X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyny
    • Jul 2004

804s with Krell KAV-400xi Integrated Amp

Hi gang,

Do you guys think that B&W's new 804s will sound good with Krell KAV-400xi (200wpc)? Anyone who got a chance to listen to this combo, any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Tony
    Tony
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Is it at all possible for you to take the Krell to a dealer and have them hook it up for you?
    Might be the best way to tell if it works for you....Nice looking integrated by the way.
    ......Pat

Comment

• nyny
      • Jul 2004

Unfortunately, none of my local dealers carry both Krell and B&W. I will definitely try to borrow a 400xi from the Krell dealer and hook it up to the 804s at the B&W dealer....but not sure how successful I will be though since I have yet to develope a good enough relationship with the Krell dealer that he would lend me the 400xi for a test drive. I will post an update if I am able to isten to the combo.
      Tony

Comment

• turbokuo
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by nyny
        Hi gang,

Do you guys think that B&W's new 804s will sound good with Krell KAV-400xi (200wpc)? Anyone who got a chance to listen to this combo, any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Yes they will.... Speakers have the biggest impact on SQ and the new 804s are excellent speakers.

Comment

• Nigel_Rav
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by turbokuo
          Yes they will.... Speakers have the biggest impact on SQ and the new 804s are excellent speakers.
          I agree the 804S' are excellent speakers, but they can only reflect the quality being fed into them. Hop over to the Naim forum and you'll find guys using c. £7k CD players and c. £6k amplifiers with £1k-£2k speakers on the basis that the source matters more than the speakers.

I think speakers generally have the biggest impact on the character of the sound, however. B&W 800 series seems to be pretty neutral in that regard - arguably they add a touch of warmth and bass drive over what would probably be quite an otherwise dull flat frequency response.

Comment

• turbokuo
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nigel_Rav
            I agree the 804S' are excellent speakers, but they can only reflect the quality being fed into them. Hop over to the Naim forum and you'll find guys using c. £7k CD players and c. £6k amplifiers with £1k-£2k speakers on the basis that the source matters more than the speakers.

I think speakers generally have the biggest impact on the character of the sound, however. B&W 800 series seems to be pretty neutral in that regard - arguably they add a touch of warmth and bass drive over what would probably be quite an otherwise dull flat frequency response.
            Ah yes and hop on over to AVSforum and there are people who sold their $11K amps and are running 8K+ speakers off of $220 Panasonic digital amps, $8 digital optical interconnects, $100 CD transports and $.59 per/ft speaker wire...basically these people don't buy into a lot of "snake oil" that's in the audiophile world. I find myself somewhere in between these two groups but at the end of the day, I have never doubted speaker upgrades within the B&W line that's how I started with 805's ended up with buying N802's.

Comment

• Claude D D
              • Jan 2003

The 804's with the 400xi is a sweet sounding combo.A friend/client of mine had the Rotel RSP-1068 with a RB-1080 running his 804's.He got rid of the RB-1080 and is now running the 400xi in theater pass for his HT and has his Krell SACD Standard running via the balanced in on the 400xi. It's a fantastic combo in 2 channel and HT.A much nicer presentation in 2 channel,really adds much more depth and weight to the 804's.Anyone that says 804's can't put out any bass should listen to this combo.Very good bottom end and nice sweet mids and high's.Just go for it you won't be disappointed. :T
              Last edited by Claude D D; 19 May 2005, 23:28 Thursday. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Patt
                • Feb 2005

Claude, ...or anyone

Can you tell me if the Krell 400 handled the B&W 804's at "low volume" pretty well, or did they only spring to life at higher volumes?

............Thanks
                ......Pat

Comment

• Claude D D
                  • Jan 2003

Even at low volume levels everthing was where it should be.The volume control on the 400xi goes from 0-150.Normal background music listening levels at 20-30 sounded great.I've heard the combo wound up to 120+ and it can pressurize a room with very dynamic sound.I have found the 400xi to have a more balanced sound than the older Krell integrated amps.One of my favorite combo's to listen to was the Rotel RCD-1072 cd player,Krell KAV400xi and B&W N804's.With a Canadian retail of approx. $10k it's not an inexpensive rig but it's not ourageous either and it sounds killer with all types of music. :T .

Comment

• Patt
                    • Feb 2005

I've been drooling over a black Krell 400 for sometime now...... :E
                    ......Pat

Comment

• Claude D D
                      • Jan 2003

I hear ya Pat.My B-day is coming up soon and I think I'll be treating myself to the baby Krell.

Comment

• Patt
                        • Feb 2005

It ought to light those Def Tech's up well for you........

Mmmm...
                        I'm curious if Tony will be able to audition one at home, the dealer here would loan it out in a minute if he thought he had 1/2 a chance to sell one.
                        ......Pat

Comment

• Mark_C.
                          • Jan 2003

I've been going back and fortth: 400xi or Musical Fidelity A5. My local Krell dealer didn't want me demoing the unit for more than three days. I was trying for four days (I live quite a distance from the dealer). He said no. I just ordered the A5. Now I have to sell my Classe CAP-101 that I've used for three years to run my 804s. It's a fantastic integrated; I just had the itch is all. I still wonder if there will be much of a difference between the Classe and the A5.
                          For what it's worth, an acquaintance of mine, my former salesman who worked at a shop that sold both Krell and Musical Fidelity, said both units are top-notch, with the Krell having the advantage in resale because of name recognition.

Comment

• nyny
                            • Jul 2004

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info, unfortunately, I still have not get a chance to borrow the 400xi from the dealer. After reading Claude's description of the 804S/400xi combo, I am very anxious to hear them in action.

I will call my dealer tomorrow to set up a time next Friday to demo. I will report back ASAP. At the mean time, if anyone else had the chance to listen to this combo, please do share.

Pat, although I have all silver Rotel gear right now, I have to agree with you that the black 400xi does look very nice...better than the silver version IMHO. If I do end up getting it, it will have to be black.

Claude, since you have the RB1080, what do you think of matching it and RSP-1068 with the new 804s? How will it compare to the Krell?

Thanks,
                            Tony
                            Last edited by nyny; 21 May 2005, 10:37 Saturday.
                            Tony

Comment

• Claude D D
                              • Jan 2003

I haven't had the chance to listen to the new 804S with a RSP-1068/RB-1080 combo.But I have listened to them with the RCD-1072/RC-1070/RB-1080 vs the the RCD-1072/KAV400xi.The 804S's sound great with both rigs but I have to give the edge to the Krell.The Krell seems to dig a little deeper and have more depth in it's presentation.In all fairness the Krell does cost more and in most cases you get what you pay for.Cabling plays a big part too.We were running Transparent Musicwave Supers with NBS jumpers on the speakers,Musiclink Super interconnects and Powerlink Super power cords.Speakers and electronics of this caliber definetly benefit from high quality cabling. :T

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"