X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Etherwolf
    • Mar 2005

Center Speaker Placement Question

I am torn twixt a pair of Klipsch RB-25's and a RC-25 center or a pair of B&W DM 602's and a LCR60 S3 center. I can get the Klipsch's for cost plus 10% so the B&W's will cost a lot more but I think I like the sound of them better.

The Klipsch center is front ported but the B&W is back ported. Will placing the B&W in the shelf I plan to use be screwing the pooch?

Actually I was FINE with my old Zenith and Kenwood setup but as you can see Old Tuna Breath..ah, MERLIN wanted to improve his viewing experience...

These pictures can be viewed full size by clicking them ...

Anyone able to compare the RB-25's to the 602's or 601's from experience ?

Wolf
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

Well, you are on a B&W forum here, so expect comments to be a little 'colored'...
    Honestly, I haven't heard the Klipsch speakers you mentioned, so I can't comment on those. I used to have the DM602 S3 / LCR60 S3 combination though. Those 602's are absolutely amazing! Definitely one of the best Hifi purchases I made so far! Make sure you put them on decent stands (not necessarily bank breaking ones) and I'm sure you'll be very satisfied.
    However, I always felt the LCR60 S3 was not that good a match with the 602's... I think it's supposed to be paired with the DM601's or maybe even DM600's. The LCR600 might be a better option for you. This however will make the B&W option even more expensive…

Good luck!
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Etherwolf
      • Mar 2005

No pun intended, I assume.

You're the second person who has suggested the LCR60 was lacking. Could you give a more specific comment on it's performance?

Thanks!

Wolf

Comment

• Etherwolf
        • Mar 2005

I forgot that the main question I have is whether this center will be adversely affected by placing it in the space under the TV! Again the link to the pictures will show the shelf I mean.

Thanks!

Wolf

Comment

• weijst
          • Jun 2004

Sounds moving across the front channels (602 => LCR60 => 602) went from 'open', 'powerfull' to 'modest', 'damped' to 'open', 'powerfull'. This was mainly audible in the lower frequency regions. Adjusting sound levels and/or delays did not change this.
          It was however during SACD / DVD-A playback when the 602's really proved to be the LCR60's bigger sibling; compared to the 602's the LCR60 clearly produced sound that came from a smaller version of the 602's, which is not desirable in the 'perfect' SACD/DVDA setup.

Don't get me wrong though, the LCR60 S3 was indeed a major step up from my all-in-a-box S*ny centre that a had before. I believe the 602's just deserve a better partner... But why not find out yourself and demo the two paired with a couple of 602's?

Good luck and more importantly, have fun !
          Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"