X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

B&W 804S

I'm in the market for a pair of B&W 804S' i currently own a pair of 683's, I'm wondering if the bass from the 804's will be as powerful and loud as the 683's? I'm using a Rotel RSX-1058 as a processor and RB-1080 amp and RCD-1072 CD on a piece of slate on feet of silence. when I`m listening to music i can easily turn the vol. up to 88 and the speakers are pretty much topped out. sometimes i push 90 but usually 88 will do it, but the bass is very strong and loud and i like it. i was looking at the 804's in a showroom and the surround on the woofer looks like the don't have much excursion (if that's the right word) I`m still pretty new to this hi fi world but I`ve listened to the 804S' and they have a much better sound then the 683's (obviously) but I`ve never herd them (the 804's) in the showroom as loud as i would at home so i don't know if they keep up bass wise. what do you guys think.
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

803s second hand would better match your taste and should maintain your budget. With bass it ultimately comes down to physics.

Try not to completely stuff your hearing. A little restraint now will mean more years to enjoy your system.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Slipper1
      • Jan 2009

I have a pair of 804s

Hi,

I have a pair of 804s which are powered by a naim nac 282/nap250.2/hicap, soon to be replaced with a supernait I hope. I would like a one box solution or at worst go for 202/200.

The bass produced for me was more than enough. May be a little too much at imes but its a very tight sound. What I found really good with the 804 was the sound of Vocals. Really clear and crisp. This may have something to do with using a CDX2.

I am going to put as a thread if anyone is using a supernait to drive 804s.

Apart from the sound and 804s look great especially with the grill off.

Thanks

Templeton

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

I think the bass from 683 and 804 should be similar loudness. You might ask your dealer what they think, and, when you can come by to hear for yourself. If you show up when nobody else is in the store they should let you turn them up. If not, ask them to lend/sell you a pair with return rights if you do not like. The 804 bass is probably tighter than the 683, so if you like loud sloppy bass you might prefer the 683 (I've never listened to the 683 loud so can not really give you any more specific information). One thing to keep in mind bass depends ALOT on the room, where the speakers are in the room, and where you are in the room.

edit: that said, I agree a used 803 might be more to your liking

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

BWLover, are you selling the 683's before you get the 804's? I think a lot of people would like to hear a review of similar sized speakers of the 600 series vs 800 series (683 vs 804s). Of course if you sell the 683's first then get the 804s and better electronics that wouldn't be a fair comparison. If you can compare and give your observation of 683 vs 804s on same equipment and try to be as unbiased as possible, that would rock! :T

Comment

• Opus007
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by emig5m
            BWLover, are you selling the 683's before you get the 804's? I think a lot of people would like to hear a review of similar sized speakers of the 600 series vs 800 series (683 vs 804s). Of course if you sell the 683's first then get the 804s and better electronics that wouldn't be a fair comparison. If you can compare and give your observation of 683 vs 804s on same equipment and try to be as unbiased as possible, that would rock! :T
            That would be great if we could get someone to chime in as I have the 683's and plan on upgrading in the future and though may never be able to afford the higher end 800 series the lower end 800 is possible.Anyone?

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"