X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earendil
    • Apr 2005

804s or 805s?

Hi all!. This is my first post, so let me introduce myself: I'm Andrew, from Spain. I've been reading this forum for a few months and now i need your help ;-)

I'm planning to buy a new set of speakers and i'm thinking about the new 800 series. My room isn't big: about 4x3.5m. Also i'm still a student and my budget is limited he he.

I have too options: 804s and HTM3s (this option implies that i have to buy the system bit by bit: now the 804s and later on (about christmas or so) the HTM3s. Till then i'll be using my current LCR60 as centre.

The second option, fits better in my budget: a pair of 805s and HTM4s. In this case i don't have to wait too long to get the system complete.

In both cases i will power the speakers with my Yamaha 2500 (also planning to get a power amp, probably a rotel RMB-1075; obviously looking for the best "bang of the buck")

What do you think is the better option, based in my room dimensions? I'm afraid that the 804s will sound too much "boomy".

Is the difference between 804 and 805 worth the efford?

Any imput will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS: sorry about my poor english, i'm trying to do my best...
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

If you are buying new, will your dealer let you audition them in your room? I had both in my room at the same time. At the dealer, the 804S's sounded better, in my room, I prefered the 805S's. So, rooms make a difference. The 804 does have quite a bit more bass, but it might be too boomy depending on your setup.

Comment

• JCL
      • Apr 2005

I think your desire for a sub will come up. The 805 is not small but it's not a floorstander either... A Sub to match will cost you a lot, if you think in REL's you should be about a STorm of STadium. Or if you think in B&W's a the cheapest ASW 800 series but both don't come cheap. It's a choise you have to make. I would buy the 804 and save the sub. That makes the 804 cheaper as well. But don't forget, they need a bigger amp as well...

Comment

• ti33er
        • Apr 2004

I would go for the 804S if I could find a way to acquire them - room boom is also due largely to speaker placement in my experience...try moving the speakers further away from the wall to get less boom (this enhances a spatial effect too) ...IMO the 804S bass is simply more prestigious and deeper and that FST driver really widens the sound-stage compared to the 805S ...after buying the relative stands, the price diff between 804/805 is not that drastic? Correct me if I am wrong
        "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• turbokuo
          • Feb 2005

I agree with ti33er. Even though the 805s are great, the 804s do sound that much better. And after a couple of months, you'll always be thinking about the 804s in the back of your mind.

Comment

• shep
            • Dec 2004

804 vs 805

A couple thoughts:

1) how long will you live in your current home? Do you expect to move in the next year or so?

2) what is the return/upgrade policy of your store?

3) As mentioned in a previous post, can you audition the 805 and the 804 in your home before purchase? Let you ears (modified by your budget) decide.

4) All other things being equal, if your goal is to go 5.1 (for home theater), why not buy the 805s first. Later, you can move up to the 804, and make the 805 your "rear" speakers. That way, you have more money to buy a bigger amp now. If you just cannot live with the 805, after comparing with the 804, then start with the 804 and look for a second job to pay for the upgrades.

just my two cents.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ti33er
              I would go for the 804S if I could find a way to acquire them - room boom is also due largely to speaker placement in my experience...try moving the speakers further away from the wall to get less boom (this enhances a spatial effect too) ...IMO the 804S bass is simply more prestigious and deeper and that FST driver really widens the sound-stage compared to the 805S ...after buying the relative stands, the price diff between 804/805 is not that drastic? Correct me if I am wrong
              I concur. My room is only 2m larger than yours and I too was in the same situation... 805s or 804s. Like ti33er said, when you include the price of the stands the price difference becomes less of a factor, but the gains in the mids and lows are big. I believe this is a much better buy.

The price for the HTM3S (center) is steep, but the advice you will hear from this forum is you are better off with it then to go cheap without it.

I say, get the 804S's and build up your system.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Jonathannk
                • Mar 2005

And after a couple months of having the 804s, you'll always be thinking about the 802s in the back of your mind.. its a never ending addiction

Comment

• turbokuo
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jonathannk
                  And after a couple months of having the 804s, you'll always be thinking about the 802s in the back of your mind.. its a never ending addiction

Tell me about it...that's why I started with the 805S 2 months ago and ended up buying the 802's two weeks ago. :W

Comment

• Earendil
                    • Apr 2005

First of all, thanks for your replies. You make the decision so much easy :P

I'm doing some "objetive" research prior to go to my dealer and make the "subjetive" one.

I think i'm gonna go the 804s route, seems they worth the extra money. I know this will take more time to complete my new system, but i have no hurry. I mean, those speakers are going to stay with me a long time, so it doesn't matter to me if within the next year i won't be able to get the best performance out of them. I hope i will finish the upgrade before i finish my studies (at least one year more if all goes well :roll: ). After that, i will have to pay my real life (mortage, bills, etc) so i'm gonna be broke for a few years :B :B

So, my upgrade path will be the following:
                    - Buy now the 804s and keep the rest of my equipment: Yamy 2500, B&W 602 (rears) and LCR60 as centre. The way i see it, as bad as they might sound with my amp, still will be sounding better than my 602, right?
                    - Next i will buy a power amp to feed them. I'm thinking in Rotel RMB 1075, with the Yamy as pre/pro. Not sure by now, tho.
                    - Then i will buy the HTM3s.
                    - Finally, i will win the lottery and buy 5 802D and a HTM1D :rofl:

Is that right?

Again, thanks for your help, hope you understand anything i wrote... :cry:

Comment

• caleb
                      • Aug 2004

Hey - you can't win the lottery - I've got my name down for that!! :rofl:

Your plan to go slowly but buy the best you can afford is the right way to do it in my opinion.

But beware you will probably do your upgrades much quicker that your plan when you hear the diffeerences.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"