X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Guns
    • Mar 2005

Hello!

As a new member and new B&W owner I'd just like to say hello. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks while I've been contemplating buying a B&W 5.1 system. I've always liked the sound of B&Ws since first hearing them about 15 yrs ago. Last week I took the plunge and bought my local dealer's demo speakers consisting of 803, htm2, and scm1 all in red cherry. Last night I bought a demo htm1 from another dealer due mostly to the advice gleaned from this forum. I am looking to sell the htm2 or possibly use it as a rear center. I won't be able to set up a system until our new house is finished in Sept. as our rental house is much too small. Looking at the boxes in the spare bedroom is killing me. I bought now because of the availability of the demos and could never have paid close to retail so if I missed this window of opportunity I would have had to settle for lesser speakers. It took some major negotiating with my wife to get what I did. I have previously only had two channel; KEF 104.2 and Tandberg electronics and am looking forward to setting up a home theater. Part of the incentive from the dealer was a tv at cost plus shipping. That savings alone on a 50-61" plasma will pay for a good part of the speaker purchase.

I have a few questions. I am strongly considering a REL sub from the Britannia line. Does anyone have an opinion? I haven't heard many good things about B&W subs and the dealer, whose profit margin is probably the same on either brand, highly recommends the REL. While not a large house, the system will be set up in the living room of a "great room" plan.
    I bought an Onkyo 898 receiver on close-out a couple of years ago and will be using this until I can upgrade the electronics. I'm thinking Parasound.
    I'm also trying to decide on a location for the electronics; entertainment center vs in wall rack in the bedroom closet. My wife likes the idea of the electronics being hidden but I would like them more readily accessible and would also like to keep the runs of speaker wire shorter. Another concern is where to put that monster center speaker. My wife likes the looks of the htm2 better but we'll be using the htm1.

I'm looking forward to setting up my system and want to thank all of the knowlegeable people on the board. It will probably be a while before I have anything constructive to contribute as I'm a newbie at this home theater stuff.
  • Phil Rose
    • Aug 2000

WOW! Great first B&W system! I'd be anxious too.

REL subs are widely know for their musical characteristics. If you are intending to use a sub for music the REL should be high on your list. For HT only apps, you might look at Velodynes which incidently sound pretty good on music as well. The new B&W subs incorporate new technologies which may make them more attractive and others to look at are SVS, HSU, Bag End, etc. If you have the area and are into tinkering (DIY) you might consider an infinite baffle (IB) sub installation. There are many websites that deal with these. They do take some attention and space to set up but thier performance is amazing.

As for using the HTM1 for the front; stick to your guns. The voicing of this speaker more closely matches your 803s than the HTM2. I suspect that if the HTM2 is used in front, you'll hear a difference when sound pans across the front. It won't be as critical in the rear and they are a close match to the SCM1s.

If your Onkyo has the capability for an external amp, get a good multi-channel amp sooner than later. Your 803s and HTM1 will need more than the reciver can deliver to sound good.

Comment

• caleb
      • Aug 2004

My experience shopws that RELs can be a bit of a bugger to set up propoerly - you need patience and time to get the best out of them.

Comment

• ti33er
        • Apr 2004

I agree about REL being hard to set up correctly, but once they are they are magic! ...however the latest REL are easier to set up thanks to the handy new remote FYI
        "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"