X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb
    • Aug 2004

802 amps

Has anyone tried a pair of B&W 802's with the Mark Levinson 434 amp?

I have the TAG McLaren 250 monoblocks with my 802's and whilst I can't really put my finger on it - there is something missing.
    My friend has the 805s running from the ML432 and they sound GREAT!

The 802's can be a bit difficult to drive and I wondered what amplification people out there are using the get the best out of them?
  • JürgenW
    • Jul 2004

I have done a sound comparison with the Signature 805 and the N 802. For the N 802 a stereo - Marantz 14mk II SI was used and it sounded great.

So I wonder why you don't get a great sound with your monobloks.
    Is it not wrong fasing?
    or your room?

Jürgen

Comment

• DrBoom
      • Dec 2003

I'm actually amazed you liked the PM14 on 802's, I didn't even find it adequate for 804's.
      This matter of personal taste is probably why caleb doesn't like his McLaren 250's either, maybe he'd prefer a different sound.
      The larger Parasound amps are very good with 802's, for instance the venerable HCA3500 (discontinued though) or the new Halo JC1 monoblocks.
      I can imagine Bryston sounding very good as well, just like ML, but it's all very very personal.
      So if you feel like something's missing with your McLaren's, go out and try some other brands untill you find something you feel good about.

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

My experience (unfortunatly only with the matrix models..) is that they are power hungry and will almost alwayes sound better with an amp that loves low impedance. So that would be the big US beasts like Mcintosh, Krell, Levison - but you should also try english brands like Quad (made for the worst speakers of all, load wise) Naim, Musical Fidelity ....

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"