X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpeterman
    • Apr 2005

Used CDM1NT OR New 601 S3

Hey there folks, okay I'm a newbie here and have been convinced by listening and by a good friend that B&W speakers are pretty much the route to go for my new starter system. However, unlike many folks in here I'm on a bit of a budget so I've narrowed down my choice to a pair of Brand New 601 S3s (450.00 USD) OR a pair of Used (in good shape purchased new 2002) CDM1 NTs for 500.00 USD.
    Which speakers are the better deal for the money?
    All input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Have you tried listening to anything else besides B&W? They're great reputable speaker manufactures, but there sure is a whole bunch of reputable manufactures also. This is a B&W club, so most people will tell you to stick with B&W, but Paradigm, Dynaudio are also very popular also. Go and have a listen before you decide on the B&W.
    I've never heard the CDM series before, but I've heard the 700s and I own the 600s. Comparing the 600s to the 700s, the 600s sound much like "speakers" with boxier sounds while the 700s sounds alot smoother and the higher frequency sounds more open. Try and run a search for this topic, if you don't get much help. Good luck.

Comment

• Phil Rose
      • Aug 2000

BlazeMaster is correct. There are many good speakers to choose from. One that gets a lot of very positive press is the Rocket line from AV123.com if you're looking for a good value for you dollar. Great people to deal with also.

Anyway, back on topic. The CDM1 NTs would be the speaker to get of the two that you mention if you are set on B&Ws. The fact that they use some of the NT technology will make them a better that the little 601s. I've listened to the 601s and they were fine as rear speakers but really couldn't cut it as mains without a sub and even then...

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

Forget what the others said, B&W is really the only way to go. :B

The NTs are definitely a step up from the 601s because of the Nautilus-type tweeter. The 601s are fine speakers, just not up to the level of the NTs.

Comment

• jpeterman
          • Apr 2005

thanks for the quick responses

Yeah, I've listened to a couple other brands in my price range (JBL and Polk) and they just didn't stack up to the B&Ws. I've heard good things about the Dynaudio so I will try to give those a listen.
          In the meantime, thanks for the info. I thought the 601s3 I heard at the audio store sounded great (again keeping in mind my price range). These are my buddy's CDM 1NTs so I heard them at his house and they sounded real good, better than the 601 s3s. I'm buying them from my buddy and I'm hoping to get him down to 500 but he's more set at 600 right now, maybe get him to at least 550.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"