X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johan
    • Dec 2004

Classe CA-2200 with N802

Hi guys! I wonder if anyone have experience of Classe CA-2200 or CA-3200 with N802? Also the difference between CA-M400 and one of the above with N802. What would the extra watts do really? Do I really need them? If I would own 800 or 801 there would be no question but with the N802 I wonder if the hole thing with them being so power hungry isn't a bit exaggerated, (as long as the watts are of good quality that is). I read about some guy going from 300 Bryston watts to 700!! Bryston watts describing what a huge improvement that was on his N802s, I mean, what is that?, wishful thinking? Can they really be that hungry? I am grateful for some down to earth opinions on this one!
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

I have demoed the CA-2200 and CAM-400 back to back with N803's and the improvement of the CAM-400 is subtle. I also demoed the CA-2100 and the difference was a little more noticeable, but not drastic. The CA-2200 is the best back for the buck out of the 3 amps ($3500 for 2100, $5000 for 2200, $10000 for 2 CAM-400). The setup was able to fill a very large damped room with no problem.

Generally, one gets higher wattage for higher quality sound at the level you like to play at, not to get louder sound. With the N802, it's important to get at least 200W and to make sure the amp doubles into 4 ohms since the N802 spend a lot of time there even though their "nominal rating" is 8 ohms... almost all the Classe amps double into 4 ohms.

Comment

• DanR
      • Dec 2004

They are nowhere near as power hungry as people think. I use a Jeff Rowland Model 2 rated at 75w x 2 and the make my N802's sing!!!
      :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• caleb
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DanR
        They are nowhere near as power hungry as people think. I use a Jeff Rowland Model 2 rated at 75w x 2 and the make my N802's sing!!!
        They might sing, but they will never get up and dance with that amp!!

Comment

• Twincam
          • Feb 2004

I have the CA-2200 and it's a fantastic amp, especially togeter with tht pre-amp CP-500 and the CDP-100 CD player. The 802's are for sure a bit more difficult to power than my 804's, but like already mentioned, the amp doubles the power at 4 ohms.

I suggest that you give Hifiklubben a call (Swedish B&W/Classe dealer) to see if you can borrow the amp to try it out at home. I think that they want a full deposit though. Talk with Urban at the Fleminggatan shop in Stockholm, he seems to be one of the "Classe guys" if you know what I mean.

Regards
          TC

Comment

• johan
            • Dec 2004

Twincam, what did you have before CA-2200? Differences now and then? Also, what does it do on its own since my other stuff isn't Classe. I have already spoken to Urban and I will borrow it but its just fun to here what other similar-minded-hifi-nerds has to say. Thanks!!!

Comment

• Twincam
              • Feb 2004

Johan, before this I had a Rotel RSP-1098/RMB-1075 and a Sony DVP-7700. I will use those components in a separate HT setup once we have moved to a bigger house.

Of course the Classe combo is a significant upgrade compared with the "old" stuff (although it sounded quite good already with the "old" stuff IMO), but to a price. And it's not only the poweramp that plays a part in the improved sound of course. The sound is now much more clear and precise, and new details appear. Fantastic. You can also hear that the amp got much better control over the speakers now. I haven't compared the sound just using the new poweramp and with the RSP-1098 and old CD player, but I am sure that I would hear a clear improvement as well.

Regards

TC

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"