X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

Opinions of N805, N804, N802

My current setup is N804s for main, HTM2 for CTR, 705s for rear, B&W700 sub to complete my 5.1 setup.

Options I'm considering:

Replace 705s with N805s (~$2000)
    Replace 705s with N804s (~$3000)
    Replace 804s with N802s, then replace 705s with N804s and remove the 700 sub for another room. (~$6000)

My current electronics is Adcom GFA5502, GFA5503 & GFP750 stereo preamp & GFT880 HT preamp.

I'm 50/50 between music and HT. The room is currently small, but could/will be larger as I move.

All these would be purchase used or demo models from dealers.

Any thoughts/opinions?
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Well, there are a number of factors to consider here. Do you have room for 804's as your surround speakers? What if you bought 2 pairs of 805's for 7.1 audio and upgraded your htm2 to an htm1? I had an htm2 w/ my 804's and I hated it. but that is just me. If you can afford it, go for the 802's of course...
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

Thanks for your comments!

Well, 804s do not take any more room than 805s. So, yes I have the room for either for surrounds.

Room is too small for 7.1 (currently).

HTM1 is too big to fit 'in' audio rack that my 60"RPTV sits on.

N802's are awfully tempting...

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

The main question is...are 804's overkill for surround sound? I know their 'IDEAL' for multichannel audio, i.e., SACD or DVD-A.

So, all I would really need is 805s for rear, but the 802s would be a nice improvement on the main stereo speakers.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I used to be very big on having floor standing speakers in my surround areas. I used 603's as rears for a long time. Recently I upgraded them to SCM1's and I don't feel as though I have lost any bottom end, and they blend great with the 804's.

If you were able to trade your 804's in for the 802's and get the 805's for the surround channels, you would have an amazing system and maybe save a few bucks. If you are stuck with the 804's they will be great surrounds and compliment the 802's well. You can't really lose either way.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• junior77blue
            • Nov 2004

So, basically it comes down to money & needs/wants.

805s if money is the issue & 802s if money is no object.

I honestly have never listened to the 802s...so, that is my first objective. How much 'better' are they than the 804s? I will need to do some side by side comparison.

Comment

• DanR
              • Dec 2004

There really won't be any comparison. If you love the 804's, you will be stunned by the 802's. Not even the same ballpark!!
              :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• junior77blue
                • Nov 2004

With the 802s is there a need for a sub for stereo? What about HT?

I'm guessing No for stereo, but HT still might require one.

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

I think that you should go listen to these if you can, your ears may find one speaker better than another. Alot of people like the N802's but to me I prefer th N803's. A sub would be good for 2 channel as well as HT.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• junior77blue
                    • Nov 2004

Well, most definately...for the investment I will be doing some serious long sessions to make sure they are what I'm looking for. My main goal is to have a 'complete' set of 800 series speakers. Anyone of these options will suit that situation. I just don't want any buyers remorse or upgraditis to hit.

Comment

• Fife
                      • Apr 2004

junior77blue,

I think overall consensus is everyone would want N802 over N804 anyday.

1) A pair of N804 is approximately the same as N805 with good stands. Personally I dont think getting N805 with cheap $100 stands is a good idea.

2) Since you have N804, you should technically be getting a HTM1 for your center channel at least for movies since your somewaht a movie buff. :W

which brings me to ..
                      3) I am not sure your Adcom GFA5503 would provide enough quality juice for your N804 + HTM1 to really shine.

4) If you decide to get N802, you still run into problem with #3 but at an even worse scale....$$$

It really also comes down to budget.
                      Since your 50/50, you are sort of on a fence.

This is what I would recommend:
                      N804 front R/L
                      HTM1 for center
                      Replace Adcom 5503 for front 3 channels
                      Keep 705s & Adcom 5502 for rears
                      keep 700 sub
                      keep your Adcom Pre-amp and pre-pro

You may actually want to upgrade your amp first before speakers. I think your speakers are too nice for your Adcoms.

Use your $3k to get a nice 3 channel amp (Bryston, Krell, Proceed, Pass Labs..etc). I think you will notice a huge difference compared to your Adcom.

Sell your Adcom 5503 and HTM2 and get a HTM1.

Keep everything else and stay simple at 5.1.

Once you get a bigger place, then go N802 with better amps and stay 5.1 until you can affrod good amplification for N805 for surrounds/rears/sub.

No point wasting $ on mediocore 7.1 when you could get a solid 5.1 system.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

• Jason R
                        • Jul 2004

My 2p worth,

Make sure your room can accomodate the 802's, mine is just just big enough to take the 804's i could go bigger but i think for my room size they are perfect, if not a little to large.

If your 2ch/ht percentage is 50/50 then you would be better off getting the centre channel upgrade and keeping the 804's and perhaps a great sub.

If it's only for 2 channel then the 802's will always win. Even though i say my room is to small, budget allowing i would squeeze the 802's in. But i have always thought a well balanced system will impress more than a single great component. And remember that once the 802's arrive you are bound to think you need more amplification and the viscious cycle starts over again, but that is the nature of the beast. If i had 7 X 800's plus an ASW850 and full levinson amplification, i would stilll think that i could improve on speaker cables or interconnects, perhaps a better dvd player, it's the way we all are, so i would suggest trying to balance your system as best as possible without creating weak links in the chain elsewhere.

Comment

• junior77blue
                          • Nov 2004

Great input!

Just a couple of comments.

The 5502 was a typo, I have the 5802 driving the front main speakers (804s), the 5503 is driving the rears and center.

And I have just did some measuring, the 802s wouldn't really fit unless I did some major moving around of things in the room. So, I'm having some serious 2nd thougths if they are a viable option at this point.

I've always hesitated with the htm-1 cause of its size. I would need a dedicated stand and then it would sit in front of my tv rack system. Not ideal, but definately not out of the question either. The majority of my gear sits below my LCD RPTV in a open air cabinet. The HTM2, fits nicely into this shelf system.

Comment

• junior77blue
                            • Nov 2004

I'm thinking a photo of my current setup might help representing this dilemma. I've also considered an N803 as well, as that would probably be the largest size speaker that would 'fit' in the set-up I have.

FIFE QUOTE: "1) A pair of N804 is approximately the same as N805 with good stands. Personally I dont think getting N805 with cheap $100 stands is a good idea."

So, based on that statement are you saying to save the money and just buy the N805s vs. N804s?

Comment

• Fife
                              • Apr 2004

Junior77blue,

I have never listened to the 5802 so I can not suggest whether it is adequate or not.

With the 5503, I doubt it will be able to handle the HTM1 properly.
                              In regards to placing the HTM1, Sound Anchor really is your answer as their center channel stand (height adjustable one) is made for the HTM1.

N804 vs N805 is always a tossup.
                              The 804 obviously has better bass but the 805 is more dynamic. Both technically still would need a subwoofer if running in 2 Channel.
                              But for surround use, whatever is cheaper. I guess you dont really need that expensive stands for surround/rear use unless you are very critical of multi-channel audio.

I dont know your financial situation but I would cheap out and just use your 705s for rears.

Dont bother with 803. Save your $ and wait down the road and use it towards 802s.

804s/Htm1 up front.
                              705 for rears.
                              Better amplification and just enjoy.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                • Nov 2004

I'm thinking 805s to replace the 705s makes the most sense for surround, I really want the look/sound of uniform speakers. I can get speakers & stands for under $2k, there might be some haggle room, unsure.

I'm still debating the HTM1 vs. HTM2, but will need to consider that in the mix. What is the going price for a used HTM1 with/without stand?

Comment

• RobP
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2004

Hey Juinor, if you do decide to go with 804;s and a HTM1 let me know, I am getting ready to sell a friends complete B&W system for him, He has 2 pair of black 804's, and brand new in the box HTM1 never used. He is in the process of building a new home with a dedicated HT and is going with the new D series B&W. I will list the stuff soon with prices in the pawn shop area, I think that he has a few other things but that is all that he told be about so far. He has sales recepits for everything.

Robert P.
                                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• junior77blue
                                    • Nov 2004

Well, the N805 are now sold. Based on some other threads it sounds like the 802s might be too big for my current room. 804s are still a possibility...

Soundgravy...I sent you a PM regarding the 804/HTM1...please let me know.

Thanks, sam

Comment

• RobP
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

hey Junior check your in box on your PM
                                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• junior77blue
                                        • Nov 2004

So, where do 803s fit into the mix? Best bang for the buck? Just looking at the specifications, I would think so.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to listen to any of these speakers side by side to dicern the differences. Anyone who has, I'd appreciate their feedback. Thank-you!

Comment

• Fife
                                          • Apr 2004

My opinion is that 803's (N803 & M803) have always been in no mans land.
                                          Stick with either 804's or go up to 802's.

The new 803D are a different beast altogether.

Comment

• Rags
                                            • Aug 2003

Actually its the 804's in many peoples opinion that didnt always sound as good as the other models in the range. A number of people consider the 804 to be the b@stard child and the worst sounding speaker of the old range - it was designed as an after thought (and not by the original designer of the range) to satisfy the American market that was looking for a small floorstander to bridge the price gap between the 805's and the 803's.

And before any 804 owners flame me I would just like to add that I used to own 804's (with pride ) and regardless of the above comments found them to be superb.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                              • Nov 2004

I'm now debating between 803s and 802s...802s might be a tad to big for the room. But after listening to them, I definately have to say the 802s do outperform the 803s, soundstange would be the biggest improvement. Bass response seemed a bit tighter on the 802s as well. But I fear a sub is still required even for 2 channel stereo.

The 803s definately sound fuller than my 804s...

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"