decision.

Comment

• Cruxis
                          • Feb 2007

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, and I have made the decision to order the 803D's. I know that my pocketbook will suffer but my ears will certainly not. Hopefully the wife will be tolerant of these behemoths. I told her they were just a wee bit bigger than the 804's Can't wait for opening night, even though I realize it'll take a little while for them to really blossom. Dealer offered to deliver and setup also, which was nice since I didnt get a discount because of their upgrade policy. Now, on to the big question, which cd to christen these babies.

Comment

• beden1
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Cruxis
                            Thanks for the thoughtful replies, and I have made the decision to order the 803D's. I know that my pocketbook will suffer but my ears will certainly not. Hopefully the wife will be tolerant of these behemoths. I told her they were just a wee bit bigger than the 804's Can't wait for opening night, even though I realize it'll take a little while for them to really blossom. Dealer offered to deliver and setup also, which was nice since I didnt get a discount because of their upgrade policy. Now, on to the big question, which cd to christen these babies.
                            Congrats on the 803Ds. I'm sure you will find them to be exceptional. The first CD I listened to was "The World is a Ghetto" by War. It will blow your socks off!

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"