X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Used Nautilus Speakers

What are some of the disadvantages of buying used/demo speakers from a dealership? How bulletproof are the drivers? What happens to them over time?

With a car you at least know its mileage....with speakers all you have is what the dealer tells you.

What things do you look for? Are there any tell-tale signs I should look for?

Is it unquestionable to have all the drivers replaced when buying a demo pair?

And lastly, Nautilus series speakers, is the aluminum ring around the FST driver removeable/replaceable?
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

This thread sheds some light. BTW; it may look familiar to you...
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

haha....Thank-you Weijst! And yes it does look QUITE familiar.

But it still doesn't answer my last 2 questions.

"Is it unquestionable to have all the drivers replaced when buying a demo pair?

And lastly, Nautilus series speakers, is the aluminum ring around the FST driver removeable/replaceable?"

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
        • Mar 2005

If the speakers are performing correctly I think it would be foolish to replace the drivers.

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

Well, its the 'grass-on-the-other-side-is-greener" syndrome...how do I know with 'USED' drivers that I'm not missing something that NEW drivers would provide?

Comment

• OmegaSpeed
            • Mar 2005

I think you are worry about something needlessly and would think they would either be working right or not, you'd know.

I had an issue with a preamp in the past that would go full volume randomly when chainging the volume, sending the amp into protection; the B&W speakers never missed a beat. This happened maybe 5 times before the problem was resolved.

Comment

• Jeff
              • Dec 2004

Omega, I had the same thing happen with floor demo Harman Kardon which
              I purchased. :M It's nice to know I can still move quick. I didn't move more
              than 10 feet away from it after that. I returned it to the store for $ back the next day.

Junior, as you know I purchased a used pair of N802's. Frankly, there may be something fishy going on. I heard some sound which I would bet that's
              not on the cd. There's nothing blown. However, I just have to wonder
              if they haven't been pushed a little on the far side. At present I'm not
              up to performing the necessary tests to verify this. I'm far to busy enjoying
              them. :B

If there is somethign wrong, I wouldn't return them. Just replace the driver in question. I did some checking on the 802 drivers. In proportion to the speaker, I didn't find the price of drivers prohibitive.

Perhaps in another 5 years I might replace the mids and tweeter anyway.
              I know it sounds a little extreme, ok maybe more than a little. I will say they were demos for 4+ years, so there is some definable age on em. But, I intend to have these a LONG time and considering the entire cost of my audio system...well, I see it being an issue I visit down the road.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"