X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anriki
    • Apr 2005

Amp for 802 D

I will have the 802 D and i would like to know about a great amp for a good impression on voices .
    Thanks you for your experience
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Mmm some would say to "low profile" but I would recommend a Rotel 1090.

Or you could go Classe Omega Monoblocks for well over twice the cash....

The 1090 is effectively two monoblocks in one chassis for around £1700.

Rgds Steve

Comment

• jericho
      • Dec 2004

I've heard the 802D with a Classé CA-2200 and it sounded a lot better than any other combination like McIntosh or Accuphase.
      2x200 watt at 8 Ohm, 2x400 watt at 4 Ohm.

Comment

• caleb
        • Aug 2004

You could also try the Bryston 7B SST monoblocks - they make my 802 dance!!

Comment

• Chelseaforever
          • Mar 2005

I am using a Bryston 4B SST with my 802D's. It drives them very well to very high volume combined with excellent resolution, detail and incredible dynamics.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I am (only had them just a shade over a week),

Comment

• joe_s
            • Mar 2005

jerico, can you tell me what mcintosh you reviewed relative to the 802D's. I'm about to procure 802D's, and the dealer is recommending MC501 monoblocks. I have not heard the Classe Delta combination. I must admit I'm curious to hear as some items seem to say this is a great combo, while others state just the opposite....to each their own I suppose.

Comment

• georgev
              • Jul 2004

I use a Mark Levinson 332(with the upgraded caps) and it sounds really good. You could pick them up "pre- loved" on Audiogon, "relatively" cheaply. Monstrously heavy though. I think the 300 series of the Levinson amps were fantastic, even better than the current 400 series.

Comment

• jericho
                • Dec 2004

I heard McIntosh MC402 on the new 802D.In fact you have to compare this amplifier with the classé ca-m400. My opinion the Classé gives more detail, in the mid and high.
                Also, I don't like the look of the McIntosh in combination with the new Delta line of Classé... but that is only a persons idea

Comment

• JCL
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by georgev
                  I use a Mark Levinson 332(with the upgraded caps) and it sounds really good. You could pick them up "pre- loved" on Audiogon, "relatively" cheaply. Monstrously heavy though. I think the 300 series of the Levinson amps were fantastic, even better than the current 400 series.
                  That combo is verry populair. You cloud look at http://www.hifi.nl and chek "Uw sets" under "zoeken" you can find a few users with 802 and see what they use to amp it.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                    • Mar 2005

Musical Fidelity kW500 integrated, what a wonderful match; the kW500 has vice-grip like control of the 802D's.

Comment

• JCL
                      • Apr 2005

On that site, you can alse find this set

My.hifi.nl vertelt je alles over de nieuwste ontwikkelingen op het gebied van high-end audio. De informatiebron voor wie houdt van echte geluidskwaliteit.

Want one, want one badly. My god $100.000 on an HT system and to think, his rear speakers are really just nothing, i'm wonder what he will use there in the future.

Comment

• audiofun
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by anriki
                        I will have the 802 D and i would like to know about a great amp for a good impression on voices .
                        Thanks you for your experience
                        I highly recommend Threshold S/5000e

I have this amp with my N802. Terrific match! It has great bass like Krell, great detail resolution, excellent depth. The reviewer's decription is quite accurate! Here is the summary from the review

"It's difficult to overstate how great a value the Threshold S/5000e amplifier is. I can only think of two solid-state amplifiers under $10,000 that are better. Both the Parasound JC-1 mono amplifiers and the McCormack DNA-500 stereo amp have a special place in my heart. However, both cost nearly two and a half times the retail price of the Threshold S/5000e. Thus, in terms of sheer bang for the buck the S/5000e succeeds, but let's not forget this amp's wonderful sonic qualities -- the sort that $2500 amplifiers just do not generally possess.

The S/5000e is an amazingly powerful and economical amplifier that also happens to sound terrific. "

Comment

• Jonathannk
                          • Mar 2005

Hi guys -

What do you think of a Krell KAV-250a vs a Classe CA-300 vs a lower powered Classe CA-101 to power the 802s? Thanks in advance guys - just bought my new 802s and looking for a new amp.

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
                            • Mar 2005

Jonathan - I have no personal experience with any of those amps, but I will note two things. 1) I believe in amp speaker synergy and 2) the 802's like as much power as you can give them.

While this may not inform you in what to purchase, I share it nonetheless; I would shy away from a "lower powered" amp.

Comment

• Fife
                              • Apr 2004

For N802/802D, I think you need more power than a Bryston 4B SST, Krell KAV-250a, Classe CA-300, Proceed HPA2, ML332...etc... to get the most out of them.

I think you would need at least one of the above just for the bass driver and another or slightly less current for the tweet/mid-range. (ie. Bryston 3B, Krell Kav-150, ML 331).

Or course, you could get away just using Bryston 7B/14B, Krell KSA-250/KMA/FPB, ML 20/333/336.

800 series are CURRENT hungry...not just power hungry.

Comment

• Romanesq
                                • Feb 2005

McCormack DNA-2 Deluxe Rev. A gold

Sadly parting with it for my Nautilus at audiogon. 8)

Comment

• EAmin
                                  • Aug 2004

I really like the design of the new CAM400 Deltas. I love the styling too.

B&W used Classe amps to voice the 800 series (for obvious reasons). So you'd be hearing them the way designers intended them to sound. I have yet to hear the CAM400s, but I really like the how you can plug in your HT processor into the single ended inputs and plug in a stereo preamp into XLR inputs. You can switch the inputs via a button on the front panel, triggers, etc.

I was thinking about doing 3 CAM400s with my 1098 processor plugged into the single-end inputs and getting a Classe Preamp with the balanced inputs. But then I woke up.

It's too bad more amplifiers aren't made with the balanced/single-ended approach. At least those that are able to switch on the fly.

Comment

• Jonathannk
                                    • Mar 2005

Thanks for the responses guys. Heard the 802s today again on all Levinson gear (Forgot the transport, 360S, 432 amp) and the sound was fantastic and effortless even with dynamic material at high volumes. Then again the 432 is 400 wpc @ 8 ohms and way out of my price range for now. I think I'm going for the Classe CA-300 for now - used its the only thing in my price range. If I'm going to be terribly dissapointed with this someone let me know... my budget is ~2200 at the most for amplification - any better suggestions?

Comment

• georgev
                                      • Jul 2004

You can pick up used Mark Levinson 300series(IMHO better than 400series) reasonably on audiogon.
                                      Fantastic amps. and very adequate for the 802,s. From the 332 upwards.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                        • Nov 2004

Krell, Classe, Mark Levinson, McIntosh, Rotel, Parasound

Am I missing any others to audition for B&W 802N?

I would be interested in a stereo only version, but additionally a matching (lower quality) 5 channel to go along with it to power the surround & center.

Ideally, less than $5k USD, therefore used is fine.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

I would add Bryston to that list.
                                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

I just ordered the 802D's and they will be coming. I have the Krell Kav3250 and 2250 (2 x 250 watts conservative) Does anyone use the same ?? I was going to use just the 2250 devoted to the 802D's. I am more interested in hearing detail at low volume than loud.

Comment

• abqnmusa
                                              • Jan 2006

I use a Rotel RB-1090 witih my Nautilus 802 S3's (2004 version). The amp produces clean clear sounds, good bass, and details at low volume. It is not high $$$$$ "audiophile" but gets the job done.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI doggy,
                                                I sure do like your amplifiers. I have the Krell 3250 that I use for driving the front channels. It's a wonderful amp. I wish I had the 2250 for the rears but in my room, its very hard to justify. Instead I use the rear channels of my Denon 3805 receiver. I also have the Krell KAV 280P preamp for the music side of the system.

I can tell you that the 3250 on my 805S's sounds fantastic, IMO. In fact the whole system sounds great. I would like to hear what you think on your 802D's. I think it will blow you away. The 3250 is a first class amp.

Sparky

Comment

• Eliav
                                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by EAmin
                                                  I really like the design of the new CAM400 Deltas. I love the styling too.

B&W used Classe amps to voice the 800 series (for obvious reasons). So you'd be hearing them the way designers intended them to sound. I have yet to hear the CAM400s, but I really like the how you can plug in your HT processor into the single ended inputs and plug in a stereo preamp into XLR inputs. You can switch the inputs via a button on the front panel, triggers, etc.

I was thinking about doing 3 CAM400s with my 1098 processor plugged into the single-end inputs and getting a Classe Preamp with the balanced inputs. But then I woke up.

It's too bad more amplifiers aren't made with the balanced/single-ended approach. At least those that are able to switch on the fly.

I have the CAM400 monoblocks driving the 803s. I love this combo. IMHO the silky/velvet yet powerful grip of the Classe realy makes the B&W sound smooth,it rounds their brightness and yet reviels the finest details in music reproduction.
                                                  I bet the CAM400 will sound even better with the 802D
                                                  Eliav
                                                  :T Socrat

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Apr 2003

You may want to give a listen with the NuForce Ref9s, especially if it's vocals you cheresh. I've never listened to the 802D with the Ref 9s but I have the 803D and all I can say is that amp did wonders for the diamond tweeter.
                                                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2003

DRJRapp]... but I have the 803D ...
                                                      Jerry - does that mean you have the 803D as well as the XT4s?

Geoff

Comment

• hillen
                                                        • Nov 2004

My 802D's are driven by the Bryston 4B-SST ( and Tact RCS 2.0 roomcorrection preamp ), and the sound is just magical, like live performances!!!

Comment

• miner
                                                          • Mar 2005

You could get two RB-1091 digital monoblocks (500/ch 8 ohm; 1000 watts/ch 4 ohm) for $3000 MSRP. I recently picked up the 2 ch version RB-1092. I am just amazed and the quality & improvement over my previous amp (RB-1070).

Comment

• franklin_ron
                                                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                                            I just ordered the 802D's and they will be coming. I have the Krell Kav3250 and 2250 (2 x 250 watts conservative) Does anyone use the same ?? I was going to use just the 2250 devoted to the 802D's. I am more interested in hearing detail at low volume than loud.
                                                            Doggy, I am using a slightly different config. I am using a Krell 2250 for the mid/treble connects on the 802D. I am using two of my TAS channels for the bass. I feel it is definitly better. I am considering going to a MC402 or Krell FPB400. The Krell is really more than I want to spend. Also, considering keeping the Krell and driving the bass with NuForce.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by franklin_ron
                                                              Doggy, I am using a slightly different config. I am using a Krell 2250 for the mid/treble connects on the 802D. I am using two of my TAS channels for the bass. I feel it is definitly better. I am considering going to a MC402 or Krell FPB400. The Krell is really more than I want to spend. Also, considering keeping the Krell and driving the bass with NuForce.
                                                              Ron
                                                              I've got the fpb400cx on the 802d's and they sound great. I'm waiting for a Pass labs x1 preamp to finish off the "stereo" side of the system. I've read many good things about this preamp's sound, considered by many to be better than the Krell preamp's sound.

So its the mixture, like a soup, you have to balance the ingredients just right.

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI doggy,
                                                                There are three ways people mate preamps and power amps. The first doesn't apply to you. Some folks don't have a clue about audio and buy for looks, price, or home decoration. Case closed.

The other two do apply. Either match the equipment from the same manufacturer or mix manufactures. I have done it both ways more than once (slow learner!) and have some thoughts on the issue.

Before I launch into this I want to establish a reference for the following thoughts. IMO, Rotel is not high end and the lower priced Krell equipment and stuff in the same price range also may not qualify. That should get a lot of people's attention.

In high end audio one goes beyond the normal concept of good or better fairly quickly. They are all great. What is more important is the integration of the sonic character of the system. This is where the skill, knowledge, experience, and ears of the audiophile come into play. But, the most important element at this level is the equipment designer’s sonic tastes.

It is amazing to me that each high end company establishes a family sound down through the years. After all, they all have the same resistors, capacitors, wire, etc., available to them. Yet, each one seeks and achieves a sound that I call a family signature. This is true of Audio Research, Krell, VTL, Conrad Johnson, Mark Levinson, Jadis, Air Tight, old (tube) Marantz and McIntosh, Threshold (Pass Labs?), Rowland, and others. The list is short and distinguished. These designers are artists (sorry Victor) using electrons as their palette and our ears as the canvas. They have a definite sonic goal in mind, AND have great ears.

When these designers work on a product they are after integration within the desired family signature. Thus, the preamp is designed with the power amp in mind and vise versa. They may even be taking certain speakers into consideration. I have been told that Audio Research used Martin Logan electrostatics to analyze their amps. Don't know for sure if this is true but I wouldn't doubt it.

So, as a buyer, we have a clear-cut choice: either audition and buy our preamps from the same company or not. At this level of equipment we are really choosing the designers concept of sound. By having the preamp and power amp from the same company we are really agreeing with the designers ideas. If we mix and match, we are getting two different concepts which, unless we are just lucky, will not optimize either.

Experience tells me that almost always it is best to stay with one company. Mixing and matching may yield some benefits but, overall, neither piece is going to sound as the designer intended from a systems point of view.

Ultimately, we must decide not between the best individual pieces but, rather, which sonic concept we prefer and then optimize around that choice.

Sparky

Comment

• manos
                                                                  • Mar 2007

Driving N 802

At first i would like to say hello to everyone .
                                                                  I hope that you forgive me for my poor English.
                                                                  Well, N802??
                                                                  I have a long experience about them,and i believe that my opinion is quite havy because of it.
                                                                  8 years a go i bought a pair of N802 and then i started to try to find the best amplification for them.
                                                                  8 years later i can definite and surly tell you that:
                                                                  N802 are one from the most hungry loudspeacers in the world and if you want to feed them correctly,you need W A T T S. But, real one.
                                                                  I drove them at first with ROTEL RB 1090 for the first 4 years. Rotel is a very strong amplifier with a lot of watts and a very low price.
                                                                  But B&W need much more than theese.The second amplifier i used was MCINTOSH MC 405. Excellent amplifier with very good depth in musical characteristics, but litle , very litle, very easy you could hear that you need 200 watts more at least.
                                                                  Then in a hi end shop in the market i heard KRELL 300w/8ohms driving N802.
                                                                  The result was not so efficient in my opinion. Sax was not so sweet and natural as with mcintosh.
                                                                  In last two years i drive my N802 with a pair of nemo monoblocks,powered by Electrocompaniet. And thats it. Evrything is totally excellent,perfect,brilliant,absolute musicall.
                                                                  My opinion is : N802 need not lower than 600 watts/8ohms and you will sutisfy it. I wish you have a good choise,but before buy anything try to hear. As more amplifiers you hear you gon a have better opinion on your choise.
                                                                  Congratulations for the loud speakers you bought.!
                                                                  Thank you for your time .

Comment

• chinets
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2005

I would say Mono Blocks of Classe, or Krell for those 802D beauties!!
                                                                    Cheers!

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2006

From a demo i had a few months ago,avoid Naim amps like the plague,unless it is maybe their top line stuff,they simply do not have the power required.I would say at least 200 wpc to begin to see their potential.The Naim amps clipped constantly,and at a low level too...

Comment

• jack d
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2006

I'm using Mac 501s. I upgraded recently from the Mac 402 and it made a difference. I was quite happy with the 402 but the extra power does make a difference.

One thing I would advise from my experience is if you are going to audition the Macs try the 4 ohm tap as well as the 8 ohm. There seems to be a difference of opinion but to my ears the 4 ohm taps make a huge and positive difference.

Comment

• Aldo
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Sep 2005

I also use the 4ohms!

Comment

Working...
                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                          Search Result for "|||"