X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

Upgrading Center speaker

I am looking at upgrading my center speaker to either a klipsch RC-64 or a paradigm CC-690. My current main speakers are a pair of paradigm studio 100v3. I have read about huge difference's in sound between klipsch and paradigm but I am after a more lively sound than what my studio 100's currently give me. I have not heard klipsch speakers yet but from what i read about them I may like the sound.

My main is question if I get the klipsch center speaker with paradigm mains will it sound ridiculously out of proportion? Would I be better off getting the CC-690? I cannot perform this before my purchase. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I think the front three have to match pretty well, otherwise funny things happen when actors move around the sound stage. The centre is also the most important speaker for cinema and dialogue. I have no experience with either of your choices, but I'd definitely stick to the same family from the same brand for the fronts. This applies to the amplification too.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I always STRONGLY advocate that people match their speaker sets. If you don't, the sound is very distracting, and doesn't match. On sound pans, you'll have a sound travel from one speaker to the next, and jump DRAMATICALLY in sound.

I'd recommend the Paradigm.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

In my early days of HT I had mismatched front speakers and what a mess when a person's voice changes as they walk across a room. I'd stick with matching speakers, like Chris suggests.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• H.Donald
          • Aug 2004

Allow me to add to the stay with Paradigm group.
          I also use the same speakers as you...along with the cc690,and love it all.

I also have another system with the Paradigm 40s,cc590,and mix-matched surrounds with that one.
          I believe you can get away with mix-matching your sub or surrounds,but the front three...not so much.

If lively is what you seek,perhaps cables might do it for you???...room treatments??

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

I suggest that you go demo the Klipsch, see if you really like the sound of them. If you do, buy the Klipsch center and then plan on upgrade the other speakers later on down the line.

Granted, your current setup will be somewhat miss matched and not sound identical, but once you upgrade the other speakers to Klipsch and match them...then you'll be all set.

You definitely want all the speakers (if possible) to be from the same series and same manufacturer to give a seemless sound. However, you can feel free to mix and match until you find the sound your looking for... then go from there to get it all matching.

I started with a Pioneer & Yamaha setup that worked well enough and now have ended with a B&W full setup. So it never hurts to mix an match temporarily!
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"