X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

703 / N804 / 804s

I listened to B&W 603s3 (too thin), CM4 (nice), CM6 (more bass and the FST rocks) and then 703 (the best by far). When I came back to the CM6, it sounded like well localized boxes and thinner so I won't go lower than 703's. But since they sound very good (for now) on the affordable RA-1062, I can maybe go for Nautilus 804's or 804S's. I will upgrade the amp in a year or so, probably for a McIntosh MA6500 or MA6900. The speakers must be a long term buy (20+ years ). BTW I won't be going "surround" any time; stereo only for me.

My question is about going back to listen the N804 and 804S (on the "little" RA-1062). What differences do you hear when you go between 703/N804/804S models? Are the mids more clear? Does the stereo image increase even more? Are the differences worth the price without having a dedicated sound-treated room? (knowing that I hear BIG differences between each of the models I listened to). BTW, they are listed 4400/5000/6000 $CAN/pair.

Thanks again! (I'm getting more and more close to buying my system :T )
  • js24
    • Feb 2005

The difference might not be as significant as you'd felt from the CM to 703 comp.yet it is still clear and it is still there. 804 is better in every aspect that you listed up there (I haven't heard 804S yet). It is simply more musical than the 703 (703 may sound more analytical)
    I own the 703 and I'm happy with it; it was the best I could afford then. However, I know the 804 is better, and I'm upgrading this year (possibly all the way to 802D).

my recommendation is to go for the best you can afford, especially if this is your long term stuff
    good luck :T

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

The N804 is great. I havent heard the 804S beside it, but I have heard it. I thought that the 804S would be an improvement for 2 channel audio, which you are looking for, but not much for HT. I heard the biggest difference in the detail of the tweeter.
      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Verinnal
        • Mar 2005

First let me start off by saying that Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands. They are absolutely incredible. I'd be curious to hear what other types of music you're interested in. Are you a musician?

Now back onto the topic at hand. I, like you, listended to the 600 series, and 700 series. Then I listened to the 800 series (specifically 804s and 805s) and was blown away. I brought in a demo CD covering the widest range of my music tastes. Some stuff I listened to was

DT
        Tori Amos
        Clapton
        Cake
        Mad Season
        Kansas
        Patricia Barber
        Pantera

I had very specific things in each track and artist that I was listening for and I can break those down for you if you're interested but in short what I found when listening to the 804s was that from the bassiest lows to the highest highs everything sounded perfectly balanced. The bass wasn't too boomy yet the sound was full. Percussive instruments sounded tight and acccurate. Vocals were crisp and clear. The highs were nothing less than what I considered perfect and were never at any point in time harsh or too forward.

The 703s were a nice speaker and sounded so good that they made me grin but the 804s made me smile hard from ear to ear. My fiance was taken aback by the cost of the speaker until we had a 3.5 hour listening session this weekend when I compared the 804s to the 703 and to a pair of dynaudios. To be honest, for the price, I was very happy with the dynaudios and thought that they sounded almost as good as the 804s except on one track (the mad season song I'm above) there were some guitar chords that had some overbearing harmonics that were wreaking havoc on my ears and I had to turn down the volume.

I'm going to do a few more listening sessions as I still want to heard Kef and Monitor Audio Gold Reference but so far nothing from Vandersteen, Paradigm, and JMLab could hold a candle to the 804s. I have a feeling I'll be picking up some 804s within the next week or two. What will seal the deal for me is I finally have the ability to listen to them with my receiver before buying so I'll do that. This weekend the salesperson helping wasn't able to but he said that next time I come in I could give him a call and he could set up and SR8500 with the speakers I'm going with.

Hope this helps

:T

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

Verinnal, your info helps alot yes.

I like DT & OSI, Vai (just saw him live last weekend), Satriani, Dave Brubeck, Clapton, Pantera, Primus, Malmsteen, SRV, old Metallica & Megadeth and the list goes on.

I would like to know what tracks you used on DT, Clapton, Cake and Pantera and a little idea of what you were listening to in those tracks. (It would be very nice).

I didn't like Paradigm or JMLab that much either.

So if I understand well, if I try a 804S I will adopt it!? It is worth the extra $ for you?

Thanks!

Comment

• ti33er
            • Apr 2004

804S is a superb speaker for it's price and class, I have listened to it plenty recently...hopefully I will own a set of these (as the very least choice from the new 800 models - in the future I would love to go higher like to 802D but this is more like wishful thinking and remains to be seen...my lady makes snyde comments every time she walks past and sees me on this forum, like what are you looking at those for...and if looks are like words, she is more or less saying "you will nEvErRr get those again" ARGH)
            "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

ti33er, did you ever get to listen to the N804 and/or 703 ? If so, are you impressed by the differences?

Thanks!

Comment

• ti33er
                • Apr 2004

To be truthfull I havent really listened to the 703 as the speaker never appealed to me aesthetically. From what I gather however it is not as accurate, open sounding or baseworthy of the N804? …I liked the N804 but found it a little laid-back at times, however the new 804S is more like the revered “Signature 805”, only better! You have got to listen for yourself and make up your own mind though.
                "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• DrBoom
                  • Dec 2003

I've never found the N804 to sound laid-back actually, maybe on Marantz equipment.
                  But on Classé or my Parasound it's very much alive.
                  703's never appealed to me either, nor did any of the other speakers in the 700 series, not my sound at all.
                  They all have overactive tweeters, and the midrange is waaay to prominent even for a B&W speaker.
                  I like a clear and present midrange, but too much is too much.
                  They never sounded musically correct to me either, but that's my opinion ofcourse.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"