X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shuang1234
    • Apr 2003

The truth about balanced inputs and outputs

I have noticed a number of posts disqualifying the Rotel 1098 from consideration due to lack of balanced connections. I stumbled upon a few interesting articles that explain pros and cons about balanced connections.

In a nutshell, unless you have serious noise problems or a high-end system with fully balanced circuitry throughout, the quasi-balanced connections in the worse case provide sound quality inferior to RCA connections (due to an additional signal conversion going from unbalanced to balanced) and in the best case simply add cost to your equipment, money which could be better spent on higher quality DACs, power supplies, etc.

From a marketing perspective, balanced connections are pitched as being superior, while from an engineering perspective they can be a serious compromise in getting best value for the money sound.

From Stereophile
    Balance: Benefit or Bluff?
    http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?335

From Arcam a white paper explaining why their flagship FMJ AV8 preprocessor does not provide balanced connections.
    http://www.audiophilesystems.com/arcam/BalancedView.pdf

Anyways my 2 cents worth.
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Thanks for sharing the articles shuang1234.

I wouldn't cross the new pre-pro off the list because of this factor alone. There are too many considerations more important to me personally.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"