X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Juan Cortez
    • May 2003

N804 vs 804S

I have pretty much decided that I will be going with the B&W's. I was wondering, is there really a huge difference between the N804 and the 804S? I am looking at the 2 following set ups:

N 804 (pair)
    N 805 (2 pair)
    N HTM1
    ASW 855 (pair)

and

804S (pair)
    805S (2 pair)
    HTM3S
    ASW 855 (pair)

Which would be the better set up? Has anyone compared the two lines? Also Will a NAD T973 amp be enough to dirve these speakers? B&W said it should be fine. My room is 30 X 22 X 8 and I do like to listen at fairly loud levels. If my dealer still carries Rotel I will probably go with them instead.

Thanks
    Jason
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

If you listened to them side by side you would hear more detail in the mids and highs on the 804S's. If you heard them at different times/places, you might or might not hear a difference.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• weijst
      • Jun 2004

I believe it's safe to assume the new line will sound 'better' in almost every aspect. Why else would B&W place it on the market as 'the Nautilus serie's successor'? Fact is you'll be paying for all these extra's...

If I were you, I'd ask myself "is the difference in sound worth it?" Great deals on the 'old' Nautilus series are popping up on the occassion market almost every day. I wouldn't be surprised if you'll be able to get yourself the Nautilus setup you described for half the price of the 800 or S series setup...This way you'll save yourself some money, which I would invest in another amp (Classe, Parasound, Bryston, Krell etc), as you mentioned you like to listen at loud volumes and the entire upper B&W range is rather powerhungry...

Do not forget six months ago the Nautilus serie was considered to be top notch and found itself on the top of people's wishlists. Ever since the new 800 series has arrived, it seems that people have forgotten this and only have eyes for the new range, which, IMHO, is simply too expensive. Especially compared to the bargains you can get nowadays on the 'old range'.

Good luck!
      Last edited by weijst; 24 June 2005, 07:38 Friday.
      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• akhter
        • Jun 2005

I was faced with the same decision...pay about $4000 for the 804S or $2700 for the N804. The salesman asked me not even to look at the new ones and said if I wanted to spend that much, I should buy the N804 and spend more on a better reciever or cables as the difference isn't worth it.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

The N800 series is a better bargin overall, obviously. Unless you are looking for something on the order of the old N802 versus a new 803D (or maybe an 803S at full retail) which can be had for about the same price, making the 802N a steal. However, with decent discounts the new 800 series can be had that will make the "sound worth the money" question immaterial.
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• akhter
            • Jun 2005

Where does one get discount on the new 800 series? My dealer won't discount the new ones. And I didn't find anyone on the internet or mailorder that sell B&Ws.

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

B&W's policy forbids Internet/mail order sales.

Depending on how well you can negotiate one, the discount comes from you!
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                • May 2003

Thanks for the replies.

I will give them both a listen too and see if I can hear a difference between them. Would a NAD T973 amp be enough to drive either set up? I like to play at fairly loud levels. Also does the DSP calabration on the ASW 875 actually work? Will I notice a huge difference in preformance if I were to get that sub and calabrate it in my room?

Thanks again
                Jason

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"