X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audio_art
    • Nov 2008

B&W 802'd Preamplifier matching

I am in the process of purchasing a pair of 802'd speakers for STEREO ONLY listening. The rest of my system is as follows:

Amplifier: Classe CA-M200 monoblocks

Preamplifier: Aragon Aurum

I was thinking of replacing the preamp with a newwer model since mine is 10 years old. what are your thoughts?

Possible replacements would be the Krell Evolution 202 (tho pricey) or would the cheaper Bryston preamplifier be a better match for my amps and speakers?

I limit to these two choices since my dealer only carries these.

Also, what are your thoughts driving the 802'd with the Classe CA_M200s?

thanx......
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Do you have only one dealer in your city? Are you vehemently opposed to Agon?

If I was building a 2ch only system, outside of the obvious Classe, BAT would be my second choice from the different brands that I've heard. I've had Bryston and my dealer carries Krell. I'd decline on those... but thats me. I know PassLabs gets a lot of favorable reviews and so does Chord, but I've not heard them.

The Classe amp would probably be fine.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• audio_art
      • Nov 2008

audiogon

Yes, I am vehimently opposed to doin any business on Audiogon or Ebay.

I recently sold a pair of speakers on Audiogon. During that time I experienced the absolute filth that society offers. Offering thousands less then the asking price. Selling to foreign countries, then asked to commit internation tax fraud, etc....

I think not.....

Comment

• Orb
        • Aug 2008

I use Chord equipment, regarding Chord pre-amps the ideal one to look at IMO is the CPA3000 and its price can hurt.
        Still its the standard pre to buy if using above entry Chord amps as there does seem to be synergy between their pre and power amp from my experience and what I have heard from a few others.

BTW I believe you may find Bryston the same; their pre works best with their amps (or get the most out of it in terms of sound quality).

Regarding dealers, I know it can be a pain building relationship with multiple dealers but I find that it can make good sense and would help in your situation.
        My speakers,amps, acoustic panels are from three different dealers and while it has been a bit of hassle I feel it has given me the best flexibility.
        I may also have been very lucky to find some exceptional high end dealers, who are great to chat to and provide a wealth of information.
        Before visiting these dealers I made a list and contacted each dealer by phone for a chat, from this I got a very good feel without having to even set foot into their shop.

Hope this can help.
        Cheers
        Orb

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Orb
          Regarding dealers, I know it can be a pain building relationship with multiple dealers but I find that it can make good sense and would help in your situation. My speakers,amps, acoustic panels are from three different dealers and while it has been a bit of hassle I feel it has given me the best flexibility. I may also have been very lucky to find some exceptional high end dealers, who are great to chat to and provide a wealth of information. Before visiting these dealers I made a list and contacted each dealer by phone for a chat, from this I got a very good feel without having to even set foot into their shop.Orb
          I could not agrre more I did the same even so I would have like to deal with only one dealer.

I got the B&W 802D at a very serious discount and no other dealer wanted to even give anything!!

Then I bought my Projector and Classé amps fromtwo other dealers as well.

I wished some people would have a better business sense and think that when a customer is coming and willing to spend thousands of dollars they would think to make them happy, but hey too bad for them. Like everything else competition is good for us
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

IN defense of Agon, I have been buying and selling on Agon for years, thousands of $$ and many many Amps, Preamps, Speakers, Wires etc etc bought and sold and never one bad experience.

If a person has lots of good feedbacks, the likihood of him being reputable is strong. You can usually tell by the first email communications who the person is and what they are about. When it comes to something worth thousands, I ALWAYS follow up with a phone conversation and usually its a passionate Audiophile of a certain substance on the other end and things work out.

I ignore lowballers, and don't even ask about things being offered by people with 0 feedbacks or very low feedbacks. When you see someone with 100 or more, and read all the feedbacks are good, you have a good indication.

I have never been burnt either on the buy or sell. Never ship before payment is in the bank, and never buy before confirming on the phone, unless its an inexpensive transaction and you feel good about it. IMHO

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"