• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kurtholz
    • Feb 2005

serious case of upgraditis/? about Krell

Hey all

i know i am sick, but the Rotel/krell/B&W dealer is making it to easy,

currently using the Rotel 1067, with the 1095 amp, i was going to add the 1090 2 channel and call it quits

but, now i have been talked into the Krell showcase, at i think a very good price, and to boot a deal on the 1090 2 channel

so, my question is, does the balanced inputs and the features of the Krell, worth about $1000 more in cost? is it really a big step up?

are these a good match?

is there some pill i can take to stop all this craziness??? hahaha

Kurt
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

The krell will be better than the Rorel. The krell is a true balaned amp. and the Rotel a quasi balanced one(I hope I got the term right). $1000.00 better? Remember the law of diminishing returns. As you go higher uo the ladder in audio, you will pay much more for a slight increase in performnce. Since he is your dealer he should let you audition both in your home with your speakers and the decide if you want to spend that xtra$1000.00
    As for the upgraditis bug forget a cure. It is like the HI or flu virus which keeps mutating and for which there is no cure currently.
    Enjoy.
    Which B&W speakers are you using? This is a B&W forum.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
      • Apr 2005

Quasi Balanced

I would say Quasi-Balanced is correct...

Typically to take advantage using balanced cables you need the entire list of components to be fully balanced. single ended to balanced to single ended between components has zero advantage, except, you've got a nice balanced cable in there...

just my 2 cents
      Andrew ward

Comment

• georgev
        • Jul 2004

You captured it very eloquently Andrew.

Comment

• kurtholz
          • Feb 2005

thanks for the advice, just looking thru the Krell manuel, it really does a lot more than the 1067

to answer your speaker question, using the cdm9"s as fronts, but have 803d's on my short list, just need a month or two to recoup from all these passionate buy's, hahaha

htm1 center, 604 s3 surrounds, and 601 rear centers,

probably make the 604's go away on ebay, try and move the cdm9's to the rear

but, not sure that is going to work, probably end up doing the correct surrounds when all the dust settles

using a 1095 5 channel now, i was going to go with the 1090 2 channel to drive my fronts, but that Krell 3250 3 channel is looking good ( so much though)

i think, if i could get that all together, possibly i could sleep at night

:-)

ahhhhhh, almost forgot, the other wild card, speaker cable, where is that Cat cable guy when you need him

Kurt

Comment

• georgev
            • Jul 2004

Yup. I would keep the CDM 9's as the surrounds with the 803d's and the HTM1 in the front, in which case you cannot make do with the 1095 Rotel.
            Keep the 1095 for the surrounds and the 3channel Krell for the front three. Bear in mind that even the CDM 9's are power hungry.
            Later on move your CDM's and get ?4matching surrounds, e.g. the SCM's or even the CDM SNT's. You probably can pick up used sNT's fairly cheaply and they are very good surrounds. Then your 1095 would shine.

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

Whats the price on the Krell? There is another offering from the Madrigal(makers of Mark Levinson) stable which is fantastic value and that is the Proceed HPA 3. This is a true triple monoaural amp. and though no longer being made sometimes does come up for sale. I used it for my front three, having changed from a Rotel 991(two channel). 250W into 8ohms which doubles into 4ohms. It is also a proper balanced amp.
              Check out the review on audiorevolution.com.
              I still use it to drive my center(HTM 1) and two of the surrounds.

Comment

• TimL
                • Apr 2005

I am using a Krell KAV 3250 at 250w x 3 for my N802s and my HTM1 for the last year. My Krell sounds very good with great detail and with a well defined sound stage. I have heard - at my dealer- the Rotel and Bryston and while not as clean and detailed as the Krell the Bryston also did a good job. The Rotel is ok but not in the same league as the Krell or the Bryston. Hope my experience helps

Comment

• kurtholz
                  • Feb 2005

thanks for all the help, i think i might demo the krell3250 and the Rotel 1090, see which gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling,

though the earthquake amps, that next level sells, were brought to my attention recently, that might be a really better way to go, then all that left over money i can go back to womanizing and drinking heavy.

hahahaha

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"