• tmt
    • Jan 2005

mixing lots of amps on a B&W setup

Hi there,

current situation:
    fronts: N802 on Classe CA-401
    center: HTM-1 on Denon 3500
    surround: 603S2 on Denon 3500
    (center surround: LCR6 if I can find a pre-amp with 6.1 decoding)

I hooked up my brand new HTM-1 yesterday to replace my LCR6 as center speaker now that I have the Nautili.
    I don't think the 75 amps per channel from the denon will cut it with the HTM-1. Therefore I'm looking for a (second-hand) stereo amp to power it, something like a RB-1070 and bridge it or to bi-amp the HTM-1, leaving the Denon to handle the rear speakers.

That would mean 3 different amps, of 3 different brands.
    Is that a Bad Thing? Or won't I be able to hear the difference, unless I would be doing some very critical listening (which you don't really do when watching movies)

The other option is looking for a good 5 channel amp for center and surround channels, but that's getting expensive, and I don't want to retire my Denon just yet. Then again, I want a setup that I don't have to keep upgrading each year.

slightly off-topic: I wonder if I would hear a difference when using an amp like the CA-401 on the 603s instead of the Denon...
  • johan
    • Dec 2004

Hi tmt! Most important match is front three speakers. Dont use different amps there. I would suggest selling the 401 and get a Delta CA3200 instead. If your main interest is HT then that will be a big improvement. I dont think you will miss any watts and maybe you end up with more money in your pocket.

Comment

• JürgenW
      • Jul 2004

I use Audionet Amp IIGS for the front speakers, a Quad 606 for the HMT1 and a Marantz SE14mkII for the rears.

Jürgen

Comment

• aphexist
        • Jan 2004

I don't think there is an issue with using separate amps for the front three channels. Perhaps a three channel amp to drive the HTM1 and the surround channels?

I am using an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3 for my 804 and HTM1. It is nearly as powerful as your Classe and can be found for less than $1500.

Biamping with a less capable amp will not be optimal.

Comment

• Phil Rose
          • Aug 2000

I hate to say this but I don't really think that in a HT application you'll notice a huge difference between the CA-401 and what ever amp you place in the center channel provided that the amp is of good quality and has the power needed to drive the HTM1.

In my setup, I have Bryston 7B-STs for the main N802s and use 2 channels of my ATI AT1505 to bi-amp the HTM1 and one channel each for the N804 surround channels. I'll be darned if I can hear a difference in voicing when sounds are panning around the room. Ideally I'd have a bigger amp for the center but, what I have is more than adequate so, I'm not going to change anytime soon.

A question you can ask and answer yourself is, "What is the difference in sound that I hear between the CA-401 and Dennon?". Now this assumes that your not overdriving the Dennon but, if it sounds pretty good now it will certianly sound better with a bigger amp. Also, pay attention to the panning of sound across the front using real material in a real movie watching situation. I think that you'll find the speakers are the largest contributor to the sound and not the amps.

My $0.02

Comment

• tmt
            • Jan 2005

Well my old LCR6 sound "fuller" than the HTM-1 (I only have some 10 hours play on the HTM-1 but it should sound at least as good as the LCR6).
            The denon just don't gets the woofers moving. It's rated 105 Watts in 8 ohm in the manual but I've read it's more like 75 Watts when measured.
            When I have some spare time I'm going to connect one of the outputs from the Classe to the HTM-1 and see (sorry, hear ) what happens.

Comment

• ti33er
              • Apr 2004

tmt, I reckon with the low power output in your Denon, the woofers in the HTM1 are sapping all the power from the FST driver, this is why it sounds kinda 'flat' - you definitely need more juice for the HTM1 - 200W+ to get the best I would guess?

In HT, the centre speaker and bass speakers are the most prominent audio components IMO - natural voice and tight deep bass!? ...just my 2c
              "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"